|Windows||November 1, 2011|
|Perspectives||Third-person, Side view|
|Series||Sonic the Hedgehog|
|⤏ Go to series page|
|Sonic CD (1996)||1996|
|Sonic 3D Blast||1997|
|Sonic & Knuckles Collection||1997|
|Sonic R (1998)||1998|
|Sonic R (2004)||2004|
|Sonic Adventure (series)|
|Sonic Mega Collection Plus||2006|
|Sonic Racing (series)|
|Sonic 3D Blast (2010)||2010|
|Sonic the Hedgehog||2010|
|Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine||2010|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2||2011|
|Sonic 3 & Knuckles||2011|
|Sonic CD (2012)||2012|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I||2012|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II||2012|
|Sonic Lost World||2015|
- Active modding community. Many mods are recommended for a first-time playthrough. See Mods.
- PC Players receive the "Casino Night Zone DLC" for free.
- The PC Version uses the low resolution 480p cutscenes from the Xbox 360 version. The 720p cutscenes from the PS3 version can be restored using a mod.
- Sonic News Network - A massive wiki for the Sonic the Hedgehog universe
- Sonic Retro - A huge fan site for everything Sonic the Hedgehog. Mods for all the games can be found here
- Steam Community Discussions
DLC and expansion packs
|Casino Night Zone||As of 29/09/2016, all PC Players receive this DLC for free, but is still purchasable.|
Skip intro videos
|Startup logo removal mod|
|Direct3D 9 Ex (Optimized Renderer)|
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/71340/pfx/[Note 2]|
Save game data location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/71340/pfx/[Note 2]|
|Steam Cloud||Approx. 100 MB available.|
|Widescreen resolution||See the WSGF entry for aspect ratios besides 16:9.|
|Multi-monitor||See the WSGF entry.|
|Ultra-widescreen||See the WSGF entry.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
Nvidia users can force SGSSAA in Nvidia Profile Inspector with the
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS||See 120+ FPS notes.|
|120+ FPS||Gameplay is capped at 60 FPS. There are two cappers in place.
To remove the internal cap, hex edit SonicGenerations.exe (a fixed .exe may be need first, which can be obtained from WSGF attachment), and replace both instances of 89 88 88 3C with 2F 8E E3 3B (144 FPS) or 3F 0B 36 3B (360 FPS). As for the external cap (this needs to be done with every launch), open Cheat Engine while the hex edited .exe is running and search for 0.01666666666 as a float in rounded (extreme) mode while "Executable", "Writable" and "CopyOnWrite" is set to "Don't Care". Select the first value brought up (should be 0019FD34), right click and the select "Find out what writes to this value" which opens up a debugger. Continue running the game for a few moments and then select the assembly code presented in the debugger and click "Disassembler". Click on the Opcode and replace it with "nop" (without the quotation marks). Select 'Yes' on the warning screen. Go back to the selected value in Cheat Engine (0019FD34) and replace it's value with 0.00694444 (144 FPS) or 0.00277777 (360 FPS). This will cause Sonic's jump height to be reduced and he will be unable to move while standing still, making Classic Sonic's stages impossible and Modern Sonic's stages slightly harder to complete (some stages require differnet pathes to be taken). These issues should be solved with some physics-altering mods.Cutscenes are either pre-rendered or capped at 30 FPS. The in-engine cut-scenes can be played at higher rates (this needs to be done with every launch). open Cheat Engine while the hex edited .exe is running and search for 0.033333333333 as a float in rounded (extreme) mode while "Executable", "Writable" and "CopyOnWrite" is set to "Don't Care". Select all values then replace them with 0.00694444 (144 FPS) or 0.00277777 (360 FPS). These values are seemingly randomly generated and change with every launch. This will make some mouth animations to be completely out sync wile others are fine. This may be the results of other unnecessary values being changed which can be resolved by check each value every time.
|High dynamic range display (HDR)|
|Force windowed through DxWnd|
|Force windowed through Direct3D 9 Ex (Optimized Renderer) mod|
|Change FOV with Flawless Widescreen|
|Hex edit .exe files|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Keys must be bound to a virtual Xbox 360 Controller. The game will display the matching gamepad buttons instead of keyboard keys in the tooltips.
Certain keys, such as ⇧ Shift, Ctrl, and Alt cannot be bound.
|Mouse input in menus||Only for external configuration tool.|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||XInput controllers only.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers||Use Steam Input.|
|DualShock button prompts||Download Sonic GMI and use the mod from this video's description.|
|Light bar support|
|Generic/other controllers||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Haptic feedback||On by default, no apparent way to disable it.|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Auto configures up to 5.1 output.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Italian||Has some translation issues.|
|Russian||Fan translation, available here.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Fan translation, download.|
|Nvidia 3D Vision||See Helix Mod: Sonic Generations for improved support.|
User created game profile, see vorpx forum profile introduction.
Issues with Nvidia Optimus laptops
|Method 1: "Extend Desktop" Fix|
|Method 2: "Config File Edit" Fix|
Do not manually edit this file, use the configuration tool. NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M \\.\DISPLAY1 1600.900.60 1 1 1 1 0 d7b78e66-4256-11cf-fd56-b424b7c2c535 1515474505
Configuration Tool does not open/crashes
|Config tool crashing|
Crash on startup
|Set sound quality to 24 bit, 48000 Hz|
|Other possible solutions|
- Complete error states
The detected configuration does not match your current hardware. Please run the configuration tool.
|Delete config files and re-run config tool|
Crash when trying to play online ranking mode
|Modern Sonic's Quickstep sound doesn't play|
|Shader Model support||3|
- Many mods provide gameplay and graphical enhancements that are strongly recommended, even for a first play-through.
- Users of Nvidia GPUs utilizing the Turing architecture will encounter issues with some stage mods.
- All mods mentioned below, as well as several others, are listed here.
- The recommended mod manager for Sonic Generations.
- Compatible with older mods that have difficulty running in HedgeModManager.
- This mod uses the 720p cutscenes from the Ps3 version of the game.
- Only Compatible with Hedgehog Mod Manager Via the 720p Video Player Code.
- Mod manager for all Hedgehog Engine titles. Required for all non-exe mods. 
- Some older mods have issues running in HedgeModManager. If this is the case, use SonicGMI instead.
- Ensure "Enable save file redirection" is checked in HedgeModManager so that the mod uses its own save file called "cpkredir.sav", instead of "sonic.sav" which is linked to the Steam Cloud. That will avoid save file progress being accidentally overwritten or lost.
- Older mods may still be able to run in HedgeModManager by editing the "mod.ini" file inside mod folers. The "IncludeDir0=" code is what causes older mods to not run in HMM. When that code tries to specify a location, for example (IncludeDir0="./mods/Sonic 2006 Voice (Sonic)") it won't run because the location specifications is made to work with SonicGMI and not HMM. Changing it so it only shows (IncludeDir0=".") solves the problem and makes the older mods fully compatible with HedgeModManager.
- Minimal to no performance impact.
- Generations renders generic shadows at 90° angles, this mod enables true directional shadows and light shafts, as well as some graphical tweaks.
- Also includes a version for the "Unleashed Project v1.0".
- A hex modification to the executable which increases the game's shadow resolution.
- Only for the shadows cast by dynamic objects, not those that are baked into the levels themselves.
- May impact performance.
- Included as a toggleable code in HedgeModManager.
- Increases the resolution of the HUD elements.
- Adds in the Casino Night cutscene missing from the PC version.
- Unleashed Project Mod comes with Sonic Unleashed day stages ported from the Xbox 360 version with many graphical and minor gameplay improvements, as well as its own hub world.
- Does not work out of the box on Turing GPUs, However a Workaround has fixed this. See: workaround .
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista||7|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 2.0 GHz||Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz
AMD Phenom II X4 3.0 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB (XP)
3 GB (Vista, 7)
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||11 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 8800 |
ATI Radeon HD 2900
512 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9 compatible
|Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
ATI Radeon HD 5850
1 GB of VRAM
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/71340/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (71340) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Steam Community :: Guide :: Mods for Sonic Generations
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Setting Up, Troubleshooting, Configuring and Optimizing the Game – Noob & Pro Guide
- Unleashed Project • Issue #42 • thesupersonic16/HedgeModManager • GitHub
- What's the difference between HedgeModManager and SonicGMI? :: Sonic Generations General Discussions