Need for Speed: High Stakes
|Windows||September 29, 1999|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see Availability for affected versions).
|⤏ Go to series page|
|The Need for Speed||1994|
|Need for Speed II||1997|
|Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (series)|
|Need for Speed: High Stakes||1999|
|Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed||2000|
|Need for Speed: Underground (series)|
|Need for Speed: Most Wanted (series)|
|Need for Speed: Carbon||2006|
|Need for Speed: ProStreet||2007|
|Need for Speed: Undercover||2008|
|Need for Speed: Shift (series)|
|Need for Speed: World||2010|
|Need for Speed: The Run||2011|
|Need for Speed Rivals||2013|
|Need for Speed (2016)||2016|
|Need for Speed Payback||2017|
|Need for Speed: Edge||2017|
|Need for Speed Heat||2019|
- DirectX (when modified to recognize modern graphics cards, see Issues fixed) and Glide renderers give equal graphical quality.
- The game is unplayable without patches on new systems. See Essential improvements.
- Released as Need for Speed: Road Challenge in Europe, Need for Speed: Brennender Asphalt in Germany, Over Drivin' IV in Japan and Need for Speed : Conduite en état de liberté in France.
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
Need For Speed 4 Modern Patch
- Download: http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs4/
Change resolution and refresh rate under ./drivers/nglide/thrash.ini
Need for Speed: High Stakes Stock Pack (SP) and Expansion Pack (EP)
- Guide and download: http://www.hsscoring.com/HSGuide/
The Stock Pack is designed to improve the Single-Player experience in High Stakes, patching the game to the final version, fixing various bugs discovered since the game's support period ended and adding compatibility with modern graphics cards.
The Expansion Pack is designed to improve the Multiplayer experience, with all of the improvements in the Stock Pack as well as adding support for the modern Online Multiplayer service made for the game and more cars and tracks used on that service on a regular basis.
Patch 4.50 (Internet Beta Test Patch) updates the game to the latest version.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Use Need for Speed High Stakes Widescreen Fix. Main menus are locked at 640x480.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||"Narrow" and "Wide" options available in the 'View Angle' setting in the Basic Graphics menu. Widescreen option in the same menu can widen the horizontal FOV further, though narrows the vertical FOV.|
|Windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Game will accept settings forced in graphics card configuration panel.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Triple Buffering only.|
|120+ FPS||64 fps cap|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Most keys for both players are rebindable, however some (Such as Pause and Screenshot) are locked and cannot be rebound.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||The game supports all functionality of DirectInput compatible controllers, however it assumes a Racing Wheel with digital pedals will be used.|
|Full controller support||Controllers cannot be used to navigate menus.|
|Controller remapping||Gamepads require their buttons to be rebound to functions manually for the best effect. Controller key bindings overwrite Keyboard ones and are lost if the game is started without a controller connected.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Haptic feedback||To enable Force Feedback on an XInput controller (Like the Xbox 360 Controller), see XInput force feedback vibration in DirectInput games.|
- Mouse support is limited only to navigating menus.
|Separate volume controls||Menu Music, Race Music, Effects, Engine and Speech sliders available.|
|Surround sound||Stereo, Mono and DS3D/EAX.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Local play||2||Versus, Co-op
Co-op is Hot Pursuit mode only.
|LAN play||8||Versus, Co-op
Co-op is Hot Pursuit mode only.
|Online play||8||Versus, Co-op
Connect as if connecting to a LAN game. Co-op is Hot Pursuit mode only.
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
- A Standard installation of the High Stakes Stock Pack fixes all of the known bugs in the game. See above. Individual fixes are given below for convenience.
1 MB RAM Bug (XP, Later)
When running the game on Windows XP or later, the game gives a 1MB of RAM error and does not save progress or settings.
|Install 1MB Error Patch|
Crash on Start Issue (Vista, Later)
When running the game on Windows Vista or later, the game refuses to start, giving an Invalid Argument exception.
|Install NFS:HS Stock Pack|
|Start game with -PatchRestart switch|
|Start game using PatchNFS.exe|
Run the game from
Direct3D doesn't appear in the 3DSetup tool
When configuring 3D acceleration using the 3DSetup tool, only Software Renderer appears in the list.
|Install New 3DSetup|
|Operating system (OS)||9x, NT, 2000||9x, NT, 2000|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 200 MHz||Intel Pentium 266 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||32 MB||64 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||50 MB||350 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 2 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 6.1 compatible
| 8 MB of VRAM
DirectX 6.1 compatible
|Sound (audio device)||100% DirectX 6.1+ Compatible||100% DirectX 6.1+ Compatible|
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Recommendations for Gamers -- Soundblaster.com