MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
This page is a stub: it lacks content and/or basic article components. You can help to expand this page by adding an image or additional information.
|Monetization||One-time game purchase|
|Subseries of BattleTech|
|MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat||1995|
|MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries||1996|
|MechWarrior 4: Vengeance||2000|
|MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries||2002|
|MechWarrior: Living Legends (unofficial game)||2009|
|MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries||2019|
- MechVM fixes compatibility issues with modern systems.
- Windows versions do not work on Windows 8 and later.
- This game is not available digitally.
- A free demo version is available from Archive.org.
- The Titanium Trilogy includes Mercenaries as well as MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat with both expansions.
- The 3Dfx Interactive Edition does not actually include a 3dfx renderer. 3dfx support was included in the Titanium version.
- The DOS version uses software rendering. This version can be played in DOSBox.
- Windows versions can be played using MechVM.
DLC and expansion packs
|MercNet||Mercenaries equivalent of NetMech.|
- Windows versions do not work on Windows 8 and later; choose the DOS version when prompted (not included with all Windows versions).
- The v1.1 Patch fixes various issues and adds dynamic salvage (the original release had pre-determined salvage). Battlepack and Titanium versions are already patched.
Skip intro videos
|Use replacement MINTRO.SMK|
Apply the MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries intro skip.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||4:3 only; for higher 4:3 resolutions see Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Use Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Install nGlide and force in the graphics card control panel.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Install nGlide and force in the graphics card control panel.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||For DOSBox use an unofficial build (see the glossary page for other workarounds).|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS|
- Versions with 3dfx renderers can run at higher resolutions using nGlide (choice of stretched or pillarboxed 4:3); for Direct3D versions see the WSGF entry.
|Use nGlide|
- A patch to increase the game's view distance is available here.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||For DOSBox use the DOSBox Mapper (see the glossary page for other workarounds).|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||For DOSBox use the DOSBox Mapper (see the glossary page for other workarounds).|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Royalty free audio|
|Red Book CD audio||On Windows, CD music might not play correctly; see the troubleshooting guide for solutions.|
|Online play||8||Official servers have been shut down.|
Windows version crashes on mission launch on Windows 8 or later
- Windows versions crash on Windows 8 and later; use the DOS version instead.
- The disc must be inserted in CD-ROM 0; see this page for details.
|DOS video modes|
|Operating system (OS)||5.0|
|System memory (RAM)||8 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||45 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||SVGA 256 Color|
|Operating system (OS)||95|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 100|
|System memory (RAM)||16 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||195 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||Direct3D or 3dfx compatible|