Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
|EA Los Angeles|
|macOS (OS X)||TransGaming Inc.|
|Windows||October 28, 2008|
|macOS (OS X) (Cider)||March 24, 2009|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase, Subscription gaming service|
|Controls||Multiple select, Point and select|
|Themes||Asia, Europe, North America, Sci-fi|
|Series||Command & Conquer|
|⤏ Go to series page|
|Command & Conquer||1995|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert||1996|
|Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor||1997|
|Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun||1999|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2||2000|
|Command & Conquer: Renegade||2002|
|Command & Conquer: Generals||2003|
|Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars||2007|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3||2008|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising||2009|
|Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight||2010|
|Command & Conquer (2013)||Cancelled|
|Command & Conquer Remastered Collection||2020|
|Renegade X (unofficial)||EA|
- The macOS (OS X) version of this game does not work on macOS Catalina (version 10.15) or later due to the removal of support for 32-bit-only apps.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 is the third mainline Red Alert game in the Command & Conquer franchise. It is a RTS with both singleplayer and multiplayer being prominently featured. The campaign mode can be played solely in co-op mode, either with a pre-determined AI commander for that mission when offline, or with a second player when playing online (but not in LAN).
Attempts to make a third Red Alert game go as far back as December 2004, but the iteration that eventually got released started pre-production in 2007, during or after the completion stages of Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, with which it shares the engine core. The Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath expansion and initial copies of Command & Conquer 3: Deluxe Edition included beta keys for Red Alert 3, with the beta stages taking place in late summer of 2008. Two beta builds are known and were distributed through FilePlanet, but the first one was short-lived and quickly replaced by beta 2 for yet unknown reasons. The game was completed in approximately 18 months, but with a reduced team size compared to Tiberium Wars.
Post-release support included 12 patches in total, as well as a map editor (Worldbuilder) and mod SDK. Despite the efforts to improve and expand multiplayer features compared to prior games in the series, the maximum number of players has been reduced from 8 to 6; modified maps can include more, but only AI-controlled with predefined factions, as there is no UI support for player/faction selection beyond player 6.
Despite not requiring the disc to run and merely using it to install the game, Red Alert 3 made use of SecuROM 7 DRM with an activation limit of 5 installations per serial key, using up an activation even if the same system had major hardware changes. Patch 1.05 modified the auto-run/control panel menu to include the "Deauthorize" button to free up the current machine's activation slot, disabling the game on said machine until reinstalled.
The game was the first in the franchise to be released on Steam, debuting on the platform on January 8, 2009. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions exist, but offer no content unavailable on PC.
After the last patch (1.12) from July 2009, several game-breaking issues persist, some of them even able to crash the player's computer. They can be fixed with a custom injector (see Essential improvements section in this article). With the GameSpy servers being shut down in 2014, players can use C&C:Online or RA3Battle to play in multiplayer, with this now being the only methods to play the co-op campaign with live players. A small multiplayer scene is active on GameReplays.org, playing on a set of maps modified to include bug and crash fixes (dubbed the unofficial 1.12.x patch).
The retail and Steam versions still use serial keys for activation, but the Origin/EA App version does not. The Steam version can at times run out of keys for new customers during longer sales.
- Command & Conquer Wiki - A wiki for everything Command & Conquer-related
- C&C:Online - fan-hosted multiplayer server replacement (Windows version only)
- RA3Battle - fan-hosted alternative multiplayer server replacement (Windows version only, predominantly Chinese-speaking)
- Red Alert 3 on CNC.community
- Red Alert 3 section on CNCNZ.com
- Red Alert 3 section on GameReplays.org
- Steam Community Discussions
|Retail|| SecuROM 7, SecuROM PA, and SecuROM DFA DRM.
Five machine activation limit.
A De-Authorization Tool is available, and an in-built option is available as of patch 1.05.
Can be redeemed on Origin through the client.
Disc not needed to run the game.
|Origin|| Bundled as part of Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection. Currently only visible in the EA App's Browse menu.
Included with EA Play.
|Steam||Included with EA Play (Steam).|
|Humble Store (unavailable)|
- A free demo version is available from Steam, GameFront, and CNCNZ.com.
- Steam key can be used to activate The Ultimate Collection version of the game on Origin/EA App.
|One-time game purchase||The game requires an upfront purchase to access.|
|Subscription gaming service||Available via EA Play.|
- Retail Windows Red Alert 3 patch v1.12 can be downloaded in many languages from CNCNZ, GameFront or Patches-Scrolls.
- The Steam and Origin versions are already patched to the latest version.
Prevent online crash-inducing bugs
- The game suffers from multiple bugs which crash the game, some even rendering the system unusable until rebooted.
- An open-source tool was made to remedy this. It is a DLL injector which needs to be running while the game's process is active.
- Tested with Steam and Origin versions, but may also work with the retail release.
Skip intro videos
|Delete or rename movie files|
Speed up loading
|Use the RA3 Quickloader|
Upon launch, the game attempts to look up an EA server which used to distribute relevant news for the game. Since it has been offline since the late 2010s and the timeout is relatively long, loading the game may take a while.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%APPDATA%\Red Alert 3\Profiles\<user-id>\|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/17480/pfx/[Note 1]|
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Red Alert 3\|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/17480/pfx/[Note 1]|
Save game cloud syncing
|Origin||Only available through The Ultimate Collection version|
|Widescreen resolution||For unlisted resolutions see Widescreen resolution.|
|Multi-monitor||Position affects gameplay. Disable non-primary displays to fix black screen on startup.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||Use Flawless Widescreen.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||Frame rate is capped at 30 FPS, with game speed tied to frame rate.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||See the glossary page for potential alternatives.|
|Set custom resolution|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse sensitivity||For scroll speed.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Only supports Stereo audio.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Royalty free audio|
|Traditional Chinese||Retail only.|
|Korean||Retail only. A low quality translation. Subtitles are completely out of sync. Somewhat fixed in 1.07 patch, but issues still remain. A fan made patch is available to improve the translation.|
Regular PvP/PvE only; campaign co-op requires online.
|Online play||6||Versus, Co-op
Official GameSpy servers have been shut down. Replaced with C&C:Online and RA3Battle.
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|TCP||80, 3783, 4321, 6660-6669, 28900, 29900, 29901|
|UDP||6515, 6500, 13139, 27900|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
Game crashes on startup with an "application error" when launched from executable (Steam)
|Create missing file|
Restore command-line parameter and mod support (The Ultimate Collection)
- The Ultimate Collection on Origin was released with no support for mods or command line arguments.
|Use Medstar's fixed launchers (The Ultimate Collection)|
Missing skirmish options
- Under certain circumstances (possibly related to switching to and from mods and/or map pack removal), the skirmish menu appears "empty", i.e. without selectable maps or players.
|Delete and force auto-generation of configuration file|
|OpenGL||OS X only.|
|Shader Model support||3|
|macOS (OS X)||This 32-bit-only macOS game does not work on macOS Catalina (10.15) or later.|
|Multiplayer||GameSpy||Shut down in 2014.|
Command line arguments
|-win||Runs the game in windowed mode|
|-fullscreen||Runs the game in fullscreen mode. Combine with |
|-xres [number]||Sets resolution width|
|-yres [number]||Sets resolution height|
|-xpos [number]||Sets horizontal offset of the window|
|-ypos [number]||Sets vertical offset of the window|
|-ui||Opens the autorun feature otherwise called by inserting the game disc|
|-replayGame [filename]||Plays replay file|
|-modConfig [filename]||Runs the game with selected mod (has to point to its |
|-noaudio||Disables game audio|
|-noAudioMusic||Disables game music|
|-silentLogin||Forces the game to immediately log in to a multiplayer account|
|-getPatch||Forces check for official updates; currently useless as EA's FTP servers which hosted patches have been shut down|
|-runver [number]||Forces running a specified game version (1.0, 1.1, ..., 1.12); appropriate |
Worldbuilder (map editor)
- There is a "standard version" (2.0) for most users, available from CNCNZ, ModDB and CnCLabs.
- A separate, significantly larger version, is meant for use with the official mod SDK, available from CNCNZ, ModDB and CnCLabs.
- Maps created with either Worldbuilder are not meant for the Uprising standalone expansion pack and may result in broken terrain.
- The Origin release has a missing registry key by default, preventing custom maps from displaying.
|Edit registry key for Origin release|
- Official map packs for various special editions, pre-order bonuses and store-specific purchases can be found on Digiex and CNCNZ.com.
- The community map pack 1.12.x series includes standard and custom maps with multiple important bugfixes. The latest stable version is 1.12.6, while the latest testing version is 1.12.8 beta 8.
|Operating system (OS)||XP||Vista|
|Processor (CPU)||AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz
|AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||10 GB|
|Video card (GPU)||ATI Radeon X1800 |
Nvidia GeForce 6800
DirectX 9.0c compatible
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/17480/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (17480) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- ↑ TransGaming to Bring EA’s Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 to Mac – The Mac Observer - last accessed on 2017-12-31
- ↑ Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Ships for Mac - PCWorld - last accessed on 2017-12-31
- ↑ What is Red Alert 3? - CNCNZ.com | The C&C Community Veteran - last accessed on 2023-05-30 (archived)
- ↑ Candid interview with former C&C Developer Greg Black - GameReplays.org - last accessed on 2023-05-30
- ↑ Red Alert 3 patch 1.05 - Command & Conquer Wiki - covering Tiberium, Red Alert and Generals universes - last accessed on 2023-05-30
- ↑ Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 Price History - SteamDB - last accessed on 2023-05-30
- ↑ Red Alert 3 patch 1.12 - Command & Conquer Wiki - covering Tiberium, Red Alert and Generals universes - last accessed on 2023-05-30
- ↑ Verified by User:Mrtnptrs on 2022-11-23
- When redeeming the Steam key of the game on the EA App, it will activate there and then will add the digital The Ultimate Collection edition of the game to your EA account for installation.
- ↑ Verified by User:Baronsmoki on 2019-04-12
- ↑ Verified by User:Plok on 2021-09-14
- ↑ Verified by User:Plok on 2021-10-14
- ↑ Verified by User:Plok on 2022-11-29
- ↑ Command line options - GameReplays.org - last accessed on May 2023
- ↑ Red Alert 3 Non-Gameplay Tips & Tricks - Red Alert 3 - GameReplays.org - last accessed on May 2023
- ↑ Maps installation (not found my answers yet) - last accessed on 2022-01-31