|Windows||October 24, 2017|
|Monetization||Expansion pack, Free-to-play|
|Microtransactions||Boost, Cosmetic, Loot box|
|Themes||Post-apocalyptic, Sci-fi, Space|
- This game requires a constant internet connection for all game modes.
Destiny 2 (also known in Korea as Destiny: Guardians) is an online multiplayer FPS game developed and published by Bungie. Its predecessor Destiny was a console release in 2014, but a port of the game never released on PC.
Destiny 2 was first released on October 24, 2017 on Windows exclusively to Battle.net, making it the first non-Blizzard Entertainment title to be distributed via the platform. On January 2019, Bungie and Activision cancelled their publishing agreement, leaving Bungie as the game's publisher for the PC version. On October 1, 2019, Destiny 2 was removed from Battle.net and then released on Steam. The relaunch saw over 214,000 concurrent users playing the game on Steam.
Players are able to migrate their progress from Battle.net to Steam using Bungie's transfer service. Furthermore, Destiny 2 base game was branded Destiny 2: New Light and made into a free-to-play game, which contains elements from previous 'paid-for' expansion packs: story campaign of Curse of Osiris, Warmind, and elements of Forsaken. Expansion packs Shadowkeep and Forsaken are offered as additionally purchaseable content. Account data can be transferred from other platforms using Bungie's Cross Save tool, however DLC and Silver cannot be transferred between platforms.
Destiny 2's Bright Engram loot boxes were purchasable using currency Silver, but were removed from the store on March 10, 2020, however they can still be earned as part of the Season Pass which is a real money purchase.
As of May 2020, Destiny 2 is in active development and received content updates such as Season of the Worthy which released March 10, 2020. The game is one of the most popular on Steam as of April 2020, with an average daily peak of 82,517 players. Bungie has expressed an interest in implementing cross-platform play, and confirmed they plan to enable the feature by season 15, which is slated to launch in fall 2021
PC-specific discussions can be found on Steam Community Discussions. Destiny 2 also has an active subreddit r/destiny2, an official Discord server which also caters for players from all platforms, PC-specific Discord server called Destiny 2 PC LFG.
|Epic Games Store|
- All versions require a constant internet connection for all game modes.
- Cross-progression is supported for Steam, Epic Games Store, Microsoft Store, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PS5 and PS4. However, Microsoft Store, Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One also supports single account cross-progression. The same goes with PS5 and PS4.
- Gear you've earned from expansions still carries over between platforms, regardless of if you own the expansion on whatever platform you're playing on.
- Season pass transfers across accounts, as do any seasonal rewards. If you buy the season pass once, you'll have access to it everywhere. The only exception is Destiny 2: The Collection on Stadia. This version includes the season pass for Seasons 9-12 by default, and you can't transfer it to other platforms.
- Cross-platform play is supported.
- You can't merge two accounts. If you have two different characters on Xbox and Steam, for example, you can't combine them into a single account.
- Silver is only available on the platform you purchase it on. If you refund Silver on one platform to buy it on another, you won't be able to use cross-save until you re-buy the Silver on your main platform.
|Expansion pack||Game is primarily supported through expansion packs and cosmetic microtransactions.|
|Free-to-play||Game is free-to-play.|
DLC and expansion packs
|Expansion Pass||Grants access to the game's first two expansions Curse of Osiris and Warmind, now included as part of New Light. Both of these expansions have been removed and are vaulted within the Destiny Content Vault.|
|Destiny 2: Forsaken Pack||Grants access to the associated content in Forsaken. The campaign has been removed and is vaulted within the Destiny Content Vault, as of the launch of The Witch Queen on February 22, 2022.|
|Destiny 2: Shadowkeep||Grants access to the Shadowkeep campaign and associated content.|
|Destiny 2: Beyond Light||Grants access to the Beyond Light campaign and associated content.|
|Destiny 2: The Witch Queen||Grants access to The Witch Queen campaign and associated content.|
|Destiny 2: Bungie 30th Anniversary Pack||Grants access to the associated content in the Bungie 30th anniversary event.|
|Destiny 2: Lightfall||Grants access to the Lightfall campaign and associated content.|
|Boost||Season Pass is a real money purchase which provides Bright Engrams and bonuses for unlocking other cosmetic rewards. There are two boost purchases available: One raises a character's power level to the seasonal soft cap, the other skips the Lightfall expansion story campaign. |
|Cosmetic||Shaders, emotes, etc. are purchaseable using Silver.|
|Currency||Silver currency is a real money purchase, and is used to unlock cosmetics and Season Passes, as well as access to Dungeons from The Witch Queen and Lightfall expansions.|
|Free-to-grind||Season Pass gives in-game bonuses and cosmetics. A free tier exists although generally does not include cosmetics or boosts to seasonal activities.|
|Infinite spend||Silver can be purchased with real money over and over again without a practical limit. New items to buy are added to the store constantly including cosmetics and battle passes.|
|Time-limited||Expansion pre-orders contain exclusive cosmetics that aren't available after the pre-order period. Season Pass cosmetics are unavailable after the season the Season Pass is associated with ends.|
- Destiny 2's Bright Engram loot boxes were purchasable using currency Silver, but were removed from the store on March 10, 2020, however they can still be earned as part of the Season Pass which is a real money purchase, or earned by maxing out the free pass, and levels after that.
- Bungie received criticism for turning the cosmetic Shader from the original Destiny, into a single-use consumable. Shaders are a reward from the Bright Engram loot box or are earnable from in-game Engrams (standard loot). As of Beyond Light however Shaders are now unlockable rather than consumable, and are shared among a player's characters using the wardrobe system.
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/1085660/pfx/[Note 1]|
Save game cloud syncing
|Epic Games Launcher|
|Widescreen resolution||FMVs are letterboxed 21:9. This excludes 16:9 cutscenes.|
|Ultra-widescreen|| Native 21:9 FMVs are fullscreen.|
|4K Ultra HD|||
|Field of view (FOV)||Between 55° and 105°. Weapon models do not scale.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|||
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||FXAA, SMAA|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||240 FPS cap. FMVs capped at 30 FPS.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||Has white and black point adjustment, but changing black point breaks the HDR gamma curve. SDR brightness also affects the HDR brightness.|
|Color blind mode||Includes options for deuteranopia, protanopia, and tritanopia.|
How to set your HDR settings correctly
Adjust SDR brightness first then HDR settings.
In HDR settings adjust white point as instructed on the screen and leave black point at default. This is the general method to achieve best results however those results vary depending on display calibration, function's like dynamic contrast, black level, color gamut setting and whether it's an LCD or OLED display.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping|| ↵ Enter is permanently bound to text chat and cannot be bound to commands.|
|Mouse sensitivity||Adjustable from 1 to 100. Does not support decimal values.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion||Can also invert the X-axis.|
|Controller support||XInput controller and DualShock 4 supported.|
|Full controller support||Menus are navigated with a cursor controlled by the left stick.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion||Can also invert the X-axis.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|DualShock button prompts|
|Light bar support|
|Controller hotplugging||A prompt shows up if your controller is disconnected that can be closed either by reconnecting or hitting Escape.|
|Simultaneous controller+KB/M||Can switch between inputs without restarting, keyboard unlocks after ~second of no inputs from controller.|
Add/edit secondary bindings by manually editing configuration file
|Separate volume controls||SFX, Dialogue/Cinematics, Music, Chat|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Royalty free audio|
|Latin American Spanish|
|Operating system (OS)||7||8.1, 10|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core i3-3250 3.5 GHz
AMD FX-4350 4.2 GHz
|Intel Core i5-2400 3.4 GHz
AMD Ryzen R5 1600X 3.6 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||6 GB||8 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||105 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or GTX 1050 |
AMD Radeon HD 7850
2 GB of VRAM
|Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 or GTX 1060
AMD Radeon R9 390
4 GB of VRAM
- A 64-bit operating system is required.
- ↑ File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/1085660/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (1085660) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- ↑ How Bungie plans to make Destiny 2 on PC 'legit on day one' | PC Gamer
- ↑ Destiny 2 Coming to Battle.net! -- All News -- Blizzard News - last accessed on 2020-05-12
- ↑ Destiny 2 moves its PC home from Battle.net to Steam on October 1 - last accessed on 2020-05-12
- ↑ Destiny 2 breaks 200,000 peak concurrent users on Steam - last accessed on 2020-05-08
- ↑ Destiny 2 New Light: Everything you can play for free and how to make the most of it - last accessed on 2020-05-12
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Destiny 2's New Update Is Finally Eliminating Loot Boxes - last accessed on 2020-04-17
- "With the launch of Destiny 2's Season of the Worthy update in March, Bungie will finally be eliminating loot boxes from the game."
- ↑ Everything you need to know about Destiny 2 Season of the Worthy - last accessed on 2020-05-08
- ↑ Destiny 2 · AppID: 1085660 · SteamDB - last accessed on 2020-05-08
- ↑ @Bungie - last accessed on 2020-05-08
- ↑ Destiny 2021 Update: The Road to The Witch Queen - last accessed on 2021-02-25
- ↑ Destiny 2 is now officially on @Discordapp - last accessed on 2019-10-05
- "Destiny 2 is now officially on @Discordapp. Join the server and follow our channels for news and updates. We want to be where you play. https://discord.gg/destinygame"
- ↑ THIS WEEK AT BUNGIE -02/16/2023 - last accessed on 2023-05-31
- "Starting with Lightfall, we’re changing how paid Character Boosts work. Specifically, we’re introducing a new type of Character Boost that includes a campaign skip."
- ↑ Destiny 2 - MICROTRANSACTION.ZONE - last accessed on 2020-04-16
- ↑ Destiny 2’s shaders are consumables, leaving many fans enraged - last accessed on 2020-04-16
- ↑ View topic - Destiny 2 | WSGF
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 GameInformer: Destiny 2 On PC To Appear On Blizzard Launcher
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Destiny 2 on PC: everything we know so far
- ↑ PC Release: Scroll Wheel Kinetic & Energy Only, Mouse Click Heavy: DestinyTheGame - last accessed on May 2023
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 How Bungie plans to make Destiny 2 on PC 'legit on day one'
- ↑ Bungie Help: Destiny platform storage requirements - last accessed on 2020-12-10