|Ripple Effect Studios|
|Frostbite 3[Note 1]|
|Windows||November 19, 2021|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase, Subscription gaming service|
|Vehicles||Automobile, Flight, Tank|
|⤏ Go to series page|
|Battlefield: Bad Company 2||2010|
- This game requires a constant internet connection for all game modes.
The game's Gold and Ultimate Editions were released on November 12, 2021, with a global release taking place a week after.
At launch, the game was criticized by players due to the many bugs, lack of features present in older titles, and gameplay changes. Despite some of these changes being addressed by DICE, the game failed to meet the sales expectations of Electronic Arts. However, the game continues to receive updates and follows a battle pass model since June 2022 with the launch of Season 1, titled "Zero Hour".
|Retail||Standard Edition only. European copies have 7 DVDs while other regions only get a download code.|
|Epic Games Store||Elite Edition also available.|
|Microsoft Store||Included exclusively with Xbox Game Pass for PC as part of its version of EA Play.|
|Origin|| Elite Edition also available.
Included with EA Play.
Manual link for EA App purchase.
|Steam|| Elite Edition also available.
Included with EA Play (Steam)
|(unavailable)||Gold and Ultimate Edition also available.|
|Green Man Gaming (unavailable)||Gold and Ultimate Edition also available.|
|Humble Store (unavailable)||Gold and Ultimate Edition also available.|
- All versions require Origin DRM, Denuvo Anti-Tamper DRM and a constant internet connection for all game modes.
- All pre-orders included the base game, early access to open beta and three different cosmetics.
- Gold Edition included earlier access to game launch, three cosmetic bundles, and the Year One Pass. Players on console versions also get the Cross-Gen bundle. No longer available.
- Ultimate Edition included all Gold Edition bonuses, but includes a new cosmetic bundle, digital artbook and soundtrack. Players on the base game could upgrade to this version. No longer available.
- Elite Edition supplants both the Gold and Ultimate Edition and features all content as of May 2023, including an exclusive cosmetic bundle. Players on the base game could upgrade to this version.
|One-time game purchase||The game requires an upfront purchase to access.|
|Subscription gaming service||Available via EA Play|
|Boost||EA Play members receive a melee takedown animation, and recurring in-game member-only awards.|
|Cosmetic||Cosmetics for soldiers, weapons and vehicles.|
|Currency||Battlefield Currency is used to unlock cosmetics in the in-game store. Premium Pass is also available for purchase.|
|Free-to-grind||A limited version of the Premium Pass is available and the rewards can be earned for free.|
DLC and expansion packs
|Elite Upgrade||Upgrades the base game to the Elite Edition.|
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/1517290/pfx/[Note 2]|
Save game data location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/1517290/pfx/[Note 2]|
|Epic Games Launcher||Handled through the cloud sync of Origin.|
|Steam Cloud||Handled through the cloud sync of Origin.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Hor+ gameplay and menus.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||Vertical field of view from 50 - 105° (and 44 - 88° for vehicles).
Toggle available to allow FOV to affect aiming down sights.
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||TAA Low or TAA High.|
|High-fidelity upscaling||DLSS 2.0
The option appears on supported hardware, also there is a Dynamic Resolution Scaling option which replaces the static res scale option. See #Forcing resolution scale to set a static resolution scale, as this exists in 2042's commands.
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)|
|Ray tracing (RT)||Ray traced ambient occlusion|
|Color blind mode||As of the Season 3 update, users can now change the UI colors to their liking.|
Forcing resolution scale
- Since 2042 doesn't have a static Resolution Scale slider in the video settings, one can instead force the static resolution through commands or through a
- Both methods utilize the Frostbite console with the command
- Eliminates edge-case scenarios where enabling dynamic resolution causes stutters.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse sensitivity||Different sensitivity options for soldier, vehicle and each level of zoom available.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion||Separate options to invert for soldiers and vehicles.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller sensitivity||Different sensitivity options for soldier, vehicle and each level of zoom available.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion||Separate options to invert for soldiers and vehicles.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|||
|DualShock button prompts|
|Light bar support|
|Connection modes||Bluetooth, USB|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Also has a 3D audio sound profile for headphones|
|Subtitles||Subtitles show during the pre-round map overview.|
|Mute on focus lost||Can be toggled on or off in the audio settings.|
|Royalty free audio|
|Latin American Spanish|
In addition to 128 players, some modes are 64, 32 or 16 players. Cross-platform play and progression is enabled with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S versions of the game.
|Matchmaking||Selecting any mode from the main menu will matchmake you directly into a match. Battlefield Portal also has a server browser.|
|Dedicated||Hosted by developers|
|Self-hosting||One can self-host a server on Battlefield Portal, but the server will not be persistent unless one player is connected to it.|
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|TCP||5222, 9988, 17502, 20000-20100, 22990, 42127|
|UDP||3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
Game does not launch on Kepler/TeraScale/early GCN cards
- The game crashes with a
DirectX Errorwith the error
An invalid parameter was passed to the returning function.
- This is due to the game requiring DX12 feature level
12.0, which these cards don't support. This affects all Kepler/TeraScale/early GCN cards, even high-end cards like the 780 Ti and HD 7700. There is no fix.
"Unable to load persistence data" error
Origin overlay is permanently enabled for games you bought on Steam and disabling it in the Origin client doesn't help.
Delete or Rename:
Input lag on mouse and keyboard
|Disable the Origin overlay from the Origin client. On Steam, see the steps above.|
ERROR: DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung
- Download and run .NET Framework Repair Tool:
|Direct3D||12||Feature level minimum is 12.0, which restricts compatibility with certain cards (see #Issues unresolved above)|
|Anti-cheat||Easy Anti-Cheat||Easy Anti-Cheat will replace with EA anticheat in Season 6 on October |
|Operating system (OS)||10|
|Processor (CPU)||AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Intel Core i5-6600K
|AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Intel Core i7-4790
|System memory (RAM)||8 GB||16 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||100 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti |
AMD Radeon RX 560
DirectX 12 compatible
|Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060
AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
- A 64-bit operating system is required.
- No materials from EA or DICE make mention of the game running on any specific numbered version of Frostbite (like how previous games were specifically marketed to be using Frostbite 3)
Frostbite Version Number:
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/1517290/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (1517290) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Electronic Arts - Battlefield 2042 Marks the Return of All-Out Warfare in New, Unmatched, Epic-Scale Experience - last accessed on 2021-07-08
- Verified by User:Shadowstealer7 on 2021-11-12
- Verified by User:Fearfulwarpii on 2022-12-20
- European copy unboxing - last accessed on 2023-08-22
- m.imgur.com - last accessed on May 2023
- EA Play Member Benefits- Official Electronic Arts Website - last accessed on 2022-12-20
- Verified by User:Shadowstealer7 on 2021-11-13
- Tested at 21:9 (2560x1080)
- Nvidia - Battlefield 2042 Out Tomorrow With NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA Reflex, and Ray Tracing - last accessed on 2021-11-12
- Gamespot - Does Battlefield 2042 Have Cross-Play And Cross-Progression? - last accessed on 2021-11-12
- Portforward - Port Forwarding for Battlefield 2042 - last accessed on 2021-11-13
- Reddit - last accessed on May 2023
- Verified by User:Fearfulwarpii on 2021-10-08
- Trying to launch the Open Beta on an Nvidia Kepler GPU results in an error and the game crashing.
- Unable to load persistence data error : Battlefield - Reddit - last accessed on May 2023
- [PC] FYI If you're getting "Unable to load persistence data" after trying everything on your end, check to see if you have "Windows Update Delivery Optimization" turned On. Try turning it Off. You will need to restart your PC afterwards. : battlefield2042 - Reddit
- docs.microsoft.com - last accessed on May 2023
- EA ANTICHEAT AND BATTLEFIELD 2042 - last accessed on 28 September 2023