Guild Wars 2
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|macOS (OS X)||TransGaming Inc.|
|Windows||August 28, 2012|
|macOS (OS X) (Cider)||August 28, 2012|
|Monetization||Expansion pack, Free-to-play|
|Microtransactions||Boost, Cosmetic, Currency, Free-to-grind, Infinite spend, Loot box, Unlock|
|Guild Wars Factions||2006|
|Guild Wars Nightfall||2006|
|Guild Wars: Eye of the North||2007|
|Guild Wars 2||2012|
- This game requires a constant internet connection for all game modes.
- Guild Wars 2 Wiki - Official wiki for Guild Wars 2 - accessible in-game using the
- Guild Wars 2 Forums - The official Guild Wars 2 forums, hosted by Arenanet (Multiple languages available).
- r/GuildWars2 Subreddit
- Guild Wars 2 Guru - Fansite with a large community and active forum.
- Guild Wars 2 Support - Comprehensive list of error codes and fixes.
-  - 64-bit beta client available for download
|Official website||The core game is free to play but free accounts have some limitations.|
|Official website||Heart of Thorns and/or Path of Fire|
|Amazon.com||Guild Wars 2 core game with full account (this version is included in the expansions).|
|Amazon.com||Heart of Thorns.|
|Gamesplanet||Heart of Thorns. Path of Fire also available.|
|Humble Store||Heart of Thorns. Heart of Thorns Deluxe Edition also available.|
- All versions require an ArenaNet Account and a constant internet connection for all game modes.
- For other stores Guild Wars 2 Retailers.
- Mac versions are scheduled to be discontinued on February 18, 2021.
|Expansion pack||Game is primarily supported through expansion packs and microtransactions.|
|Free-to-play||Originally requiring a game purchase, the game went free-to-play on August 29, 2015.  The free-to-play version allows for full access to the core game with some restrictions to prevent disruptive actions. |
DLC and expansion packs
|Heart of Thorns||Purchase includes unrestricted access to the core game and the Heart of Thorns expansion pack.|
|Path of Fire||Purchase includes unrestricted access to the core game and the Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire expansion packs.|
- Each purchase or expansion gives different levels of access to the game, including content, character slots, professions, etc, see the comparison table to compare Free, Core, Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire account levels.
|Boost||Experience Boosters and Item Boosters give a 50% bonus for a limited time, a limited amount can be earned as in-game reward. Black Lion Instant Level 80 Ticket takes the character to max level.|
|Cosmetic||Outfits, Skins for armors, weapons, gliders and mounts, miniature-pets, toys.|
|Currency||Gem currency is a real money purchase, and is used to unlock microtransactions or converted to gold (in-game currency).|
|Free-to-grind||Gold (in-game currency) can be grinded and exchanged for Gem. Level boosters can be earned in-game.|
|Infinite spend||Gem can be purchased with real money over and over again without a practical limit.|
|Loot box||Mount Adoption License drops a random mount skin, but you cannot drop duplicates and the single skin can be bought directly. Black Lion Chest Key used to open Black Lion Chest that contains random skins and other items.|
|Unlock||Various account upgrades, for example Bank Tab Expansion, Character Slot Expansion.|
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%APPDATA%\Guild Wars 2\GFXSettings.Gw2.exe.xml|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/1284210/pfx/[Note 1]|
|Multi-monitor||AMD owners have to use Flawless Widescreen.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Vert- in char select, crops models.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||In the resolution menu.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||'Best Texture Filtering' toggles 16x AF; other settings can be forced in the graphics card control panel.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||FXAA, SMAA and SSAA available. TrSSAA, and MSAA can be utilized through the anti-aliasing compatibility bits
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Has Vsync and Frame Limiter options.|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse sensitivity||Configurable via the 'Rotation Speed' slider|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls||Master, music, environment, effects, dialog, and UI.|
|Surround sound||supports 5.1 output|
|Mute on focus lost||Configured via sound settings.|
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|TCP||80, 443, 6112, 6600|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
Reducing texture shimmering on Nvidia graphics cards
- Use the anti-aliasing flag
Antialiasing fixset to
Using anti-aliasing flag
White in-game artifacts
- Can occur with AMD graphics cards when trying to override application AA/AF settings.
|Change Catalyst Control Center settings|
Cannot connect to the Internet
|Add an exception for Gw2.exe in your system's firewall|
Crashing on Startup
- RivaTuner Statistic Server causes crashes with d3d9.dll on launching the game. The error message does not mention anything other than the game crashed, but if you check event viewer it will notify you of the error.
|Add a profile for Gw2.exe and configure RivaTuner to Stealth Mode for GW2.EXE|
- Error codes starting with 7, 42, or 58 pertain to an inability to log in.
- Troubleshooting steps for these errors and others can be found on this support page.
- These arguments can be added after the last quotation mark in the target in the properties of your Guild Wars 2 shortcut or in Launch Options if you've added the game to Steam.
|-autologin||If client is set to remember account information, the game will login on launch.|
|-bmp||Overrides the game's default format for screenshots to use lossless .bmp files instead of .jpg files.|
|-diag|| Creates a detailed logfile at game start at
|-fps <number>|| Renders the game at
|-image||Forces the game to download all known updates.|
|-mapLoadInfo||Displays loading percentages and the amount of time that has passed while loading.|
|-mce||Start the client with Windows Media Center compatibility, switching the game to full screen and restarting Media Center (if available) after the client is closed.|
|-noui||Disables the user interface, producing the same effect as when one pushes Ctrl+Shift+H in-game to toggle it.|
|-nosound||Disables the audio system completely.|
|-perf||Displays performance indicators such as; Triangles, memory usage, frames per second and transfer rate in bytes per second are displayed in multi-colored text in the middle of the right side of the Guild Wars 2 window.|
|-repair||Starts the client and checks game files for errors and repairs them if needed.|
|-useOldFov||Changes the FoV back to how it was originally.|
|-windowed||Forces Guild Wars 2 to run in windowed mode.|
|-clientport <port>||Forces the game to run through a specific port, useful when your ISP is throttling certain ports and causing lag. Port 80 is recommended when using this switch.|
Enabling HBAO+ for Nvidia graphics cards
- Use the Ambient Occlusion flag
Using Ambient Occlusion flag
|macOS (OS X)||Support being discontinued from February 18, 2021.|
|Operating system (OS)||7||10|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core i3 2.8 GHz|
AMD Phenom II x4 2.8 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||6 GB||24 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||55 GB||65 GB|
|Video card (GPU)||Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 |
AMD Radeon HD 5770
Intel Iris 600 series
DirectX 9.0 compatible
- A 64 bit operating system is strongly recommended for quality of experience.
|macOS (OS X)|
|Operating system (OS)||10.9.X|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core i5|
|System memory (RAM)||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||50 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 320M
ATI Radeon HD 6630M
Intel HD 3000
- A 64 bit operating system is required to play on Mac.
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/1284210/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (1284210) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Announcing Guild Wars 2 for Mac - GuildWars2.com - last accessed on 2017-12-31
- Guild Wars 2 Forums - An Update on Mac Support for Guild Wars 2 - last accessed on 2021-01-09
- Play For Free Today - last accessed on 2021-04-17
- Guild Wars 2 Free Account (Features) - last accessed on 2021-04-17
- Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns FAQ
- Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire FAQ
- New 120Hz Games Report
- Guild Wars 2 Mac Client – Guild Wars 2 Support