The Sims 2
|macOS (OS X)||Aspyr Media|
|The Sims 2 Engine|
|Windows||September 14, 2004|
|macOS (OS X)||June 13, 2005|
|Monetization||Sponsored, DLC, Expansion pack|
|Subseries of Sim|
|The Sims Online||2002|
|The Sims 2||2004|
|The Sims Stories (series)|
|The Sims 3||2009|
|The Sims Medieval||2011|
|The Sims 4||2014|
- Large modding community.
- The disc version may not run properly on Windows 10 due to issues with SafeDisc and/or SecuROM.
|Retail|| SafeDisc v3 DRM[Note 1].
Later expansions use v4 or SecuROM 7 DRM.
|Mac App Store||Super Collection.|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
- The Windows version is no longer sold digitally.
- All Origin versions are automatically upgraded to The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. Contact the EA Support for retail versions.
- The Ultimate Collection has been pulled from the Origin store in August 2014.
- The Ultimate Collection from Origin no longer uses SecuROM DRM. However, it still requires Origin running to play.
- List of all different versions and regions can be found on Wikipedia.
DLC and expansion packs
|Open for Business||Expansion 3|
|Bon Voyage||Expansion 6|
|Apartment Life||Expansion 8|
|Family Fun Stuff||Stuff pack 1|
|Glamour Life Stuff||Stuff pack 2|
|Happy Holiday Stuff||Stuff pack 3. Also known as Festive Holiday Stuff in Europe.|
|Celebration! Stuff||Stuff pack 4|
|H&M Fashion Stuff||Stuff pack 5. Also known as Fashion Stuff in Australia.|
|Teen Style Stuff||Stuff pack 6|
|Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff||Stuff pack 7|
|IKEA Home Stuff||Stuff pack 8|
|Mansion & Garden Stuff||Stuff pack 9|
- Retail versions of the base game, expansions, and the Family Fun Stuff pack require patching after installation. The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Origin is already patched.
- Although the game's patch site has now gone down, many expansion pack patches are available from here. Patch notes can be found here.
Skip intro videos
|Delete or rename video files|
For the base game:
For the Ultimate Collection:
Improved view distances
Configuration file(s) location
<path-to-game>changes according to what expansions are installed. For example, the path of Ultimate Collection or all expansions would be
...\Fun with Pets\SP9\....
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\
|macOS (OS X)|
|Widescreen resolution||By default you can select up to 1280x720.For more widescreen resolutions see Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD||The text, UI elements and loading screen do not scale with resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use a utility such as GameCompanion together with the windowed launch argument.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Enabled with the Smooth Edges slider. SeeAnti-aliasing (AA) if it is greyed-out.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||On by default.
Can be disabled by using the
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||Refresh rate option goes up to 100 Hz. Windowed mode correctly uses desktop's refresh rate even higher than that.|
- The follow utility also addresses common issues like graphics settings that are inaccessible or not getting applied on newer GPUs, as well as black square Sim shadows.
|Use the Graphics Rule Maker|
Set maxResWidth and maxResHeight to your display's native width and height, or copy/paste the following:
option ScreenModeResolution setting $Low uintProp maxResWidth 2560 uintProp maxResHeight 1600 uintProp defaultResWidth 800 uintProp defaultResHeight 600 setting $Medium uintProp maxResWidth 2560 uintProp maxResHeight 1600 uintProp defaultResWidth 1024 uintProp defaultResHeight 768 setting $High uintProp maxResWidth 2560 uintProp maxResHeight 1600 uintProp defaultResWidth 1024 uintProp defaultResHeight 768 end
- Each of the game's cameras can have their FOV set independently using the FOV parameter in their camera settings files, which are located in
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Cameras\.
- The Sims 2 cannot determine how much VRAM modern GPUs have. As a result it defaults to its failsafe, which is 32 MB, and prevents edge smoothing.
|Raise amount of fallback value|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
- Alt-tabbing may not work properly during the game's loading screens.
|Separate volume controls||Voices, sound effects, music and ambience.|
|Surround sound||Stereo, 4.0 and 5.1|
|Subtitles||No intelligible dialog. All in-game dialog uses the fictional Simlish language.|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Retail release of the game has issues and will show an error message when loaded. Patching the game or installing the expansion packs will correct this.
Can't install the retail version on Windows 10
- Attempting to install via
AutoRun.exereturns an error message: "This app has been blocked for your protection; An administrator has blocked you from running this app"
|Disable UAC temporarily|
Temporarily freezing during launch with certain AMD GPUs on Windows 10
- Newer versions of the Radeon Adrenalin driver software cause this issue.
|Rollback to Radeon Adrenalin driver v.126.96.36.199|
|Alternatively, use DXVK to circumvent DirectX issues|
Fix crashing with Nvidia 1XXX and Windows 10
|Apply 4GB fix to the executable|
|Alternatively, use DXVK to circumvent DirectX issues|
Issues on newer CPUs
- The Sims 2 was made before the release of multi-core CPUs. It may have issues loading on startup on newer CPUs with multiple cores and hyperthreading.
Neighbourhoods inaccessible in Ultimate Collection
|Remove ™ in registry key|
Game stuck in 800x600 resolution
- Occurs because the game fails to detect the video card correctly.
|Edit Graphics Rules.sgr|
Cannot set shadows to high quality setting
|Use a custom config file|
Black Square Shadows
|Download Sim Shadow Fix|
Low quality neighborhood terrain
|Enable high quality neighborhood terrain|
Stuck Sims/Poorly Placed Objects/Frozen Objects
- Periodically, a sim may become trapped or a special object may be placed in a bad location, preventing a sim from doing anything. In other cases, a normal object may be improperly tagged as "in use" and cannot be moved, sold, or manipulated.
- Use this cheat carefully. Some objects like the mail box cannot be replaced once deleted.
- This issue is caused by using a mouse when playing on a laptop with a touchpad.
|Disable the touchpad|
|Alternatively, play with the touchpad instead of a mouse|
- If playing on a desktop PC, it is solved by pressing Tab ↹ when selecting options in the pie menu
|macOS (OS X)||Starting with the Nightlife expansion in 2006, the game and all its expansions were made universal binaries for Intel Macs, which continued until the Bon Voyage expansion in late 2007.
The Apartment Life and FreeTime expansions were not released individually and thus require the Ultimate Collection, which is Intel-only. Fortunately, it is fully 64-bit as of 2019.
- The Sims 2 attracted a large modding community, allowing further customization features. Unfortunately, even properly designed mods could increase the chances of crashes and errors in the game. Mods have a major impact on loading time and stability, and should be used with discretion if issues arise.
- These tools were created by Maxis and formerly hosted on the game's official website.
- Content Manager - Allows to manage mods and custom content.
- HomeCrafter Plus - Allows to create custom floors and walls.
- The Sims 2 and the BodyShop Demo should not be installed on the same machine at the same time. Existing save games may corrupt and other issues may arise.
|Operating system (OS)||98SE, ME, 2000||XP, Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)||800 MHz||2.4 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||3.5 GB||15 GB (with all DLC installed)|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon 7200 |
Nvidia GeForce2 Series
32 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9 compatible
|ATI Radeon 9600
Nvidia GeForce 6 series
64 MB of VRAM
- When the Seasons (or later) Expansion Pack is installed, T&L incompatible graphics chips can be used; however it requires a minimum CPU speed of 2.4 GHz.
|macOS (OS X)|
|Operating system (OS)||10.3.8|
|Processor (CPU)||1.2 GHz PowerPC G4/G5|
|System memory (RAM)|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||3 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon 9000
Nvidia GeForce FX5200
32 MB of VRAM
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- ArQAde: The Sims 2: Please insert the correct CD-ROM
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Origin - The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection FAQ
- The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection: SecuRom Update - Sims Community
- TS2; skip intro - PC Gaming - Tom's Hardware - last accessed on
- This is how Sims 2 can look in 2016 : thesims - last accessed on
- Forcing The Sims 2 to run in 4K . YouTube - last accessed on 2018-06-16
- The Sims 2 Windows 10 Graphics Patch *FIX PINK FLASHING* - YouTube
- Verified by User:Keith on 2020-04-02
- Blocked, can't start the autorun. [SOLVED]
- Sims 2, Graphics, Windows 10 - LeeFish forums - last accessed on April 4, 2020
- The Sims 2: Seasons for Windows (2007) Tech Info - MobyGames