From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Sonic Mania Plus||Lab42|
|Windows||August 29, 2017|
|Perspectives||Scrolling, Side view|
|Art styles||Cartoon, Pixel art|
|Series||Sonic the Hedgehog|
|⤏ Go to series page|
|Sonic CD (1996)||1996|
|Sonic 3D Blast||1997|
|Sonic & Knuckles Collection||1997|
|Sonic R (1998)||1998|
|Sonic R (2004)||2004|
|Sonic Adventure (series)|
|Sonic Mega Collection Plus||2006|
|Sonic Racing (series)|
|Sonic 3D Blast (2010)||2010|
|Sonic the Hedgehog||2010|
|Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine||2010|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2||2011|
|Sonic 3 & Knuckles||2011|
|Sonic CD (2012)||2012|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I||2012|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II||2012|
|Sonic Lost World||2015|
|Sonic the Hedgehog (Mobile Decompilation)||2021|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mobile Decompilation)||2021|
|Sonic Colors: Ultimate||2021|
|Retail||Includes the Mania Plus expansion.|
|Epic Games Store|
|Origin||Included with EA Play Pro.|
DLC and expansion packs
|Encore DLC (Sonic Mania Plus)||Includes two additional characters, an enhanced multiplayer mode, and a new set of levels - among other enhancements.|
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/584400/pfx/[Note 2]|
Save game data location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/584400/pfx/[Note 2]|
|Widescreen resolution|| Scaled from 424x240; see Widescreen resolution.
See Custom aspect ratios for narrower aspect ratios (ex: 4:3, 16:10).
|Ultra-widescreen|| Pillarboxed to keep a 16:9 aspect ratio.
See the related Cheat Engine table for a workaround.
|4K Ultra HD||Scaled from 424x240; cutscenes scaled from 1024x512. See Widescreen resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Uses fixed window sizes (1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x) that cannot be stretched by the user.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS||Gameplay is locked to the frame rate and refresh rate. See Frame rate (FPS).|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)|
- The game is made on a definition of 424x240. If you want to have a sharp and clean image, you need to multiply that definition by two each time in windowed mode. On a 1920x1080 monitor, x4 is the best choice, but since this multiplier is not available in the options, you have to set it manually.
|Set windowed resolution manually|
- If you have filter issue after adding the 4x support, you can delete Settings.ini, the x4 multiplier will still be usable in game with correct filter.
- Does not work with Intel iGPUs, see Blurry interpolation between pixels, even when filter is set to none and a integer resolution is set.
|Edit game settings manually|
- The frame rate is partially locked to the refresh rate of the monitor, regardless of V-Sync. A refresh rate of 40 or below will cap the frame rate at 40 FPS, while a refresh rate of 60 or above will cap the frame rate at 60 FPS. A refresh rate between 40 and 60 will cap the frame rate to that refresh rate (so 50 Hz locks the game to 50 FPS).
- The gameplay is synced to the frame rate, and targets 60 FPS to deliver a full speed (100%) experience. This means that 40 FPS (40 Hz or below) will run the game at 66.67% speed (a 1/3 slowdown) and 50 FPS (50 Hz) at 83% speed (a 1/6 slowdown).
|Configure the monitor to run at 60 Hz or higher to play the game at full speed|
Custom aspect ratios
- Sonic Mania supports a maximum aspect ratio of 16:9, but it can be modified for thinner ratios (16:10, 4:3) without using black borders with Hor- screen change.
- Some menus may get cut off, however the in-game camera will adjust appropriately.
|Edit game settings|
Default Steam Input configuration for the DualShock 4
Default Steam Input configuration for the Steam Controller
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Make sure no controller is connected when accessing "Controls" in the Options Menu, otherwise the Steam controller configuration interface opens instead.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||Selecting "Controls" in the Options Menu with a compatible controller connected sends the user to Steam's controller configuration interface.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers||Enable PlayStation 4 controller support in Steam.|
|DualShock button prompts||Use PS4 HUD with Mania Mod Loader for PlayStation prompts; for PS5 button prompts, use PS5 HUD instead.|
|Light bar support|
|Generic/other controllers||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Button prompts||Use PS4 HUD and for ps5 gamepad use  with Mania Mod Loader for PlayStation prompts.
Button prompts for other types of controllers can be found here.
|Simultaneous controller+KB/M||Limited to one device/input scheme per player.|
|Steam Input API support|
|Official controller preset(s)||DualShock 4 and Steam Controller.|
|Steam Controller button prompts||Xbox style prompts only.|
|Separate volume controls||Music and SFX each have their own sliders in the Options Menu.|
|Mute on focus lost||Game pauses when focus is lost.|
|Portuguese||Fan translation by David Pires, download|
Blurry screen and/or black and white cutscenes
|Enable shader support|
Blurry interpolation between pixels, even when filter is set to none and a integer resolution is set
- This can occur on Intel integrated graphics.
|Use dedicated GPU instead|
|Enable integer scaling through your GPU's settings control panel, set the game's fullscreen resolution to it's native 424x240, and disable shader support|
Gameplay is slowed down
|See Frame rate (FPS)|
- "The game favors USB HID for gamepad input, but will fallback to XInput in some situations. Generally this would not be that bad, but it is not very smart about which USB HID input device it chooses. If you have input remapping software present, disable it... do everything you can to avoid your controller showing up in multiple different input APIs. A DualShock 4 controller natively supports USB HID, you do not need the Steam overlay or DS4Windows further confusing this poor little game."
|Fix gamepad issues|
[Input.Gamepad] DisablePS4HID=true EnableNativePS4=true [Input.XInput] Rehook=true PlaceholderMask=1
- Loader that allows the use of fan-made mods.
- Original topic
|Enable developer menu|
|Access debug mode|
Q = Toggle debug mode A = Cycle through objects S = Cycle through types of boxes (only when the box object is selected) W = Spawn an instance of the object
- The game archives reside inside an encrypted file called Data.rsdk, but with this tool it is possible to extract the games sprites, images etc.
Trinitron CRT shader
- A custom CRT screen shader more closely matching the old Trinitron CRTs.
|Use custom ReShade config|
|Operating system (OS)||7, 8.1, 10|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||400 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 256 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|Sound (audio device)||DirectX 9.0c compatible|
- The game launches on Windows Vista too, but this version is not officially supported.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/584400/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (584400) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Sonic Mania · AppID: 584400 · Steam Database
- Steam Community :: Guide :: How to get the sharpest image
- Verified by User:Aemony on 2017-10-02
- Sonic Mania General Discussions - Black & white cutscenes - last accessed on 2018-07-21
- Verified by User:SirYodaJedi on 2019-12-09
- Verified on my Optimus laptop.
- Sonic CD PAR - last accessed on 2020-04-13 | Despite 'SmartOne' saying that it causes the FMVs to be greyscale and that it no longer works with the DRM free executable on AMD, it works with my RX 580
- SMOKE_001 · Tags · Andon M. Coleman / SpecialK · GitLab - last accessed on 2017-08-31
- Steam Community :: Guide :: Access the Developer Menu & Debug Mode
- Steam Community - Has anyone archieved to run Sonic Mania in Windows XP? - last accessed on 2018-02-24