Need for Speed (2016)
|Windows||March 15, 2016|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase, DLC, Subscription gaming service|
|Genres||Racing, Open world|
|Vehicles||Automobile, Street racing|
|Themes||Contemporary, North America|
|Series||Need for Speed|
|⤏ Go to series page|
|The Need for Speed||1994|
|Need for Speed II||1997|
|Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (series)|
|Need for Speed: High Stakes||1999|
|Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed||2000|
|Need for Speed: Underground (series)|
|Need for Speed: Most Wanted (series)|
|Need for Speed: Carbon||2006|
|Need for Speed: ProStreet||2007|
|Need for Speed: Undercover||2008|
|Need for Speed: Shift (series)|
|Need for Speed: World||2010|
|Need for Speed: The Run||2011|
|Need for Speed Rivals||2013|
|Need for Speed (2016)||2016|
|Need for Speed Payback||2017|
|Need for Speed: Edge||2017|
|Need for Speed Heat||2019|
|Need for Speed Unbound||2022|
- This game requires a constant internet connection for all game modes.
For the original 1995 game, see The Need for Speed.
- This game requires constant internet connection, even in singleplayer mode.
- Game can not be paused, even in singleplayer mode.
- All DLC is free.
|Microsoft Store||Deluxe Edition. Included exclusively with Xbox Game Pass for PC as part of its version of EA Play.|
|Origin||Deluxe Edition included with EA Play.|
|Steam||Deluxe Edition. Included with EA Play (Steam).|
- All versions require Origin DRM, Denuvo Anti-Tamper DRM and a constant internet connection for all game modes.
- Deluxe Edition includes the Styling Pack, Performance Pack, Tricked-out starter Car, Exclusive wraps, Unique Identifying Sticker, VIP Icon, and Lifetime discount on all items using in-game currency.
|One-time game purchase||The game requires an upfront purchase to access.|
|Subscription gaming service||Available via EA Play.|
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Need for Speed\settings\|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/1262540/pfx/[Note 1]|
- All save game data is stored online on EA's servers.
|Multi-monitor||See the WSGF entry.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||Use NFS16 Cinematic Tools (also allows daytime).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||FXAA, TAA. Aliasing can be reduced by increasing the render resolution.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||200 Fps Cap|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||See the glossary page for potential alternatives.|
Increase render resolution
|Add launch option|
- This mod removes the fog, rain on lens, chromatic aberration, vignette, and other filmic effects.
|Disable film grain|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||XInput controllers only. For racing wheel support, check here.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers||Use DS4Windows to emulate Xbox Controller|
|DualShock button prompts||For DualShock, use the DualShock 4 Button Prompts for Need for Speed 2016.|
|Light bar support|
|Generic/other controllers||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls||Music, Effects and Cop Voice, Pursuit Music, Playlist Music can turned on/off|
|Surround sound||Optional "Stereo mixdown"|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Royalty free audio|
|Polish||Copies bought in Poland are region locked to Polish and Russian alone. Choosing any other languages is impossible.|
|Russian||Region locked if bought in Russia via Origin, meaning that other languages than Russian and Polish in game settings will be inaccessible.|
Map chunks fail to load on time / falling through the ground
- Many gamers still report this to be an unsolved issue
- This issue is related to content streaming from hard drive and is likely to occur on slower hard drives.
- The issue may be avoided by allowing the game to use more RAM.
|Close unused programs (e.g. your web browser)|
|Install the game on SSD|
|Disable ShadowPlay (if using Nvidia)|
Enable Windows 7 compatibility mode for the
|Disable Windows DVR (if using Windows 10)|
|(for HDD) Install the game on D: (if pagefile is on C: by default; otherwise - in reverse)|
|Operating system (OS)||7|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core i3-4130||Intel Core i5-4690|
|System memory (RAM)||6 GB||8 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||30 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti |
AMD Radeon HD 7850
2 GB of VRAM
DirectX 11 compatible
|Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
AMD Radeon R9 290
4 GB of VRAM
- A 64-bit operating system is required.
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/1262540/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (1262540) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Need For Speed FAQ Sept. 14 Release
- "The PC version of this Software uses Origin Online Activation and Sony DADC Austria AG’s Denuvo content protection technology". Need for Speed EULA.
- Need for Speed on Twitter: "@DeanRheims NFS will require an online connection, but the benefits are nice. More variety and a more rewarding experience with friends." - last accessed on 9 June 2023
- Re: Anti Aliasing for PC Version! - Answer HQ - last accessed on May 2023
- This mod for Need for Speed removes its annoying chromatic aberration and vignette effects | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming
- Verified by User:Suicide machine on 2021-09-04
- Copy bought on Origin itself. May apply to keys as well, based on experiences from Battlefield: Hardline and Need for Speed Payback.
- Verified by User:Hargabt on 2023-01-22
- I own the game in Origin and other languages except Russian and Polish are absent Origin copies. This should not apply to Steam version, based on my experience of having a copy of NFS Heat on Steam and all languages on it being available.
- /r/NeedForSpeed - Falling through the map - last accessed on May 2023
- PC Issue - Map doesn't load in time