From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Windows||March 30, 2005|
|Perspectives||Cinematic camera, Third-person|
|Genres||Survival horror, Shooter|
|Retail|| StarForce 3 DRM[Note 1].
Use Alternate Executable to remove the disc check.
|Green Man Gaming|
|Steam||Not available in Germany.|
|Ubisoft Store||Included with Ubisoft+. Does not need Uplay to run.|
- StarForce DRM for this game does not work on some versions of Windows (see above for affected versions).
Skip intro videos
|Delete video files|
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/15270/pfx/[Note 2]|
- 6 save slots available.
|Widescreen resolution||Use Cold Fear Widescreen Fix.|
|Multi-monitor||Use Cold Fear Widescreen Fix.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Use Cold Fear Widescreen Fix.|
|4K Ultra HD||Use Cold Fear Widescreen Fix. Very high resolutions have significantly reduced mouse sensitivity. Support for higher 4:3 resolutions is limited due to many causing the game to crash on startup.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV). See Changing the FOV distorts the shadows.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|60 FPS||If it's necessary, use 3rd party SW or GPU control panel to lock FPS.|
|120+ FPS||Framerates above 60 can cause glitches. See Issues fixed.|
CAMERA_AIM_FOV CAMERA_CONSTRAINT_FOV CAMERA_FOLLOW_MAXDIST
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Done in the same menu as controller remapping, with 2 input slots per action.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion||Both mouse y-axis inversion and controller y-axis inversion are controlled under "inversed aiming" option.|
|Controller support||Does not process analog controller inputs as analog. Instead processes them as "MAX" value input and "MIN" value input. As a result analog trigger inputs cancel each other out (eg. if you set left trigger to aim and right trigger to shoot, pressing both would just make you stop aiming).|
|Full controller support||Controller is completely unmapped upon first launch and has to be manually bound; the movement inputs, the run button, and the cling button are used to navigate menus (to change selected option, select an option, and go back, respectively).|
|Controller remapping||Done in the same menu as keyboard remapping, with 2 input slots per action.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion||Both mouse y-axis inversion and controller y-axis inversion are controlled under "inversed aiming" option.|
|XInput-compatible controllers||Supports Xbox 360 controllers out of the box. Xbox One controllers require a fix.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|Separate volume controls||Separate options for music, sound effects, and voices.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Russian||Retail only. Patch for digital release here.|
User created profile, requires DGVoodoo2 WIP58 (DX9) and very important tweaks profile introdution.
Anischenko Texture Stretching
- During certain animations the boss's textures glitch and stretch across the environment.
Game doesn't launch after changing resolution
Create a blank
Changing FOV Distorts Realtime Shadows
|Install the Widescreen Patch with killer-m's fix to make realtime shadows ignore FOV|
Sped-up animations in cutscenes and errors in gameplay
|Limit framerate to 60fps|
|Set refresh rate to 60hz|
- Game is mod-friendly. Most game variables are within editable config files located at
- A rebalance mod that makes you move faster, gives a flashlight to nearly every weapon, increases the max ammo of each weapon, increases the clip size of the pistol, etc.
- By default Extreme difficulty is locked until you complete a playthrough on Hard difficulty, this mod replaces the
COLDFEAR.DATfile with one where the difficulty is already unlocked.
- Extreme Difficulty sets your maximum health to 4% of Normal Difficulty so that you basically die in one hit. Enemies are made less aggressive and/or accurate to compensate.
|Operating system (OS)||2000||XP|
|Processor (CPU)||1 GHz||2 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||2.2 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 3/4/FX/6 series |
ATI Radeon 8500/9000/X series
64 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9 compatible
|128 MB of VRAM|
- This version of StarForce DRM does not work on Windows Vista or later. For supported versions of Windows the StarForce driver may need to be updated manually using SFUPDATE.
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/15270/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (15270) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Windows Vista support - StarForce Support
- Windows 7 support - StarForce Support
- Windows 8.1 support - StarForce Support
- Windows 10 support - StarForce Support
- Cloud save support for games available on Ubisoft+ - last accessed on 2021-08-30
- Github - Comment detailing issues with current support
- View topic - Cold Fear | WSGF
- Github - Shadows become more broken the wider the screen resolution
- Youtube - ColdFear Extended Edition