Need for Speed: Carbon
|EA Black Box|
|macOS (OS X)||TransGaming Inc.|
|Windows||November 1, 2006|
|macOS (OS X) (Cider)||August 17, 2007|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase|
|Vehicles||Automobile, Street racing|
|Series||Need for Speed|
|⤏ Go to series page|
|The Need for Speed||1994|
|Need for Speed II||1997|
|Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (series)|
|Need for Speed: High Stakes||1999|
|Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed||2000|
|Need for Speed: Underground (series)|
|Need for Speed: Most Wanted (series)|
|Need for Speed: Carbon||2006|
|Need for Speed: ProStreet||2007|
|Need for Speed: Undercover||2008|
|Need for Speed: Shift (series)|
|Need for Speed: World||2010|
|Need for Speed: The Run||2011|
|Need for Speed Rivals||2013|
|Need for Speed (2016)||2016|
|Need for Speed Payback||2017|
|Need for Speed: Edge||2017|
|Need for Speed Heat||2019|
|Need for Speed Unbound||2022|
- The macOS (OS X) version of this game does not work on macOS Catalina (version 10.15) or later due to the removal of support for 32-bit-only apps.
It was released in North America and Taiwan on November 1, 2006, in Europe on November 3, 2006, in Australia on November 16, 2006 and in Japan on December 21, 2006.
The PC port of this game is based on the Xbox 360 version, in which some post-processing effects such as the blur effect applied on the street lights as seen on the PS3 version is missing. The motion blur effect also resembles the Xbox 360 version, rather than the more subtle rendition seen on PS3. The quality of the live action/pre-rendered cutscenes are also worse than the 7th-gen console release counterparts..
Physical Collectors copies were used to activate on Origin, but now they no longer do.
This is the only "Need for Speed" title to be released for MacOS X.
|Retail||SafeDisc v4 DRM[Note 1], Collectors Edition also available|
|Origin (unavailable)||Collectors Edition Only|
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
- This game is no longer available digitally.
- A demo is available here. Progress/achievements does not carry over to the main game.
- Collectors Edition content includes four exclusive vehicles, specially tuned cars, six exclusive races, three exclusive challenges (with three races per Checkpoint, Pursuits, Race Wars) and a bonus DVD.
|One-time game purchase||The game requires an upfront purchase to access.|
Skip intro videos
|Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix|
|Delete/rename video files|
- Might require the 1.4 patch.
- Fixes several issues and adds proper support for widescreen resolutions, gamepads, increased audio quality, increased shadow resolution and much more.
|Install ThirteenAG's Fix|
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Need for Speed Carbon\[Note 2]|
|macOS (OS X)|
Save game data location
|OneDrive||Requires enabling backup of the Documents folder in OneDrive on all computers.|
|Widescreen resolution||Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix.|
|Multi-monitor||Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix and NFSC HUD Adapter.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix and NFSC HUD Adapter.|
|4K Ultra HD||Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Windowed||Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Limited to an 'Anisotropic' option.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Up to 4x FSAA.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||No frame rate cap. The facial captured animation seen on in-engine character models are capped at 30 FPS. Some elements are internally rendering at 60 FPS. See Change physics frame rate.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||See the glossary page for potential alternatives.|
|Ray tracing (RT)|
|Set custom FOV|
|Change motion blur with ThirteenAG's Fix|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Menu buttons and look back (when racing, always L) cannot be rebound.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix to adjust deadzone.|
|Full controller support||Use NFS XtendedInput.|
|Controller remapping||Use NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix for proper menu navigation.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|XInput-compatible controllers||Use NFS XtendedInput.|
|Xbox button prompts||Use NFS XtendedInput.
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers||Use NFS XtendedInput.|
|DualShock button prompts||Use NFS XtendedInput.
|Light bar support|
|Controller hotplugging||Use NFS XtendedInput.|
|Haptic feedback||DirectInput controllers only. For XInput controllers, see here.|
- Improves gamepad support by implementing native XInput support into the game.
- Reimplements console-like controls with replacing zoom in/out function to its Xbox 360 counterpart and fixing its behaviour in Photo Mode
- Xbox and PlayStation prompts are both supported.
- Rebinding can be made only through .ini file. It's disabled in game menu, as for now it crashes the game.
- Controls are reset to default.
|Separate volume controls||Sound Effects, Car, Speech, Menu Music and In-Game Music sliders available.|
|Surround sound||Limited to a 'Surround' option. Up to 5.1 output.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Royalty free audio||Free roam uses licensed music. Races use scored music.|
- Though the game does not use EAX, Creative Alchemy still can be used to enhance sound quality. It will just emulate DirectSound and 3D positional audio with OpenAL. Difference can be easily noticeable when music is off. For non-Creative cards users see here or use dsoal. Run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode to avoid crashing career mode while using Alchemy/DSOAL (alternatively as admin, or use 13AG widescreen which will most likely fix the issue). Sometimes whole career need to be started from the beginning with compatibility mode and Alchemy enabled. The solutions are to avoid disappearing car in career menu and crash after attempt to race. Alternative fix for the issue can be found here. Compatibility mode can cause resetting of the game settings. Please note that attempt of changing details in the game (renderer reset after returning from video settings), and either alt tabbing, have an influence on audio quality, also giving diffreent results depending on g_AudioMode setting to 0, 1 (default) or 2 in registry. Consider also setting 24 or 32 bit 192 kHz in Control Panel>Sound>[Default Device]>Advanced.
|Enable subtitles|
|English||English subtitle only available natively in Asian releases by manually change the game's language. For others, see Subtitles.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Fan translation, download.|
|Russian||Official localization by 1C-Softclub is here.
Version with added subtitles is here (requires setting
|Russian||Fan translation by «ENPY Studio»|
|Slovak||Fan translation, download.|
|Latin American Spanish|
|Ukrainian||Fan translation, download.|
Manually change game's language
|Registry edit to change game language|
|Local play||2||Console versions only.|
|Online play||8||Online servers were shut down in August 31, 2021.|
Change physics frame rate
- This makes everything in the game smoother, such as the drift force being applied much smoother to the car.
|Install NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix|
Poor frame rate and crashes
|Install DirectPlay|
Controller deadzone issues
|Fix left stick deadzone|
Unable to load save game
|Fix save game loading crash|
Stuttering in Windows 10
|Fix stuttering once every second|
Crashes in Challenge Series
|Fix crashes during certain races|
Game does not save the graphics options
|Enable the local settings file|
Game can't be uninstalled
eauninstall.exeerror: "The program can't start because EAInstall.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
|Fix uninstall error|
|macOS (OS X)||This 32-bit-only macOS game does not work on macOS Catalina (10.15) or later.|
- Bumps up quality of the UI and includes 60 fps barrier animations and Need for Speed 2015 styled map (optional), use HUD Resizer for resizing if needed.
- Scales the resolution of road, vehicle, and rear view mirror reflections.
- Fixes misaligned vehicles reflections and other problems.
- Controls the amount of blur used for road reflections and increases its resolution.
- Replaces the original SD quality live action/pre-rendered cutscenes with QHD 1440p resolution videos, upscaled from the Xbox 360 version of the game.
- Also looks great on FHD 1080p and UHD 4k displays.
- Video freezes can occur on modern systems due to the old nature of the game (this is also the case with the original SD quality videos).
- Make sure you installed NFS Carbon Widescreen Fix and set
FMVWidescreenMode = 2, otherwise all videos will be vertically stretched.
- Adds various new settings and fixes vanilla game bugs.
- Basic implementation of Xbox rain droplets from SkyGFX for other games.
- Script mod which fixes some issues and makes some improvements for add-on cars.
- Fixes softlock when the player's car breaks down in a race.
- Enables an unused graphics option and other tweaks.
- High quality Vinyls.
- This mod ports Visual Treatment filters and Sky Shaders from World to Carbon.
- Graphics mod with rain puddles.
- This mod makes the game play licensed tracks instead of crew OST during races.
- This mod provides full control over the CG fog settings.
- This mod provides some new crew stuff.
Rainy weather modifications
|Force rainy weather|
|Change size of rain drops|
|Xbox Rain Droplets|
|Operating system (OS)||2000 SP4, XP SP2|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 4 1.7 GHz||Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||512 MB||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||4.7 GB (Retail)||11 GB (Download)|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce3 Series/4 Ti Series |
ATI Radeon 8500
64 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0 compatible
|Nvidia GeForce 6800
ATI Radeon 9800
128 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|macOS (OS X)|
|Operating system (OS)||10.4.9|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||6 GB|
|Other||8x DVD-ROM drive|
- Integrated Intel graphics cards are not supported.
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 or Windows 11 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- Applications writing to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWAREwill be redirected to other locations based on various criterias, see the glossary page for more details.
- Solved: Is NFS Carbon Redeemable on Origin - Answer HQ - last accessed on 2020-12-03
- Need for Speed™ : Carbon - Save File Editor Tutorial - last accessed on 9 June 2023
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Need For Speed Carbon Widescreen Fix - GitHub - last accessed on 2022-12-05
- Verified by User:Nessy on 2022-12-05
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up - last accessed on May 2023
- xfi.blogspot.com - last accessed on May 2023
- NFS Carbon, PC splitscreen | GBAtemp.net - The Independent Video Game Community
- EA Online Services Shutdown: I-Q - last accessed on 2023-01-02
- Need for Speed - Analog sticks deadzone · Issue #165 · ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack - last accessed on 2017-04-05
- (FIX) EAINSTALL.dll problem uninstalling NEED FOR SPEED CARBON - YouTube - last accessed on May 2023
- Fun Stuff! #2 - [NFSC] Enhanced Visual Treatment + Fog + Clear Sky - YouTube - last accessed on 9 June 2023
- 2. Configuration · Aero52/NFS-SH-WidescreenFixWiki Wiki - last accessed on 9 June 2023
- Need for Speed: Carbon for Macintosh (2007) Tech Info - MobyGames - last accessed on 2019-12-10