Rayman 2: The Great Escape
|Poland||Licomp Empik Multimedia|
|Windows||October 29, 1999|
|⤏ Go to series page|
|Rayman By His Fans||1998|
|Rayman 60 Levels||1999|
|Rayman 2: The Great Escape||1999|
|Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc||2003|
|Rayman Jungle Run||2013|
|Rayman Fiesta Run||2014|
|Rayman Redemption (Unofficial)||2020|
- Based on the Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast versions, rather than the PlayStation 2 remake.
- The retail game cannot be installed on 64-bit computers; see Issues fixed.
- Character animations are capped at 30 FPS.
- Does not support Alt+Tab ↹ while in-game; see Windowed or Game breaks after task switching.
- RayWiki - An active wiki dedicated to the Rayman Franchise
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
|Retail||Uses SafeDisc DRM[Note 1] Also released with Rayman 3-Pack and Rayman 10th Anniversary Collection.|
|GOG.com||Comes pre-configured with nGlide, but it may be outdated.|
|Uplay||Included with Uplay+. Comes pre-configured with WineD3D library (DX6).|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
- Patches are available here. Digital versions are already patched.
Play the game on modern systems
|Use nGlide|
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/15060/pfx/[Note 3]|
Save game data location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/15060/pfx/[Note 3]|
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Multi-monitor||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Ultra-widescreen||See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Use nGlide and force MSAA or SGSSAA in Nvidia Profile Inspector.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Use nGlide and set in
|60 FPS||Character animations are capped at 30 FPS.|
|120+ FPS||Frame rate is capped at 63 FPS.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Use DInput Key Switcher.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Use Rayman 2 Input Fix on modern systems.|
|Full controller support||Some commands are not bound to the gamepad.|
|Controller remapping||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|DualShock button prompts|
|Light bar support|
|Separate volume controls||Music and Sound Effects.|
|Surround sound||Using A3D. See Restore 3D sound.|
|Subtitles||Most speech is text-based.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||The game uses Aureal A3D (not EAX). See Restore 3D sound.|
Restore 3D sound
|Restore A3D effects|
|Polish||Local retail release only - MULTI2 version with French or MULTI5 with additionally Italian, German, Spanish.|
Game repeatedly changes resolution before launch
- This is a side effect of the way Rayman 2 checks for the available resolutions when using the Glide renderer. Setting a forced resolution in the nGlide settings minimizes the effect.
Blurry and distorted graphics
|See Play the game on modern systems|
32-bit depth not available (only for Glide)
|Use nGlide and copy the files|
Or instead of points 3-4, copy and overwrite following content of ubi.ini:
|Use dgVoodoo and copy the files|
Game breaks after task switching
|(for nGlide) Use combination of ⊞ Win+Tab ↹ and Alt+Tab ↹ alternately|
During the first minimization, use ⊞ Win+Tab ↹, during the second minimization, use Alt+Tab ↹ and so on. In the main menu, (before loading a save) use only Alt+Tab ↹. In the case of using Aureal 3D, and closing version notification on startup, don't use Alt+Tab ↹ twice in a row (to come back to the game after closing notification, and later to minimize in the main menu). Don't press on the game icon in taskbar more than once at a row, use Alt+Tab ↹ instead. Game breaks can still occur though, but less often.
|Or see Windowed|
Game runs twice as fast (GOG/Uplay versions)
|Change the refresh rate in nGlide|
When playing Rayman 2 with the default nGlide settings, it's possible that the game's speed may be running twice as fast than normally intended. To fix this, open the nGlide Configurator and set the refresh rate to 120 Hz or lower, depending on your monitor's refresh rate, instead of the default value. Alternatively lower your refresh rate to 60Hz, or for the same problem on 60Hz monitors, turn off vertical synchronization.
Game runs in windowed mode (fullscreen fix)
|Use nGlide (see above)|
|Use DxWrapper (for use with DirectX 6 renderer instead of Glide)|
|Use dgVoodoo (instruction for DirectX 6 renderer set)|
No options to choose in GXSetup (GOG/Uplay versions)
|Copy lacking files from retail version|
Game refuses to close after an unsuccessful ALT+TAB / no CTRL+ESC reaction
|In Windows 10, press Win+Tab, then drag & drop Rayman 2.exe to "Desktop 2" (create if doesn't exist), then close application in Task Manager|
Install the game on modern systems (Retail)
- The retail game cannot be installed on 64-bit computers because the DRM in the installation disc is 16-bit.
|Use Rayman 2 x64 Patcher|
|Use Rayman Control Panel|
"Please insert CD" message with pirate head image (Retail)
- At the end of The Echoing Caves an anti-piracy message will appear and stop progress, even when using a legitimate copy of the game.
- This has been fixed in the GOG release. You can copy your save file to that version and continue playing.
|Add missing files not copied from retail installer|
Crash to desktop on Windows 8.1 (GOG.com)
|Install the game outside of the default folder|
|Close MSI Afterburner (fixed in new versions of AB/RivaTuner/AMD drivers)|
|Set 1024 x 768 in ubi.ini|
|Change Data Execution Prevention setting|
Add a DEP Exception for Rayman2.exe. Sometimes reboot needed afterwards.
|For newer GOG releases and W10 builds|
Low frame rate on Windows 8/10
|Use nGlide|
|Use DDRAW FPS Fix|
|Use DxWrapper (see Game runs in windowed mode (fullscreen fix)|
|See Windowed|
Uplay version or Vulkan in nGlide setting cause stuck at startup white window
|Wait ~1 minute until the game shows up.|
|See Use nGlide or DXwrapper or DDRAW FPS fix or latest WineD3D|
"Graphics Dll not found, run install" [sic]
|See Use nGlide|
|Copy files into Rayman 2 folder|
|Open GXSetup and choose renderer and resolution|
|Make sure you didn't set "x 32" instead of "x 16" in ubi.ini while using DirectX 6 renderer, or for Glide without the present GliVd1vf.dll file in \DLL folder (you may copy it from DLL\Glide).|
Check whether your ubi.ini contains line
"Display initialisation error : could not find any resolution"
|Run the game with Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode|
Cannot load saved game
|Run the game as admin|
|Direct3D||6||Retail default renderer (Uplay version is already pre-configured with WineD3D wrapper).|
|Glide||2||Needs to be set in
- Rayman 2 Fun Box - Adds first-person camera mode and other misc. mods.
- OpenSpace Toolbox - Adds level switching, bookmarking your position, and hotkeys to reload levels and save/load positions.
- Rayman 2 Reshade with SweetFX mod - Complete "revamp" of lighting and graphics.
- RayTwol - Level editor with the ability to modify the position of most of the objects in any given level. Modifications can saved and experienced in-game, simply through exiting and re-entering the level. Online map viewer can be found here.
- Rayman 2 PC AI Upscaled Texture Pack - Replaces all textures for those of better quality. Created using ESRGAN with the Fatality MKII algorithm, which was pretrained for use with pixel art.
|Operating system (OS)||95||98, ME, 2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 133 MHz||Intel Pentium with MMX 200 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||32 MB||64 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||500 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 3Dfx Voodoo |
DirectX 6.1 compatible
16 MB of VRAM
|Sound (audio device)||DirectX 6.1 compatible||Aureal Vortex (2), Soundblaster Live!, Sound Blaster Audigy series, Sound Blaster X-Fi series|
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/15060/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (15060) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Verified by User:Keith on December 5, 2016
- When making a comparison between 30 and 60 FPS video captures, 60 FPS version has duplicate frames in the animation when frame stepping through it, and not in the 30 FPS version
- Verified by User:Keith on 2019-09-18
- rayman_2_gog-1_(17797), nGlide210
- Rayman Pirate-Community - Rayman 2 Widescreen Patch
- DxWnd / Discussion / General Discussion: Rayman 2 inputs still being received
- Aureal A3D Central - 3D Sound Software list
- Verified by User:Deton24 on 2019-09-18
- Tested on GOG.com version, nGlide, W10.
- Rayman 2 repeatedly changes resolution before launch, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com
- Windowed mode and Edge AA added to nGlide 1.05 - last accessed on 2016-01-30
- Rayman 2 fullscreen bug, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com
- Rayman 2 pc bug. help needed - Forum - ubi.com
- New Rayman 2 PC Widescreen Patch (16:9, 16:10, 21:9, ...) | PC 32 bit depth fix - Page 3 - Rayman Pirate-Community
- Rayman Series GOG Forum - Crash to Desktop on Win 8.1 64x