|Windows||November 30, 2001|
|Genres||Action, Shooter, Vehicle combat|
|AquaNox 2: Revelation||2003|
|Aquanox: Deep Descent||2020|
AquaNox is a sequel to 1996's Archimedean Dynasty (also known as Schleichfahrt). It is a vehicle combat game developed by now defunct Massive Development and published by Fishtank Interactive, using their proprietary KRASS Engine. The game complexity was significantly reduced compared to the original, simplifying the dialog system to a minimum and focusing almost entirely on arcade combat. The game's then impressive graphics and DirectX 8 implementation resulted in a special version of the game being made and used for benchmarking graphics cards.
The game was released in 2001 to generally mixed reviews. While reviewers praised the graphics, it was criticised for its simplistic, repetitive gameplay, and the cuts made when compared to its predecessor. It was released in digital distribution in 2010.
The game is generally playable in current state, although applying SilentPatch is recommended in order to negate issues with high-polling mice.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video
- 5 Input
- 6 Audio
- 7 VR support
- 8 Network
- 9 Issues fixed
- 10 Other information
- 11 System requirements
- 12 Notes
- 13 References
|Retail||SafeDisc v2 DRM[Note 1].|
|Green Man Gaming|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
- The newest patch for non digital releases is 1.17. Patches for the game can be found here.
- Digital release is labelled as version 1.18.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/39630/pfx/[Note 2]|
|Widescreen resolution||See the WSGF entry.|
|Multi-monitor||See the WSGF entry.|
|Ultra-widescreen||See the WSGF entry.|
|4K Ultra HD||See the WSGF entry.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See the WSGF topic.|
|Windowed||640x480, requires a workaround for higher resolutions. See Windowed.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||FSAA up to 8.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||No frame rate cap.|
Starting the game in windowed mode
Force higher resolutions
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|XInput-compatible controllers||See Xbox 360 Controller.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|Steam Input API support|
|Hook input (legacy mode)|
|Official controller preset(s)|
|Steam Controller button prompts|
- This game works well with Xbox 360 Controller. However actions can not be bound to Left and Right Triggers. Below are recommended settings for X360 and similar controllers.
Recommend settings for Xbox 360 Controller
Direction of View section
Direction of Movement section (click More for Joystick settings)
Weapon's config section
Make sure to set Joystick: On under Joystick Section.
|Separate volume controls||Sliders for sound effects and music.|
|Subtitles||Can not be disabled.|
|Mute on focus lost||Can not be disabled.|
|EAX support||CreativeLabs EAX 1 and EAX2.|
User created profile, requires DGVoodoo2 v 2.55.4. See important instructions here, 3D screenshots samples here.
|Online play||16||GameSpy services have been shut down; see GameSpy for workarounds.|
Screen flickering (black frame)
|Direct3D||8, 8.1|||
|Shader Model support||1.0||Pixel Shader 1.0, Vertex Shader 1.1|
|Operating system (OS)||98||ME, 2000|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 3 400 MHz
AMD Athlon 400 MHz
|Intel Pentium 3 700 MHz
AMD Athlon 700 MHz
|System memory (RAM)||128 MB||256 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||500 MB||800 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| AGP 2X Video Card |
16 MB of VRAM
DirectX 8.0 compatible
|AGP 4X Video Card
64 MB of VRAM
Shader model 1.0 support
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/39630/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (39630) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- GeForce FX 5800 Ultra review by Guru3D - last accessed on 2020-06-10
- "One of my favorite benchmarks is AquaMark based upon the Krass engine that the upcoming title Aquanox serves. (...) Aquamark is a very good benchmark to test graphics cards, it utilizes the videocard probably better than any test software available accept CodeCreatures maybe ..."
- AquaNox review by GameSpy (archived) - last accessed on 2020-06-10
- "Archimedean Dynasty was a critically acclaimed, but obscure game, that mixed adventure and futuristic submarine combat. Now Massive Development has returned with a sequel, AquaNox, which takes you back to the dystopian undersea world of Aqua. It turns out that AquaNox wasn't really worth the long wait: it features technically impressive graphics, but otherwise it's a simplistic, dull, and at times amateurish game."
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Verified by User:Suicide_machine on 2016-08-19
- Pricing | GameSpy Technology
- Verified by User:Nessy on 2019-08-17
- Version number found in Mss32.dll in the game installation folder.