|macOS (OS X)||Aspyr Media|
|OS X, Linux||Aspyr Media|
|Windows||September 21, 2010|
|macOS (OS X)||November 23, 2010|
|Linux||June 10, 2014|
|Civilization: Call to Power||1999|
|Civilization IV: Colonization||2008|
|Civilization: Beyond Earth||2014|
- PC Report - Sid Meier's Civilzation V on Linux
- 2K Games Forum - Official Civilization V forum.
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Workshop
- Steam Forum Troubleshooting Thread - Troubleshooting Guide for Windows version.
- CivFanatics very large Civilization community.
|Gamesplanet||Sold by 2K Games.|
|Gamesplanet||Sold by Aspyr Media.|
|Green Man Gaming|
|Mac App Store||Campaign Edition. No online play.|
- The Campaign Edition does not support online play; LAN multiplayer can work with other Mac App Store versions, or with the Steam version, if they are the same version. However, they are often updated at different times, so it can be months before they get the same update and are compatible.
- The Complete Edition includes all DLC.
DLC and expansion packs
|Gods and Kings|
|Brave New World|
|Wonders of the Ancient World|
|Explorer's Map Pack|
|Civilization and Scenario Pack: The Vikings|
|Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia|
|Civilization and Scenario Pack: Mongols|
|Civilization and Scenario Pack: Korea|
|Civilization and Scenario Pack: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)|
|Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca|
|Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia|
|Cradle of Civilization: Americas|
|Cradle of Civilization: Asia|
|Cradle of Civilization: Mediterranean|
|Scrambled Nations Map Pack|
|Scrambled Continents Map Pack|
- Mods are available through multiple distribution channels. Easily accessible through the Steam Workshop, as well as manually installable. Popular sources include CivFanatics.
- You must activate a mod after installing in order to make it work. To do so, enter the Mods menu and tick the checkbox next to the mods you want to activate.
|Manual mod installation|
Increasing the zoom level
|Manually edit config.ini|
|Skipping new launcher|
|Skipping old launcher|
Skip intro videos
|Delete/rename video files|
Skip legal screen
|Skipping legal screen|
Skip mods warning
|Skipping mods warning|
2. Find lines:
--if(not isHide and g_QueueEulaToHide) then -- NavigateBack(); --end
3. Replace them with:
if not isHide then NavigateForward(); end
4. Save the file.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\|
|macOS (OS X)||~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/|
|Linux||$XDG_DATA_HOME/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/|
- This game follows the XDG Base Directory Specification on Linux.
- The configuration can be found in
- User preferences can be found in
- Graphical settings for DX9 mode can be found in
- Graphical settings for DX11 mode can be found in
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\|
|macOS (OS X)||~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves/|
|Linux||$XDG_DATA_HOME/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves/|
- Save files are differently named for each OS, but are compatible when saved with the same version. To use them, you will need to rename them.
|Steam Cloud||Only 10 saves can be synced. Select "Steam Cloud" in the Save menu to access.|
|4K Ultra HD||Interface does not scale with resolution, and can be quite small in 4K. It's recommended to have both the "Auto Size Interface" and "Small Scale Interface" UI options unchecked.|
|Field of view (FOV)||Camera can be zoomed in-and-out freely.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed. Enabled by default on Linux.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||MSAA, up to 8x.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
- Requires a resolution at least 768 pixels tall.
- Direct3D 11 graphical features, including anti-aliasing, are not available in the OS X and Linux versions of the game.
|Keyboard and mouse, touch||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Touchscreen optimised||Only available on Windows 8 and later.|
|Controller support||Official Steam Controller bindings only.|
|Steam Input API support||Official Steam Controller bindings only.|
|Hook input (legacy mode)|
|Official controller preset(s)|
|Steam Controller button prompts|
|Separate volume controls||Music, SFX, ambience and speech.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Local play||6||Hot seat
|LAN play||6||Campaign Edition only supports LAN with other Mac App Store players.|
|Online play||6||Campaign Edition does not support online play.|
|Asynchronous multiplayer||Via the Pitboss system.|
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|TCP||53, 80, 1745, 1795, 3074|
|UDP||53, 88, 1745, 1795, 3064, 3074|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
|Nvidia 3D Vision||3D Vision Ready. GG3D certification might be unjust.|
Mods disappear, fail to download
|Clear the Mod Database|
- This may be caused by database files and user settings becoming damaged.
|Erase game cache|
|Remove user settings|
|Decrease MaxSimultaneousThreads|
Gray tiles, tiles not loading
Crash after starting a new game
- This is particularly important on DirectX 9 or graphics cards with low memory.
|Fog of War Crash Fix|
Can't select units or end turn
- If you have a delay in units responding, or the end turn button does not work, try the following:
|Disable EnableGameCoreThreading|
- The game may crash when meeting other leaders.
|Change Leaderhead Quality|
|Disable Leaderheads|
Restore the original launcher
|Restore the original launcher|
- The latest patch resolves most of the reported multiplayer bugs.
Multiplayer Games Dropping or Disconnecting During Play
Sometimes players will be dropped after a multiplayer match has progressed for several dozen turns or more. After reloading the game, the player will repeatedly disconnect. This problem can be caused by an insufficient MTU value on the network connection. Changing it before starting the multiplayer game can often fix the problem. To do so, enter the following in the command prompt:
|Set network MTU value|
Windows and macOS version mismatch
The macOS version is not handled by Firaxis or 2K Games, so they only develop patches for Windows. Another company (Aspyr) handles the macOS version of the patches, after they have been released on Windows. As a result, macOS patches are released later than Windows patches. You cannot play multiplayer unless the versions match, so after a Windows update, you cannot play online against macOS until the macOS has also been patched, and vice versa.
Since the launch of macOS Catalina, the macOS version has been updated to 64-bit only, disabling cross-play.
|Restore local and online cross-play between Mac and Windows since the 64-bit Catalina OS update|
- Running at least previous Mac OS Mojave is necessary to make it work as OS Catalina doesn't run 32-bit applications.
- Disabling the "Gods and Kings" DLC in the Multiplayer Lobby's Options could help if the game crashes after launch.
Unable to run DirectX 11
If the DirectX 11 option is unavailable, try the following.
- Ensure Steam is not running in Compatibility Mode.
|Disabling Compatibility Mode|
- This may also be caused by out of date drivers.
- DirectX 10/11 Mode will not work on XP.
- Not all video cards are capable of running DirectX 10 or 11, even with Windows 7. Intel Core i3 integrated graphics do not support DirectX 11 Mode in Civilization V.
Crash and BSOD with DX11 fullscreen on laptops
On some old laptops with a combination of Intel integrated graphics and a pre-GCN AMD GPU, the game will fail to start in DX11 mode if fullscreen is enabled. Such a crash also corrupts some of the internal state of the AMD driver, resulting in a BSOD if you try to start the game a second time, or activate the AMD GPU in any way. The system regains stability upon reboot. This is likely a bug in the AMD driver that will never be fixed due to the end of support for these old GPUs.
- Use DX9
- Edit GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini and set FullScreen = 0. You may want to use borderless windowed.
- Enabling pointer trails in Windows may cause the cursor to disappear or act strangely. Disable this feature while playing.
Black screen (anti aliasing issue)
- Enabling anti-aliasing on DirectX 11 mode may cause the game to turn black. It is recommended that you enabled anti-aliasing through your graphics software, and not the game. If antialiasing is enabled and this issue is present (causing the screen to be black), you can edit
GraphicsSettingsDX11.inito fix this.
Issues with resolution (screen cutoff)
Sometimes after installing the game, the game resolution will be larger than the screen and parts of the game will be cut off. To fix this, go into options and change the game resolution. If you are unable to access the options, manually edit
GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini (depending on which DirectX mode you use) in
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5 to the correct resolution (1024x768 Minimum).
If the game does not run, or will not start most of the time, and nothing else seems to fix the problem, Virtu MVP might be causing the issue. Try unchecking Civ 5 DirectX 9 and Civ 5 DirectX 10/11 in the Virtu MVP control panel.
Issues with opening movies
If the game crashes to desktop or loads to a black screen, then there may be an incompatibility with the video files. Deleting the WMV video files from the Civilization V folder may allow the game to run, as the expense of losing the opening movies.
The video files for Civilization V are located in the installation folder. If you have Gods and Kings, you will also need to delete the videos from
"N" Versions of Windows may not be compatible with the opening videos.
To fix the audio stuttering when using PulseAudio just follow this guide: Setting the default fragment number and buffer size in PulseAudio
If the issue persists, close the game, run pulseaudio -k and start the game again.
Game crashes on launch
If your game crashes immediately after launching it you can try changing your launch options to:
Game crashes randomly on some Ryzen CPUs
If your game crashes to desktop randomly while in game with a Ryzen CPU, modifying the MaxSimultaneousThreads setting in your config.ini file can fix this issue.
~/.local/share/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/config.ini
For 8 core Ryzens, setting MaxSimultaneousThreads to 16 can fix the issue.
MaxSimultaneousThreads = 16
|OpenGL||3.3||OS X and Linux only.|
|Shader Model support||3, 5|
|macOS (OS X)||This game is not supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive). Support for 64-bit was added in November 2019.|
|Audio||Miles Sound System|
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP3, Vista SP2, 7||Vista SP2, 7|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz
AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
|1.8 GHz Quad Core|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||8 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT |
Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS
Intel Core i3 integrated graphics
256 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|ATI Radeon HD 4800
Nvidia GeForce 9800
512 MB of VRAM
DirectX 11 compatible
|Sound (audio device)||DirectX 9.0c compatible|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Operating system (OS)||10.12|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz||Intel Quad Core 2.4 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||8 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon HD 2600 |
Nvidia GeForce 8600
Intel HD 4000
256 MB of VRAM
|1 GB of VRAM|
|Operating system (OS)||SteamOS, Ubuntu|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core i3 2.4 GHz
AMD A10 2.4 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||10 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce GT 640M
AMD Radeon HD 6450
Intel Iris Pro
1 GB of VRAM
- Ubuntu and other distributions of Linux should be compatible with the game, albeit this isn't guaranteeed.
- Intel Integrated video chipsets (GMA 9XX, HD 3XXX) are officially unsupported with SteamOS and Linux, although they might work anyway.
- Sid Meier's Civilization V :: New and Improved Launcher Added to Civilization V and Civilization VI
- How to bypass the stupid launcher | page 3 | CivFanatics Forums
- How to skip start-up logos (NOT the intro movie) :: Sid Meier's Civilization V General Discussions
- Trezker comments on Can you skip the annoying Civ 5 intro screens?
- New 120Hz Games Report
- Verified by User:Andytizer on 18 June 2012
- Play all your games in Windowed borderless mode. - Page 9 - Steam Users' Forums (retrieved)
- "F12 conflict; how to remap keys?" - Steam Community Discussions
- Civilization V | GeForce
- Civ V Hot fix released - Civilization Fanatics' Forums
- Problems after the latest patch? :: Steam Community Discussions
- PSA: You can disable the new CIV 5 launcher by typing "ineedlegacyaccess" into the betas tab. : civ
- PSA: New Mac Update “Disables Crossplay” with Windows Users. Not a glitch.