- Mods. The game has multiple bugs (Bouncing NPCs, missing content...) that were never fixed. Many mods are available that fix most of these bugs, restore content and improve certain features. See
- Ubisoft Forums
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
The Fortune's Edition is a complete edition containing the base game and the Fortunes Pack DLC.
- FC2 MultiFixer. Pre-order versions contained "Predecessor Tapes", additional missions that can now be unlocked using
DLC and expansion packs
| Fortunes Pack
|| Included with the Fortune's Edition
| Intel Bonus Missions
|| Released as a free download.
The patch removes the activation requirement and allows the game to be played without the disc.
Only required for the Retail DVD version.
A small program made by FoxAhead that allows you to toggle on and off essential fixes and tweak various parameters like FOV, unlocking missing DLCs, fixing the missing Jackals Tapes, Cheats and more - all in a user-friendly user-interface. Its biggest advantage over manual tweaks is that it does not modify the game's file or .dlls. Instead, your changes will be stored in a configuration file. This allows you to revert to a full vanilla state if need be. It is compatible with most mods, and is even bundled with the most popular ones like Redux. The link provided above explains in detail how to set it up.
FC2 MultiFixer Options List
Enabling SSAO for Nvidia graphics cards
Change Ambient Occlusion flag in Nvidia Profile Inspector|
- Download and run Nvidia Profile Inspector.
Far Cry 2.
Ambient Occlusion compatibility insert the flag
0x0000002D (MechWarrior Online).
Ambient Occlusion usage select
Ambient Occlusion setting select your quality of preference.
In-game general settings.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
In-game key map settings.
Toggle aim down sights
Create AutoHotkey script
- Download AutoHotkey
- Copy the code to the clipboard (CTRL+C).
- Open AutoHotkey, go to File>Edit script, paste the code in Notepad.
- Change "Fallout4" to "Far Cry 2" in the Notepad, save.
- Reload Script in AutoHotkey
- occlusion effects, not reverb.EAX 3.0 only used for indoor
In-game network settings.
||Port(s) and/or port range(s)
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
Stuck/can't exit turret
- E). In order to exit the turret if key is rebound, E must be used. This happens if the "interact" key is rebound to anything other than the "default" (
"Silent phone call" bug
Sometimes when answering a call, the dialogue will be missing. You will still get the mission objectives you may get, but you miss out on the dialogue and potential tips. There is no known fix. Unlike many people claim, it happens with both DX9 and DX10 even if the framerate is capped at 30. However, it seems to happen more often when using the DX10 renderer and/or high framerate (60 and above).
"Black Square" bug
-  When using DX10, using Bloom in combination with HDR (enabled by default in DX10) will cause a black square to fill parts of the screen in many different scenarios, but mainly when looking down. Disabling bloom also disables brightness adaptation, making it hard to see properly in dark areas but the only known workaround is to disable it, or play in DX9 mode.
Bouncing NPC glitch
High FPS will cause errors in character animations. At very high FPS this can be a game-breaking bug as important NPCs can't complete their dialog to progress the story.
Cap your framerate. Some people report that up to 75Hz/FPS is fine, but 60 is recommended.
Game resolution changes to 1600x900 when Alt-Tabbing
-  Alt-tabbing out of the game may cause the resolution to reset to 1600x900.
Reset your resolution|
- Open the Options menu, then Display
- Change your Resolution to something besides your preferred choice.
- Hit Apply
- Now change the Resolution back to your preference.
- Hit Apply again
Certain audio devices (namely older Realtek integrated audio chips) aren't compatible with the audio in the game and will reverse all channels or make the back channel primary and the front channel near inaudible.
Modify .ini file|
- Go to
- Find the line
DISABLE_OPTIMISATION and set the value to
- Save your changes.
Vegetation looks blocky
Disable anti-aliasing (including that by external tools)|
Launch crash to desktop on newer systems
Use systemdetection.dll from Far Cry 3|
- Navigate to Far Cry 3's
<path-to-game>\bin\ and copy
- Paste this file in Far Cry 2's
<path-to-game>\bin\, making sure to overwrite the current DLL.
This will only work if you also have a legitimate copy of Far Cry 3 installed on your computer.
Game automatically minimizes after launch
Change resolution in GamerProfile.xml
- Go to the configuration file(s) location.
<CustomQuality> to your prefered resolution (eg.
The following tweaks require editing XML documents within the game's resource file|
- Download mod tools from moddb.
- From the archive, extract the contents of the
WobFC2DUNIAxxx folder into the
<path-to-game>\modding\ folder, creating this folder if it doesn't exist.
bootstrap.bat to unpack Far Cry 2's resource file into your
- After changes have been made to the unpacked resources, run
build_patch.bat to pack the modified resources back up into
<path-to-game>\Data_Win32\, backing up the existing resource files before overwriting them.
This process should work even with mods installed. Mods are typically distributed as
patch.dat resources. The mod tools will unpack these resources if installed, so when the resources are repackaged after making these improvements the mod should be preserved.
- these Steam patch data files which will mostly work with the retail or GOG copy (minor niggling issues) or you can modify patch files of the existing mods. This method won't work on vanilla game if it's not Steam version. You can use
Mouse sensitivity multiplier
Far Cry 2's resource file contains a set of mouse sensitivity multipliers which augment the sensitivity slider in the options menu.
- In the
original\patch\config\inputactionmapcommon.xml file, change the
sensitivity attributes within each
<MouseFilter> element to the desired scalar.
Remove mouse speed clamp
Far Cry 2 clamps mouse speed once it reaches a certain rate. This can be problematic for player who use high DPI mice or low sensitivities.
- In the
original\patch\config\inputactionmapcommon.xml file, remove all the
maxOutput=10 attributes from each
Eliminate one-frame latency
Far Cry 2 uses a multithreaded renderer, meaning the rendering happens in a thread separate from the main game loop. This pipelining, which is performed by default, increases framerate substantially but at the cost of one frame of latency. Since Far Cry 2 needs to be framerate limited to avoid certain bugs, this tradeoff can be beneficial in cases where framerate is capped well below the system's capabilities, or in cases where the player values low latency over outright framerate.
- In the
original\patch\engine\settings\defaultthreadingconfig.xml file, set
ThreadCnt="0" on the
<ThreadSetting id="RENDER_THREAD" ...> element.
Additional threads can be allocated to the The game will feel much, much smoother comparing the same framerates (especially when you can achieve constant 60 FPS using the solution).
JOB_THREADS to regain some lost framerate. 4 physics threads and 2 job threads appear to yield the greatest performance increase on quad core machines. Increasing job threads too far can have catastrophic effects on performance.
||9, 10, 10.1
|Shader Model support
| -GameProfile_GodMode 1
|| Enables god mode (only enable after tutorial)
| -GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1
|| Unlimited ammo (only enable after tutorial)
| -GameProfile_AllWeaponsUnlock 1
|| Unlocks all weapons
| -GameProfile_UnlimitedReliability 1
|| Weapons will never break
| -exec filename
|| Parses console commands from the file named filename in your Game data directory. Known to work for files with a
.CFG extension. Execution results can be viewed in-game by opening the console with ~.
- Far Cry 2: New Dunia (A.K.A. Remastered) - Massive overhaul mod for Far Cry 2, that updates graphics, improves audio and gameplay, fix bugs and many more, while staying as faithful to the original as possible.
- Far Cry 2 Redux - Immersion focused massive overhaul of Far Cry 2. This includes bug fixes, more dynamic AI, and a complete re-balance of multiple aspects of the game. Stays true to the vanilla emergent gameplay loop. It is currently the most popular and up-to-date Far Cry 2 mod, and comes bundled with FC2 Multi Fixer. Has GOG Support.
- Infamous Fusion - Major mod with countless improvements on realism, graphics, weapons, animations and gameplay.
- Dylan's Realism Mod - Revisions to enemy health, diamond prices, enemy AI, and other balance changes.
- No Malaria and Infinite Sprint - A simple mod that only disables malaria attacks and removes the cooldown on sprinting.
- Far Cry 2: Vanilla+ (Tom's Mod) - A vanilla focussed mod that maintains the feel of the original game while adding improved graphics, rebalanced weapons, quality of life features, massively increased gameplay variety and plenty of bug fixes.
- Real Africa - This mod aims to improve the color of the game, being as faithful to the vanilla as possible.
|Operating system (OS)
||Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHz
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
|Intel Core 2 Duo
AMD 64 X2 5200+
|System memory (RAM)
|Hard disk drive (HDD)
|Video card (GPU)
|| Nvidia GeForce 6800
ATI Radeon X1650
256 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9 compatible
Shader model 3 support
|Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
ATI Radeon X1900
512 MB of VRAM
DirectX 10 compatible
Multiple saves and user created maps will increase the amount of needed hard disk space.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/19900/ in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (19900) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.