Aliens versus Predator 2
|Primal Hunt||Third Law Interactive|
|macOS (OS X)||The Omni Group|
|macOS (OS X)||MacPlay|
|Windows||October 30, 2001|
|macOS (OS X)||July 23, 2003|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase, Expansion pack|
|Genres||Action, FPS, Stealth|
|Themes||Horror, Sci-fi, Space|
|Series||Aliens versus Predator|
|Aliens versus Predator|
|Subseries of Alien|
|Subseries of Predator|
|Aliens versus Predator||1999|
|Aliens versus Predator 2||2001|
|Aliens vs. Predator||2010|
The game was released to Windows on October 23, 2001. The following year in August 2002 an expansion pack developed by Third Law Interactive titled Primal Hunt was released. In May 2003 the Gold Edition was released which bundled the base game with the expansion pack. Two months later on July 23, 2003 an OS X port developed by The Omni Group was released.
As the multiplayer service GameSpy has terminated its services, the game requires either a community-created Master Server Patches or the use of the third-party software GameRanger to enable online functionality.
- AvP Universe - fansite with some useful links
- The game is not sold digitally due to various legal issues with several parties.
- Free singleplayer and multiplayer demos are available.
- Gold Edition released in May 2003 bundles the base game with the Primal Hunt expansion pack.
DLC and expansion packs
|Primal Hunt||Expansion pack which adds new weapons and multiplayer maps as well as a singleplayer prequel campaign to the base game.|
- The v220.127.116.11 patch is available in the following languages: English, French, German, Italian, Korean and Spanish. It can be downloaded from the Files section
- Make sure the game is patched to v18.104.22.168 before installing the updates
- Single Player Map Update #1 - Fixes some bugs in the single player levels, only for the English version of the game (already included for others).
- Multiplayer Map Update #1 - Adds 10 new maps.
- Contrary to the name, this is an unofficial patch that not only redirects the multiplayer segment of the base game and Primal Hunt to a community-run master server, but also introduces fixes for modern systems.
- Requires the official 22.214.171.124 patch and Single Player Map Update #1.
- Includes widescreen and high resolution support, anisotropic filtering in the custom performance menu, a mouse input fix, and framerate issue fixes.
- Includes a console with commands for turning off visor color inversion, showing the framerate, toggling patch options, etc.
- Incompatible with custom launchers.
Skip intro videos
- Intro videos can be skipped by clicking on
Optionsin the launcher and ticking
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Multi-monitor||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Ultra-widescreen||See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD||See Widescreen resolution. HUD and menus do not scale well at very high resolutions.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16 samples for the base game with the Master Server Patch.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|High-fidelity upscaling||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Can be forced off.|
|120+ FPS||Sound and animation issues at higher frame rates. Cap the game at 60 FPS to prevent these.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)|
|Using the Master Server Patch|
|Alternative method: Use custom launchers|
|Alternative method: Edit autoexec[dubious – discuss]|
"SCREENWIDTH" "#" "GameScreenHeight" "#" "SCREENHEIGHT" "#" "GameScreenWidth" "#"
4. Change the resolution numbers that appear after those entries to the desired screen resolution.
|Master Server Patch: Activate borderless windowed mode|
|Lithfix: Activate borderless windowed mode|
|Use Borderless Gaming|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Slider option for mouse smoothing present. Lacks options for mouse acceleration.|
|Mouse sensitivity||Slider present.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Joystick only.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Subtitles||Under Game settings.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Royalty free audio|
|Hungarian||Fan translation; download for base game, Primal Hunt|
|Korean||Requires patch v126.96.36.199 installed.|
|Spanish||Download for base game, Primal Hunt|
|Online play||16||The official GameSpy service has been shut down; use the Master Server Patch for a community-run replacement.|
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
User created profile, requires DGvoodoo2 v 2.6 (DX6), see vorpx forum.
The game does not launch or crashes when loading a level
Windows 8 low frame rate in fullscreen
|Use low frame rate fix|
Uncontrollable mouse movement
- Mouse moves in wavelike pattern when attempting y-axis movement.
|Decrease mouse polling rate to 125 Hz.|
|Use the Master Server Patch|
|Install mrNuku and Ayleia's dinput.dll|
|Alternative method: Use DI-wrapper|
|Alternative method: Use LithFix for smoother mouselook|
Screen turns black in alternate Alien and Predator vision modes
- With recent graphics drivers, the game's color inversion does not work, resulting in the Alien vision and the Predator tech visor displaying black screens.
|Disable inverted vision modes in the Master Server Patch's console|
|Alternative method: Disable inverted vision modes by installing the vision mode fix|
|Alternative method: Install dgVoodoo 2|
Cutscenes play too fast
|Cap the frame rate at 60 FPS|
|Set monitor refresh rate to 60 Hz|
MFC Application Client Application Has Stopped Working error
- This error seems to also occur more often when running in fullscreen mode; consider using windowed or borderless windowed mode.
|Install the Master Server Patch|
- Check the Windows Event Log for the application error - if it refers to a \system32\HID.DLL then it's likely an error with some input devices.
|Install mrNuku and Ayleia's dinput.dll|
|Disable HID devices|
MSI Afterburner overlay makes the game crash
|Change the settings in RivaTuner|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Audio||Miles Sound System||6.0i|
- Replaces most textures in the game with higher resolution ones.
- The mod drastically changes the game's overall aesthetic, aiming for a grittier, more desaturated look.
|Operating system (OS)||98|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium III 450 MHz||Intel Pentium III 700 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||128 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||750 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 16 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 8.0 compatible
|32 MB of VRAM|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Operating system (OS)||10.2.6|
|Processor (CPU)||G4 700 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||1.2 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon
32 MB of VRAM
- Aliens Versus Predator 2: Gold Edition | WSGF
- KingKenny's Ultimate Guide for Getting AvP2 and Primal Hunt Working on Your Computer! | WSGF
- Verified by User:Suicide_machine on 2016-12-13
- Verified by User:Diegoelcapo1231 on 2020-07-27
- Youtube- How to get AVP2 working on windows 10 - last accessed on May 2023
- Verified by User:Zaphero on 2022-03-23