Controller:Xbox 360 Controller
|USB-A, Wireless dongle|
Xbox Controller S
|Xbox Wireless Controller
Hyperkin Xenon Controller
The controller is similar to the Xbox Controller S, but some of buttons have been moved to the more standardized positions, with the white and black buttons present on its predecessor being removed and replaced with two new shoulder buttons. Unlike its predecessor which has the proprietary connector, the Xbox 360 Controller has the standardized USB Type-A connector. It also has a 3.5mm audio jack for audio passthrough.
There are wired and wireless model of the same controller available, with the latter supporting wireless connection through Microsoft Wireless Gaming Receiver.
The Xbox 360 Controller is a native XInput controller, meaning it is supported in games that use the XInput API. While it is supported it DirectInput games, it is not without problem, so a third-party wrapper is needed to transcode the XInput inputs into DirectInput to work. For the Wireless model, it only support wireless connection and requires the use of proprietary Microsoft Wireless Gaming Receiver.
- Microsoft driver maps triggers to the same axis in DirectInput games.
- The Play & Charge Cable does not work for connecting a wireless controller via USB; it is only used for charging.
- The Xbox 360 Chatpad is not natively supported; use the Chatpad Super Driver (wired controllers) or Xbox360wirelesschatpad Driver (wireless controllers). Custom application Controller Companion has experimental support for Chatpad.
- 2 × clickable analog sticks: LS, RS
- 2 × analog triggers: LT, RT
- 2 × digital shoulder buttons: LB, RB
- 7 × digital action buttons: 𝐀, 𝐁, 𝐗, 𝗬, ▶ sᴛᴀʀᴛ, ◀ ʙᴀᴄᴋ, ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ
- 4 × digital directional buttons (D-pad): ↑, ↓, ←, →
- No longer available through Microsoft or Amazon; has been succeeded by the availability of the Xbox Wireless Controller.
- The Transforming D-pad "Special Edition" controller was released on November 9, 2010. Another variant of the Special Edition controller, the "Chrome Series" controller, was released on May 15, 2012. These controllers features a "transforming" D-pad that changes from a semi-flush disc to a pop-out plus sign by twisting the D-pad clockwise. The thumbsticks have also been tweaked and feature a more significantly indented center, making it easier to depress either inward. While previous iterations have used concave thumbsticks, the newest variation has a distinct center pivot and a sharper edge along the rim. Third-party modifications for standard Xbox 360 controllers can deliver a transforming D-pad, but will require modifying the controller's shell for installation.
Use with PC platforms
- The controller/receiver should be automatically detected on Windows Vista and later. If it is not detected or encountering compatibility issues on Windows XP, install the Xbox 360 Accessories Software for both wired and wireless controllers.
|Supported features||reWASD||Steam||Gamepad Phoenix||Controller Companion|
|Keyboard & Mouse input emulation||✓||✓||✗||✓|
|Virtual Xbox controller emulation||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Virtual DualShock emulation||✓ [N 1]||✗||✗||✗|
|Virtual Nintendo controller emulation||✓ [N 2]||✗||✗||✗|
|Retro DInput/WinMM compatibility||~ [N 3]||~ [N 3]||✓||~ [N 3]|
|Motion controls attachments||✓[N 4]||✓[N 5]||✗||✗|
- Allows using controller as DualShock 3 and DualShock 4 virtual controllers.
- Allows using controller as virtual Switch Pro Controller.
- Requires Xidi wrapper.
- ReWASD allows to use Mobile gyroscope as mouse or emulated DualShock 3, DualShock 4 or Switch Pro Controller gyro.
- Steam Link mobile application allows to remap phone gyro to mouse or sticks inputs.
- Guide button can be remapped.
- Allows emulate virtual DS4 controller to play PS4 Remote Play, PS Now or Dualshock 4 compatible games.
- Custom configs for Xbox 360 controller can be found in official Community Configs Library maintained by reWASD users.
- This controller is "Plug and Play" on most distributions of Linux.
- Xboxdrv is an alternative to the stock driver and allows many configuration options.
- Controller can be found in Supported Controller Database and it's correctly recognizable as Xbox 360 controller.
Steam Link compatibility
- Works natively over USB and Wireless Xbox 360 Adapter. All buttons are mapped correctly.
- Works without any drivers on any operating system that supports Steam.
- Can be used just to send input from a controller to a PC. Go into Streaming options, hit 𝗬 and disable video and audio streaming.
- May not work great unless connected to LAN or a low latency Wi-Fi.
- XIM APEX provides the highest precision mouse and keyboard (and more) experience on Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 (PS4), Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 (PS3). Software emulates Keyboard+Mouse inputs into signals from controllers connected to third USB port.
- Simple real-time smartphone and tablet-based configuration. Real-time feedback to users for optimal settings.
- Supports existing Xbox headsets and chatpads.
- Firmware upgradable.
- Active community forum.
- Requires controller to plugged into USB port #3 on the XIM HUB at all times to function.
- Supports official wired Xbox 360 controller but wireless with play-and-charge kit is not supported.
Support in games
- Support for some controller features may be only available on certain systems. Refer to game-specific articles for details.
The Xbox Support website has multiple support pages on using the Xbox 360 Controller with Windows.
- "Using the Xbox 360 controller for Windows" (Archived)
- "Troubleshoot your Xbox 360 controller for Windows" (Archived)
- "Set up your Xbox 360 controller for Windows" (Archived)
- "Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows" (Archived)
- "Configure your Xbox 360 controller for Windows" (Archived)
No force feedback vibration in DirectInput games
- See XInput wrappers. Some games may still not support vibration even with an XInput wrapper installed.
- The Xbox 360 Controller for Windows can't be turned it off with the GUIDE button, except in Games for Windows Live games.
|Use Xbox 360 Controller Manager|
Wireless Gaming Receiver randomly disconnects
- The receiver doesn't work in a USB 3.0 or 1.1 port, only use it in a USB 2.0 port.
Broken Wireless Gaming Receiver
- A very common issue where the Microsoft Wireless Receiver suddenly fails and stops working.
|Bridge bad fuse by soldering|
- If the D-pad is producing inaccurate inputs, following this procedure may fix it.
Wireless Gaming Receiver appears as an unknown device
- This is usually caused by using an aftermarket wireless receiver; the official Wireless Gaming Receiver was never sold separately.
|Manually update the Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver drivers|
- Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows - Required for use of a wireless Xbox 360 controller on PC.
- Headset accessories - Both wired and wireless headsets should work with Windows.
- Xbox 360 Chatpad - Usable with the Chatpad Super Driver (wired controllers only) or Controller Companion (wireless controller supported).
- Device name: Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows), HWID: 045E:028E (wired), 045E:0719 (wireless adapter)
|Controller button||Button label and axis|
|Left stick||Button 9, X-axis, Y-axis|
|Right stick||Button 10, X-rotation, Z-rotation|
|D-pad up||POV up|
|D-pad down||POV down|
|D-pad left||POV left|
|D-pad right||POV right|
- Wired connection input lag: 8.5 ms for button press and 8.3 ms for joystick move.
- Wireless connection input lag: 10.2 ms for button press and 12.6 ms for joystick move.
|USB (button press)||8.5 ms (± 2.3 ms)|
|USB (joystick move)||8.3 ms (± 2.3 ms)|
|2.4GHz Dongle (button press)||10.2 ms (± 2.0 ms)|
|2.4GHz Dongle (joystick move)||12.6 ms (± 2.3 ms)|
- Displays a battery meter for connected XInput controller devices in the Windows taskbar.
- Application emulates the Sony DualShock 4 gamepad using an Xbox controller.
- Allows to use Xbox controller for Sony Playstation Now or Playstation Remote Play applications.
- External Arduino gyroscope for any Xbox or compatible gamepads. Gyroscope emulates mouse movement.
- Some games are incompatible since they are not designed to use a mouse and a gamepad at the same time.
- Some games can constantly change button icons (from keyboard to gamepad and vice versa).
- Xbox 360 Special Edition Chrome Series Wireless Controller - Xbox.com (Archived) - last accessed on 2023-05-02
- LEDs control for Xbox 360 controller - last accessed on June 2023
- web.archive.org - last accessed on June 2023
- Customer review: Zettaguard Wireless PC USB Gaming Receiver for Xbox 360 Compact Disc - Amazon.com - last accessed on 2023-05-03
- Ultimate Controller Comparison | Input lag, etc. (PS5, PS4, Xbox SX/Elite 2/One, eSwap Pro)