From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
This page is a stub: it lacks content and/or basic article components. You can help to by adding an image or additional information.
- For the best audio playback, Windows 10 is recommended over Vista/7/8.x for clear and accurate sound due to improvements made in the audio subsystem, including a decrease in audio latency.
- 1 Speaker setup
- 2 Issues fixed
- 3 References
- Many games use the speaker configuration reported by the operating system so having it set correctly is crucial.
|Configure speaker layout (Windows)|
Sound problems (cracking, delays, missing music/effects, etc.)
|Set sound quality to 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Windows Vista and later)|
|Adjust hardware sound acceleration level (Windows XP only)|
No surround sound
|See Restoring DirectSound hardware path for DirectSound games|
|Make sure OpenAL games aren't using outdated libraries|
|Verify DS and OAL games hardware buffers number|
Game volume decreases
|Disable communications activity sound reduction|
Can't enable EAX
- Please refer to Restoring DirectSound hardware path for more information.
CD music not playing
CD-DA music (shows up as a music CD in media players)
|Verify CD is in the "CD-ROM 0" drive|
|Change drive ID order|
Non-CD-DA music (does not show up as a music CD in media players)
|Verify drive letter is correct|
- Microsoft Docs - Windows drivers - WDM Audio Support in Different Versions of Windows - last accessed on 2018-12-02
- Windows 10 Promises Better Audio & MIDI Performance, Easier App Development - last accessed on 2018-12-01
- Reddit - /r/Windows10 - Improved Audio in Windows 10 - Comment by Pete Brown, Microsoft Principal Program Manager - last accessed on 2018-12-02
- PCGamingWiki Forum - Sound and Windows 10 - last accessed on 2018-12-01
- Verified by User:Silent on 2019-07-19