|Bluetooth v2.1+EDR, USB-Micro|
The DualShock 4 has a touch-sensitive pad and a lightbar on it, with the latter required for some PlayStation 4 games when used in conjunction of PlayStation Camera accessory. While the DualShock 4 has 6-axis motion sensing that was carried over from DualShock 3, it abandoned the latter's pressure-sensitive buttons in favor of digital buttons.
Over the years, the DualShock 4 has been available in a wide variety of colors. The default color model is Jet Black.
The first model, with the model name CUH-ZCT1 (commonly refers to as V1), was the launch model of the DualShock 4. The second version that superseded it, model number CUH-ZCT2 (commonly referes to as V2), has longer battery life, improved joysticks and triggers along with support for USB communication on the PlayStation 4 itself. The V2 can be distinguished by being able to see the lightbar LED through the top of the touchpad.
The DualShock 4 is a generic DirectInput controller, so it is not supported by games that use the XInput API unless XInput wrappers like Steam Input are used. Some wrappers can expose additional features such as gyroscope, touchpad control including the ability to change the lightbar color. The 3.5mm audio jack is only functional when the controller is connected wired via Micro-USB or wirelessly using the official adapter which exposes the custom PS4 mode.
- Motion sensing: 6 axis motion sensing (3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis gyroscope)
- 1 × clickable 2 point capacitive touchpad: ᴛᴏᴜᴄʜᴘᴀᴅ (resolution: 1919x941)
- 2 × clickable analog sticks L3, R3
- 2 × analog triggers: L2, R2
- 2 × digital shoulder buttons: L1, R1
- 4 × digital face buttons: △ ᴛʀɪᴀɴɢʟᴇ, ○ ᴄɪʀᴄʟᴇ, × ᴄʀᴏss, □ sᴏ̨ᴜᴀʀᴇ
- 3 × digital functional buttons: sʜᴀʀᴇ, ᴏᴘᴛɪᴏɴs, PlayStation
- 4 × digital directional buttons (d-pad): ↑, ↓, ←, →
- 1 × Mono Microphone via TRRS jack
Use with PC platforms
- The controller does not support XInput natively; additional third-party software such as Steam or an alternative (Windows, Linux) might be required to use the controller in XInput-only games.
- Some older games works only with DS4 V1 controller and don't support V2 controller or don't work with wireless connection through Bluetooth dongle. DS4 V1 emulation helps to fix the issue.
- V2 controller variation automatically installs itself as a DirectInput gamepad with the name "Wireless Controller" under Windows 10. An audio device with the name "Headset Earphone (Wireless Controller)" is also installed, which allows the use of the 3.5mm jack on the controller for audio passthrough. When the DS 4 is plugged in, the Windows audio playback device is automatically switched to "Headset Earphone (Wireless Controller)".
|Connect the controller|
- Games with native controller support might not support Bluetooth connected controllers; requiring a wireless adapter, wired connection, or a XInput wrapper instead.
- Uses normal Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR (but 2.0 + EDR can also be made to work)
- Up to 4 controllers can be connected wirelessly to a single Bluetooth receiver.
- The audio passthrough via the 3.5mm headphone port doesn't work.
- Official Sony PlayStation services such as PS4 Remote Play and PlayStation Now do not support generic Bluetooth connected controllers.
|Pair the controller|
- Official peripheral; required if using PS4 Remote Play or PlayStation Now wireless.
- Games with native controller support may not work with the adapter even if they work with a wired connection.
- Installs itself as an audio device and allows the use of the 3.5mm jack on the controller for audio passthrough.
- Recognized as a DirectInput controller while plugged in, regardless of whether an actual DualShock 4 controller is paired with the adapter or not. This can cause issues with games incorrectly assuming a controller is connected when there isn't.
- Only a single controller can be connected.
- Can be expensive compared to using generic Bluetooth receiver to connect wirelessly.
|Pair the controller|
- Windows 10 has native drivers. When the DS 4 is plugged in for the first time, Windows 10 automatically installs it as a DirectInput gamepad with the name "Wireless Controller". All buttons are tested to work under Windows "Game controller settings". The headset audio device is also installed. When the DS 4 is plugged in, the Windows audio playback device is automatically switched to "Headset Earphone (Wireless Controller)".
|Supported features||reWASD||DS4Windows||Steam||JoyShockMapper||DSAdvance||InputMapper||Gamepad Phoenix|
|Virtual Xbox controller emulation||✓ [N 1]||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Virtual DualShock emulation||✓ [N 2]||✓||✗||✓||✗||✗||✗|
|External Speaker||✗||✗ [N 3]||✗||✗||✗||✗||✗|
|Headphone Jack wirelessly||✗||~ [N 4]||✗||✗||✗||✗||✗|
|Light Bar||✓||✓||✓||✗||~ [N 5]||✓||✗|
|Dead-zone adjustment||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓ [N 6]||✓||✓|
|Virtual Nintendo controller emulation||✓ [N 7]||✗||✗||✗||✗||✗||✗|
|Keyboard & Mouse input emulation||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✗|
|Retro DInput/WinMM compatibility||✗||✗||✗||✗||✗||✗||✓|
|Touchpad as mouse||✓||✓||✓||✗||✗||✗||✗|
|Cemuhook's UDP protocol||✓||✓||✗||✗||✗||✗||✗|
- Allows using controller as Xbox 360 and Xbox One virtual controllers.
- Allows using controller as DualShock 3 and DualShock 4 virtual controllers.
- DS4Windows developer Ryochan7 works on DualShock 4 audio tests
- Requires Sony’s DualShock 4 Wireless USB adapter. It is nit working via Bluetooth.
- Only for battery status. It's not possible control color by action, state, pressed button or macro.
- Possible to change the dead zones of the sticks or other parameters only in the configuration file
- Allows using controller as virtual Switch Pro Controller.
- Xbox controller emulation support.
- A gyroscope and various modes of its operation are supported - mouse emulation, joystick-mouse and driving.
- Easy to use, minimum settings
- Support for only one controller.
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR or higher required for wireless connection.
- Extensive program with high amount of customization. Can be used as XInput, keyboard and mouse wrapper with macros or just as an extend of the controller to use controllers features like touchpad, gyroscope, haptic feedback and lighbar.
- Ability to emulate DS4 V1 controller which can help with older games that don't support V2 controller or don't work with wireless connection through Bluetooth dongle.
- Does not currently support/recognize Bluetooth adapters with chips manufactured by Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) of which there are many.
- The integrated headphone jack and speaker are not supported.
- The headphone jack can only be used via USB and only with a DS4v2 (native gamepad function, unrelated to DS4Windows)
- The headphone jack can only be used wirelessly if the controller is connected via Sony’s DualShock 4 Wireless USB adapter
- Can emulate mouse control on touchpad.
- Possible to set mappings to tap and tap with click for touchpad.
- Can emulate the virtual Xbox 360 controller to play XInput-compatible games.
- Lightbar shows when the battery is Critically low.
- Not possible to map change of lightbar's color by pressing buttons.
- Not free of charge. 14-days trial.
- The site is closed for the countries of Russia and Belarus
- Custom configs for DualShock 4 controller can be found in official Community Configs Library maintained by reWASD users.
- Earlier known as DS4Tool and DS4Windows, not to be confused with current DS4Windows.
- Ad supported donationware.
- Being a DirectInput controller, it's possible to use any of the generic wrappers. See the controller article for those.
- This is caused by controller showing up as two, first as the native, "real" controller (the DirectInput device) and second as the emulated (virtual) controller, which can be the Xbox 360 Controller or also another DualShock 4 version 1.
|Disable emulated XInput controller (profile specific option)|
|Hide DualShock 4 (global option)|
- Controller is natively supported since kernel 3.15.
Light Bar support
- Light bar support may require additional tweaks. For games using the FNA engine, refer to the engine article; for other games, refer to the game-specific articles for details.
- On macOS Catalina (10.15) or later, Bluetooth support is available natively.
- This controller is "Plug and Play" on Chrome OS.
- Capable of making full use of Steam Input due to many overlapping features with the Steam Controller.
- Double inputs, games with native support might see the controller as an Xbox controller.
|Enable Dualshock 4 controller support|
Steam Link compatibility
- Wired or wireless works. Press the PlayStation+Share to power up to be detected by Steam Link. All buttons are mapped correctly.
- Works without any drivers on any operating system that supports Steam.
- Can be used just to send input from a controller to a PC. Go into Streaming options, hit △ and disable video and audio streaming.
- Won't work great unless the streaming device is connected to LAN or a low latency Wi-Fi.
Controller profile and remapping
- Only applicable when the DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment is attached to the DualShock 4.
- Unlike other game controllers with back buttons, the profiles were saved in the attachment itself, so it's possible to attach the same attachment onto another DualShock 4 controller without losing the profiles.
- Because the Back Button Attachment was added in the way that they send emulated input signals to the controller through the extension port, third-party wrappers cannot remap the remappable buttons.
Switching the built-in profiles
|Switching the controller profiles|
|Remapping the buttons|
- Works perfectly fine on PC. Attachment translates their inputs to Dualshock 4 signals what makes attachment compatible with every device which supports DualShock 4 controller.
- Fully configurable - 16 different functions to map to the Back Button Attachment and save up to three profiles.
- Easily programmable - scrolling through every button combination on a compact digital screen and possible to assign them with a single button press.
- Unlike Xbox Elite controller, Paddles cannot be rebinded by any software as attachment is not sending its own signals, just simulate existing ones.
- Share button cannot be mapped to Paddle what may affect some PC configurations where Share is still treated as Select button.
- Adding to controller two remappable paddles.
- Possible to map special behaviour mods: Anti-Recoil Adjustable, Quick Scope, Auto Run, Drop Shot, Rapid Fire, Optimized Rapid Fire, Rapid Fire Adjustable, Pulse Fire Adjustable, Burst Fire Adjustable, MW Jitter, Anti-Recoil, Auto Hold Breath, Turbo Melee, Double Jump, Auto Spot, ADS and Hair Triggers.
- Detachable magnetic paddles allows buy and attach alternate paddles for different hand sizes.
- Requires cable connection.
- XIM APEX provides the highest precision mouse and keyboard (and more) experience on Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 (PS4), Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 (PS3). Software emulates Keyboard+Mouse inputs into signals from controllers connected to third USB port.
- Supports official wireless Playstation 4 DualShock 4 controller connected with a micro-USB cable
- Simple real-time smartphone and tablet-based configuration. Real-time feedback to guide you to your optimal settings.
- Supports existing PlayStation 4-compatible headsets.
- Firmware upgradable.
- Active community forum.
- Needs the controller to be plugged into USB port #3 on the XIM HUB at all times to function.
Support in games
For a list of games, see
- Games with generic DirectInput support are supported by the controller, however button placements may be out of place and need to be rebound. Refer to game-specific articles for rebinding support.
- Supported natively by a growing list of games, allowing the use of the controller and some/all of it supplementary features without any additional software installed.
- Support for some controller features may be only available on certain systems. Refer to game-specific articles for details.
Games with controller's speaker support
- Like for DualSense controller, every game which allows to select separate playback audio device for specific sounds will be supporting controller's built-in speaker, eg. Death Stranding's BB voice audio can be assigned to controller's speaker when other sounds are played from other audio device.
- Number of games which split audio channels and letting assign them to different audio devices is limited and controller's speaker support is still not a PC standard.
- Feature is still in development. See more.
- Projects DS4 Audio Test Windows and DS4AudioStreamer are working to enable DualShock 4 speaker on Windows operation systems.
Games with motion control support
For a list of games, see
- Thanks to JoyShockMapper, Steam Input, reWASD application, gyro control can be remapped to mouse or right stick in any game.
- Number of games which natively support motion controls is limited and gyro support is still not a PC standard.
Games with touchpad support
For a list of games, see
- Touchpad is placed on the front of the controller, the capacitive type touchpad is a clickable 2-point touchpad with a resolution of 1920x900. The functionality of the touchpad can differ from between games. Recognized gestures: zoom, swipe, pinch and scroll.
- Thanks to Steam Input, reWASD or DS4Windows application, touchpad can be remapped to mouse or right stick in any game.
- Number of games which natively support touchpad controls is limited and touchpad support is still not a PC standard.
Games with Light Bar support
Game sees two controllers/game takes two inputs at once
- This is caused by using a XInput wrapper with a game that natively supports both DualShock 4 controllers and XInput devices, causing the game to use both the actual hardware and the virtual XInput controller at once.
|To use the controller natively as a DualShock 4 controller, do any of the following:|
|To use the controller as a XInput device, do any of the following:|
Fast movement without input
- This is most likely caused by game being designed for XInput controllers only, but still taking inputs from DirectInput controllers. What this means is that game is reading Dualshock 4 controllers shoulder axis which are not centered as right stick.
- See the controller glossary page for more information.
|Rebind Controller Buttons|
|Use XInput wrapper|
Worn analog sticks
- Worn analog sticks are a known issue and Sony should've changed rubber material for new controllers. If the controller is still under warranty contact Sony or the retailer for replacement instructions. Worn sticks can also be replaced manually (follow this guide).
- Original, V1: Wireless controller, HWID: 054C:05C4
- New variation (released with Slim and Pro), V2: Wireless Controller, HWID: 054C:09CC
- Wireless Adapter: Device name: DUALSHOCK®4 USB Wireless Adaptor , HWID: 054C:0BA0
|Controller button||Button label and axis|
|L2||Button 7, X-rotation|
|R2||Button 8, Y-rotation|
|Left stick||Button 11, X-axis, Y-axis|
|Right stick||Button 12, Z-axis, Z-rotation|
|PlayStation button||Button 13|
|D-pad up||POV up|
|D-pad down||POV down|
|D-pad left||POV left|
|D-pad right||POV right|
- Wired connection input lag: 10 ms for button press and 9.9 ms for joystick move. Values can be improved to 3.0 ms by overclocking controller's polling rate to 1000Hz. 
- Wireless connection input lag: 2.8 ms for button press and 2.8 ms for joystick move.
|USB (button press)||10.0 ms (± 1.2 ms)|
|USB (joystick move)||9.9 ms (± 1.3 ms)|
|Bluetooth (button press)||3.0 ms (± 1.7 ms)|
|Bluetooth (joystick move)||3.2 ms (± 2.0 ms)|
|USB OC 1000Hz (joystick move)||2.3 ms (± 0.5 ms)|
|DS4v1 USB (button press)||13.9 ms (± 1.2 ms)|
|DS4v1 BT (button press)||4.3 ms (± 3.4 ms)|
- DS4-BT - PS4 Developer wiki - last accessed on June 2023
- Verified by User:Aemony on 2018-04-04
- Steam Community - [FIXED] DS4/Dualshock 4 issues. :( - last accessed on December 31, 2015
- SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCESWIRELESS CONTROLLER FOR PLAYSTATION®4 (DUALSHOCK®4) AND PLAYSTATION®4 EYE - last accessed on 9 June 2023
- Verified by User:Aemony on 2018-04-02
- Verified by User:Aemony on 2018-04-03
- LaptopMag: How to Pair PS4 and Xbox One Controllers in macOS Catalina - last accessed on 2021-07-13
- Valve is adding full DualShock 4 configurability to Steam - PC Gamer - last accessed on June 2023
- Verified by User:Aemony on 2018-04-04
- Verified by User:Yuuyatails on 2023-04-07
- PS4 controllers now shipping with new type of rubber on the sticks - PlayStation 4 Message Board for PlayStation 4 - GameFAQs - last accessed on June 2023
- Sony Responds To DualShock 4 Wearing & Tearing - last accessed on June 2023
- Ultimate Controller Comparison | Input lag, etc. (PS5, PS4, Xbox SX/Elite 2/One, eSwap Pro)