This page is for the remastered version. For the original 2007 PC port, see Resident Evil 4.
Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition is a third-person action horror shooter game developed by Capcom and ported by QLOC. It is an updated version of Resident Evil 4.
The Ultimate HD Edition of Resident Evil 4 was developed in response to the poor quality of the initial 2007 PC port from Sourcenext. This port was based off the 2011 HD version of the game on Xbox 360, which in turn was based off the 2007 Wii edition with the extra content from the PlayStation 2 port. It also features alternative color filter options, some improved HD textures, keyboard and mouse support, and the ability to play the game at 60 or 30 FPS. The game, however, was originally designed around a 30 FPS cap, and various issues, both minor and major, can occur when playing at 60 FPS; see Issues unresolved for details. Mouse controls are also a hit-or-miss; some players reported the mouse aiming worked fine while others experience issues such as unresponsiveness, possibly to the extent of being unplayable. A controller is recommended if you are experiencing such issues with mouse aiming. Unfortunately, the low-quality PlayStation 2 FMV sequences are also carried over in the Seperate Ways campaign and a few other scenarios in this port. There were some other issues initially with this port, but some of them have been addressed with patches.
There is a modding community for this version of Resident Evil 4 after moving from modding the previous 2007 PC port. One of the most ambitious projects available is the Resident Evil 4 HD Project, which aims to completely revise the game's stock HD textures.
- Steam Community Discussions
- Modding forum
- Steam DRM. All versions require
Resident Evil 4 HD Project is a mod aiming to revise the textures of the game. It intends to be very faithful to the original look, as the creators even went to the real-life European locations to capture photos of the art and architecture. It also re-does effects such as lighting so that they make more logical sense, while fixing some of the environmental problems leftover in the game.
- here. These are still yet to come: Characters, enemies, background files, and some effects (blood, fire) and lighting retouchments. There is no release date for the next version.
Current version was released July 13, 2018, which basically covers the vast majority of the environments. A trailer with comparisons is
- here. Windows 10 users may encounter problems installing the HD Project using the provided .bat file. If so, see here. For instructions on downloading and installing the HD Project, see
re4_tweaks is a project designed to fix and tweak small features of the game, such as increasing the FOV and disabling film grain.
Skip intro videos
Configuration file(s) location
Some settings are tied to the game's save file.
Save game data location
Save file is tied to the player's Steam account.
Vsync is forced on by default.
-  It is recommended to set in-game brightness to the MAX level. Any value below the maximum will make the whites look like bright gray. Beyond that, lowering the brightness does not give you more detail (you’ll only get a duller image).
DirectInput controller remapping.
||In-game controller remapping does not affect the pre-defined menu controls for DirectInput controls.
||Option menus uses keyboard prompts. Some Xbox buttons are displayed mixed with generic ones when using DirectInput device. Install DualShock Button Prompts mod for PlayStation 3 prompts.
- Original post here.
This mod adds PlayStation buttons.
- DualShock 4. Use of an XInput wrapper is required. Even though game does support DirectInput and button rebinding, game will show wrong buttons mixed with generic button prompts with
|Separate volume controls
||Up to 7.0 output; Some SFX are positional, some are mono. Poor positional audio implementation.
||Not for English.
|Mute on focus lost
||See Mute on focus lost.
Mute on focus lost
Set mute in background|
- Install Special K by following the Special K Unofficial Guide. Manual local installation may work better.
- Start the game once and close it to allow the configuration file of Special K to be created.
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\Profiles\bio4.exe\SpecialK.ini depending on the installation method you used.
Issues when running the game at 60 FPS
Various issues, both minor and major, can occur when playing at 60 FPS due to the game being originally designed to play at a 30 FPS cap. Issues when playing at 60 FPS includes the following:
- The game engine cannot skip frames, which means if it can't maintain a capped 60 (or 30) FPS, it will run in slow motion.
- Some animations weren’t ported properly, such as the rifle and bow reloading, and appear jarring in contrast to the rest of the game.
- All effects generated by animated textures (flames, for example) are still running at 30 FPS.
- Aiming may become accelerated and jittery, making it harder to properly aim with your weapon.
- The frequency of certain effects and events, such as the speed in which water moves, are at 2x speed.
- Minor differences in the spawn behavior of some enemies/areas.
- The Black Knights' death animation runs twice as fast at 60 FPS.
- Leon's hitbox is bigger at 60 FPS and does not get reduced anymore by the Ditman glitch.
Low frame rate
-  Alternatively, lock the game's frame rate to 30 FPS if your system cannot maintain stable 60 FPS gameplay. If you are playing the game and it suddenly slows down, load the map and exit.
Mouse aiming problems
-  This can potentially be improved by changing the aim mode to "Modern" and adjusting the sensitivity level. Locking the game's frame rate to 30 FPS can help stabilize the player's aiming. Some players have reported problems using the mouse to aim their weapon.
No video on monitors with high refresh rates / Game runs at incorrect refresh rate
Fullscreen mode defaults to 60 Hz, even if the screen refresh rate is set higher than that.
-  Some QTEs, such as the minecart and the statue bridge, were not re-timed for 60 FPS, so they require twice as many button presses in the same time frame.
- Install re4_tweaks.
- Make sure
FixQTE is set to
Crashes after ~15 minutes of gameplay
Stop Touch Keyboard service|
- Open Task Manager.
- Go to Services.
- Identify "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" (TabletInputService).
- Stop the service.
- Launch the game.
Disable Bitdefender antivirus|
Known affected areas are Chapters 1-3 "swamp area" and 3-1 "castle water room".
Button prompts not showing
Game would not show you any prompts for context actions and in QTEs.
|Shader Model support
Natural Gradient mod
This mod is for those who dislike the default color filters. The in-game brightness options can also be raised to give the desired effect.
How to install Natural Gradient Mod|
- Back up the original
gradients folder before using this mod.
- Download the modified gradients here.
- Extract the contents of the archive to
<path-to-game>\BIO4\Gradients\, replacing the original gradient files.
- Now run the game and change the color filters from the Video Settings menu as desired. You should now see the new gradients taking effect.
Filters used in Natural Gradient mod.
- Contrast boost
- GameCube/Wii color temperature
- GameCube/Wii color temperature with subtle contrast boost
- Horror filter, uses warmer red colors for a foreboding atmosphere.
Shaders Fix and Film Grain Removal mod
This mod removes the film grain effect present in the game while adjusting some of the shader effects.
Alternatively, the film grain can be disabled in
- DualShock button mod, Just download this variant. Now is compatible with the
How to use Film Grain Removal mod|
- Back up the original
07000000.pack.lfs files from
<path-to-game>\BIO4\ImagePack (original textures) and
<path-to-game>\BIO4\ImagePackHD (HD textures).
- Download the Shaders Fix and Film Grain Removal mod here.
- Go into the
<path-to-game>\BIO4\ImagePackHD\ folders and delete their respective
- Extract the contents of the zip archive and copy the modified
07000000.pack file into the
- Now run the game. You should now be able to play the game without the film grain with some shader adjustments.
Manual film grain removal method
- Backing up the vanilla
07000000.pack.lfs files is recommended before removing the film grain effect manually. The procedure may differ if you are using mods.
How to remove film grain manually|
- Download the YZ2Tool here, and extract the contents of
YZ2tool.rar to its own folder in a convenient location on your computer (e.g. Documents). You will also need to install an image editing program that support
*.dds texture files such as Paint.net.
- Go to
<path-to-game>\BIO4\ImagePack (original textures) and copy the
07000000.pack.lfs files into the folder where you have installed YZ2Tool along with its executable and
- Drag and drop the
07000000.pack file onto the
unpack-all.bat file and you should see a new
07000000 folder containing a number of
- Browse through the contents of the newly created
07000000 folder, then search for the file
0193.dds and open it with Paint.net.
- After opening the
0193.dds file in Paint.net, simply press Ctrl+A to select the entire image, then press Delete to erase the film grain effect on the texture file, and then save the changes on the file.
- Now take the
07000000 folder and drag and drop it onto the
repack-all.bat file, and you should see the
07000000.pack file has been modified. Delete the
07000000 folder after the new
07000000.pack has been repacked.
- Cut the modified
07000000.pack.lfs files and paste them back into
- Repeat Steps 2-7 for the
07000000.pack.lfs files from the
<path-to-game>\BIO4\ImagePackHD (HD textures) files.
Mods may have a single
07000000.pack instead of a set of
- YZ2Tool may generate
0217.bin files from mods instead of
0217.dds, which will crash the game if the
*.bin files are repacked into
Alternate Controller Layout mods
- this forum post for more details of each alternative controller configuration.
These mods recreates the controller configuration of the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions or a custom PlayStation 3 layout when played with an XInput controller. See
- these instructions. Not compatible with the Shaders Fix and Film Grain Removal mod above, however, the film grain can removed manually with
How to install GameCube/PlayStation 2 Controller Layout Mod|
- Download your desired controller layout and prompts from the following links:
- Extra the contents of the rar file into
- Run the
Install Buttons.bat file and allow the mod to install the files. The original files are backed up in the respective
High Poly Weapons
This mod replaces the stock in-game weapon models with their higher poly equivalents seen in the Examine screen. Backing up the game's original This mod will crash the game when switching from the HD textures to the original textures after installation.
ImagePackHD folders found in
<path-to-game>\BIO4 is recommended before installing this mod.
How to install High Poly Weapons mod|
- Download the mod here.
- Extract the contents of the zip archive. Password:
- Move or delete the original
wep##.lfs files from
020000##.pack files from
<path-to-game>\BIO4\ImagePackHD that match with the ones from the
High Poly Weapons folder.
- Copy the
ImagePackHD folders from the
High Poly Weapons folder into
<path-to-game>\BIO4. You should be able to see the higher poly weapon models from the Examine screen during gameplay.
Customizing the laser sight color
- RGB values. v1.0.6 added the ability to customize the laser sight color by editing the
How to modify laser sight color|
- Go to
config.ini with a text editor (e.g. Notepad++).
laserB (blue), and
laserA (transparency level of the dot) to the desired values from
- For example, people with color blindness may wish to change the laser sight to blue, which makes it easier to see:
- To return to factory settings (red laser sight), simply set
laserA -1 and save.
|Operating system (OS)
||Vista, 7, 8
||Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHz
|Intel Core 2 Quad 2.7 GHz
AMD Phenom II X4 3.0 GHz
|System memory (RAM)
|Hard disk drive (HDD)
|Video card (GPU)
|| Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS |
ATI Radeon HD 4850
512 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
1 GB of VRAM
||Xbox 360 Controller||