Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Unreal Engine 2.5|
|Windows||November 7, 2006|
|Themes||Contemporary, Africa, Asia, North America|
|Subseries of Tom Clancy|
|Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow||2004|
|Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory||2005|
|Splinter Cell: Double Agent||2006|
|Splinter Cell: Conviction||2010|
|Splinter Cell: Blacklist||2013|
- There are two different versions of Double Agent. Current Gen was made by Ubisoft Montreal for Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube and Wii. Next Gen was made by Ubisoft Milan and Ubisoft Shanghai for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Games share the same general plot, but feature different storylines, plot twists and levels. Games also run on different engines; Current Gen engine is closer to the first two games in the series, while Next Gen has a more modern engine.
- Online services were shut down on November 19, 2018.
- Game is filled with many game breaking bugs that were never patched; crashes when loading or saving game, broken light rendering, broken input during mini-games, player getting stuck on terrain, etc.
- The soundtrack is available for free at composer's website.
|Retail||SecuROM 7 DRM. Removed in Patch v1.02a.|
|Green Man Gaming|
|Steam||Steam version is not patched.|
|Ubisoft Store||Included with Ubisoft+.|
- GamersGate, Humble Store and Steam store pages show screenshots of the console Current Gen version instead of the Next Gen PC version.
Skip intro videos
|Adjust videos folder|
- The patch required for multiplayer is not included in the Steam version.
- Only patch 1.02a is required. Patches can be found here.
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/13580/pfx/[Note 2]|
- Single player settings are in
- Multiplayer settings are in
Save game data location
|Windows||%PROGRAMDATA%\Application Data\Ubisoft\SplinterCell4\<user-id>\[Note 1]
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/13580/pfx/[Note 2]|
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Multi-monitor||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Ultra-widescreen||See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Borderless Gaming.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16x, but not applied to all surfaces, force in the GPU control panel instead.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Up to 4x FSAA. Not available in the Steam version. Install patch 1.02a to fix.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|120+ FPS||Frame rate is capped at 100 FPS on single player mode. See High frame rate. Multiplayer mode is uncapped although it is recommended to activate vsync and set the monitor to 60hz because at high fps the sensitivity of the mouse decreases drastically|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||Rendered image uses SDR color space. In-game HDR option refers only to HDR Rendering.|
|Use Splinter Cell Double Agent Widescreen Fix|
|Override frame rate cap|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Half of the command buttons aren't bindable.
|Mouse acceleration||Enabled by default; see Mouse acceleration.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller sensitivity||Shares the same slider with mouse.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion||Shares the same option with mouse.|
|XInput-compatible controllers||Only official wired Xbox 360 controllers.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Generic/other controllers||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Button prompts||Prompts are text based (e.g. "Press Action key").|
|Disable mouse acceleration|
|Separate volume controls||Effects, Ambient.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX 3|
|Polish||Local retail version only.|
|Russian||Official localization by «Руссобит-М\GFI». Retail only. Patch for digital release here.|
|Russian||Fan translation by «SyS-team/ENPY Studio/Spirit Team»|
|Local play||PS2/Xbox version only.|
|LAN play||6||Tunngle is recommended for LAN matches|
|Online play||6||Online services are online but only accessible after manually installing Patch 1.02a. It is recommended to use existing Steam Groups to find other players (does not require game purchase through Steam).|
Game crashes with a runtime error
- Game may often crash on saving and loading screens, as well as upon being maximized from the taskbar. Usually, it is followed by a C++ runtime error. A save file may be unusable and game will crash everytime when trying to load it. Similarly, a game may always crash when trying to save after a particular point, forcing the player to replay the level.
Light rendering bug
- Lights start to render only when player is very close and also turn on/off when rotating the camera.
Broken input when typing profile name
- If the player changes controls and tries to make a new profile, the letters will not match key input.
Blurry screen during first person view
- When player controls the character in first person view during two short interactive cutscenes, the screen turns very blurry.
- During gameplay sometimes some letters or other element from the pause menu shortly appear on screen.
Enemies releasing steam
- Sometimes when an enemy is shot, kicked or put on floor after being carried they start releasing steam that can hurt the player.
Enemies respawn after being killed
- In Kinshasa (Part 2) some enemies in the streets near the buses keep respawning after being killed.
Emile Dufraisne's bedroom bug
- A door in Emile's office leading to his bedroom cannot be opened, as the "open door" action prompt disappears too quickly.
|Enter the room in later JBA HQ missions where the bug does not appear|
|Make a noise near the door, prompting Emile to open it|
|Use ghost cheat|
Game hangs after defusing the bomb in JBA headquarters
- After defusing the bomb an in-game cutscene starts, but does not continue to play.
|Before defusing the bomb switch to 4:3 or 16:10 resolution in the display options menu.|
|Noclip onto bomb position|
Game crashes when using a weapon's scope
- The game crashes for some people when it's in 16:9 when using the scope on SC-20K and using the sniper rifle in the Kinshasa mission, making the player unable to complete the mission.
|Switch to a 4:3 resolution.|
Game crashes on startup
|Use ThirteenAG's fix|
Unable to load a savegame through the "continue" option and the game crashes when loading a savefile
|Load the mission first, then load the progress once the mission is running.|
Broken controls during safe cracking and mine assembly
- During safe cracking or mine assembly minigames the game does not react to player input, because it is tied to player speed.
Coast guard gets stuck in the door on Cozumel
- This bug occurs while the game is set not to remove certain environment objects when Environment Detail option is set to "High". Mistakenly, the door appears to be one of those objects.
|Set Environment Detail to Low in display options|
Kinshasa (Part 2) map is too bright
- Kinshasa (Part 2) map becomes excessively bright when user sets
SimpleShaderoption to False in game's configuration file to improve visual quality.
|Set HDR Rendering to Off in display options|
The intro segment to mission in Shanghai doesn't play sounds and eventually softlocks
Set the core affinity for
Enhanced night vision goggles show black screen with gray stripes
|Edit the map files to disable enhanced night vision and revert back to standard night vision|
Character moves by himself
|Disable controller input|
Run the game at screen refresh rate
- Game may default monitor refresh rate to 60 Hz, resulting in reduced smoothness and possible screen-tearing even if internal GPU render is at >60FPS.
|Override refresh rate with hex editor|
|Override refresh rate with Special K|
|Force highest quality|
[GENERAL] DisableHDRTonemapping=True LowResTex=False ; => Only if you've chosen to install the optional high-res textures SimpleShader=False SimpleEffect=False HidePieces=True ; => Setting it to "False" will add a few objects to the environment, but it will cause the coast guard to get stuck in the door on Cozumel and introduce a couple of graphical artifacts throughout the game. While "True" is recommended for the sake of compatibility, you might consider setting it to "False" to have more Environment Details in game. [Graphics] bEnableHDR=False ; => Disables HDR rendering. Bloom effect is still active, while HDR tone mapping will be disabled. bTrilinearFiltering=False bSpecularLighting=True bVerticalSync=True bHighQualityVisualFX=True [WinDrv.WindowsClient] TextureDetail=High SkinDetail=High Decals=True NoDynamicLights=False SkinDetail=High ; => Yes, Skin and Texture details appear twice in the .ini TextureDetail=High NoFractalAnim=False Decals=False [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] UseVSync=False ; => Does not touch Vsync. It's actually dis/enabled elsewhere. Translucency=True ; => For semi-transparent ice, which is broken in the game. Setting this to false does nothing wrong. The transparency in the game still works. UsePrecaching=True UseMipmapping=True UseTrilinear=True UseMultitexture=True UsePageFlipping=True UseFullscreen=False UseGammaCorrection=True UseTripleBuffering=False ; => Using Triple Buffering may cause save/load screen (the one with the progress bar) to flash UsePrecache=True Use32BitTextures=True AdapterNumber=-1 ReduceMouseLag=True UseTripleBuffering=False UseHWShadowMapping=False ; => Designed for older GPUs. Not needed now. ShadowResolutionDegree=0 ; => 0 is actually the High resolution shadows option in-game. ShadowTurnOffDegree=100 ; => A higher number is better. It tells the game at which distance to render lights with shadows. 200 is maximum, which renders all lights at any distance. bUseSmoothShadow=False ; => True does NOT work properly. It will actually mess up your shadows. FSAADegree=0 ; => Setting Anti-Aliasing to 2 or 4 will disable HDR rendering and very likely cause a "Frozen Frame" issue during cutscenes. Not recommended. AnisotropyDegree=1 ; => AF does not work. If you want AF in the game, force it through the video driver.
|Operating system (OS)||XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz
AMD Athlon 3000
|Intel Pentium 4 3.5 GHz
AMD Athlon 3500
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB||1.5 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||8 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon X1300 (Single-player) / X1300 (Multi-player)
Nvidia Geforce 6200 (Single-player) / 6600 (Multi-player)
128 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
Shader model 3.0 support
|ATI Radeon X1900
Nvidia Geforce 7900
256 MB of VRAM
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/13580/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (13580) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Wikipedia - last accessed on 2020-01-26
- MobyGames - Promo Art - last accessed on 2020-07-14
- Ubisoft Forums - Online Services Update Masterlist - last accessed on 2019-12-03
- "PC, Splinter Cell Double Agent, November 19th 2018"
- Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Patch v1.02a released -> SecuROM removed. - Rage3D Discussion Area
- Verified by User:Antrad on January 26, 2020
- Topic on Talk:Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Widescreen Fix compatibility - last accessed on 2019-12-03
- Resolutin Settings in Double Agent | Ubisoft Forums
- SC Double Agent Tweaks - Neowin Forums
- SCCT Shadows become more broken the wider the screen resolution
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Wikipedia
- Splinter Cell Double Agent - Lighting Fix
- Splinter Cell double agent last mission - Steam Users' Forums (retrieved)
- Double Agent Forums
- Verified by User:Suicide machine on 2020-09-12