MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Microsoft Game Studios|
|MW4 Compilation release||Atari|
|Freeware release||MekTek Studios|
|Windows||November 7, 2002|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase, Freeware|
|Subseries of BattleTech|
|MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat||1995|
|MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries||1996|
|MechWarrior 4: Vengeance||2000|
|MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries||2002|
|MechWarrior: Living Legends (unofficial game)||2009|
|MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries||2019|
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows Vista and later (see Availability for affected versions).
- Comes with all 'Mechs from MechWarrior 4: Black Knight and is compatible with the official Mech Paks for MechWarrior 4: Vengeance.
- BattleTech Wiki - A massive wiki for everything BattleTech related
- MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries on TheGameEngine.org - solving some technical issues.
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
- This game is no longer available digitally.
- A free demo version is available from GameFront.
Skip intro videos
Run the game with the
- In 2003, the retail game received its first and only patch, Point Release 1 (PR1). It can be downloaded from GameFront and Patches-Scrolls.
Free release (from Mektek)
- 51.03.01.0017 (2010-04): game + first patch.
- 51.03.01.0021 (2010-05): game + first patch + latest ATI and Nvidia Cards support.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||False for retail; true for freeware MekTek release.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Toggle with Alt+↵ Enter.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||On/off only; set in the launcher.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Music and Sound Effects.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Royalty free audio|
|Online play||16||The official MSN Gaming Zone service has been shut down.|
"Your current hardware or driver setup is not compatible with MechWarrior 4" error
- When attempting to run the game on a modern Nvidia or AMD GPU you may receive the error "Your current hardware or driver setup is not compatible with MechWarrior 4..."; you may also be prevented from selecting your graphics card in the
|Multiplayer||MSN Gaming Zone|
|Operating system (OS)||98, ME, 2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||700 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||128 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||1 GB (retail release)
3 GB (MekTek release)
|Video card (GPU)|| 16 MB of VRAM
DirectX 8.1 compatible
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 or Windows 11 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Before posting on MechWarrior4 - General Discussion - MekTek Community
- Using DXwnd to run MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries on Nvidia GPUs : mechwarrior