Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
|macOS (OS X)||Aspyr Media|
|Disney Interactive Studios|
|OS X, Linux||Aspyr Media|
|Windows||February 8, 2005|
|macOS (OS X)||July 21, 2015|
|Linux||July 21, 2015|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase, Subscription gaming service|
|Controls||Direct control, Menu-based|
|Series||Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic|
- Retail version (2012) re-released in a bundle with the first game and made compatible with recent operating systems.
- Aspyr version (2015) updated to support OS X and Linux, widescreen resolutions, controller support and other improvements including Steam Workshop support.
- Aspyr Media support page
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Obsidian Forum
- Steam Community Discussions
- Modding guide for Steam version.
|Retail|| SecuROM 5 DRM disc check (1.0)
SecuROM 7 DRM disc check (1.0b/1.02b)
|Sold by Aspyr Media.|
|Green Man Gaming|
|Mac App Store||Aspyr version.|
|Origin||Included with EA Play Pro.|
|(unavailable)||Sold by Disney Interactive Studios.|
- The soundtrack is stored in MP3 format, however junk data at the beginning of each file prevents them from being played back in media players. Run this script[Note 1] from the game's music directory[Note 2] to create standard music files that can be played back in most media players.
- Knights of the Old Republic Collection includes both Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords.
- Retail (CD/DVD) releases of KotOR II do not include Aspyr Media's update.
- Aspyr Media's update was made available on Steam in 2015. The prior version of KotOR II, which does not include Aspyr's changes, can still be accessed. To access the prior version, select the "legacypc" beta branch in the game properties window in Steam.
- Aspyr Media's update ("1.0b update") was made available on GOG.com in 2022. The prior version of KotOR II, which does not include Aspyr's changes, can still be accessed via GOG Galaxy. To access the prior version, install KotOR II, uncheck "Automatically update to newest version" in the GOG Galaxy game configuration window, and select "Version 1.0b".
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords on Origin does not include Aspyr Media's update.
- Not applicable to the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Collection DVD release or the digital versions via Steam, GOG.com and Origin.
- Patch v1.0b is the latest patch for the original retail release.
- Highly recommended to restore content that was cut from the game.
- Also available on Steam Workshop.
- Available in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish and Russian.
- Version 1.8.2 onwards supports M4-78 Enhancement Project which restores droid planet content, but works only for English version.
- Requires Restored Content Mod to be installed first.
- Fixes numerous bugs and improves the game contents.
- Easy to install.
Skip intro videos
|Delete or rename movie files|
Higher quality media
- Not applicable to the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Collection DVD release and digital versions via Steam, GOG.com, or Origin.
|Higher quality movies install instructions|
Install Movie Update Patch - 1135 MB
|Higher quality music install instructions|
Install Music Update Patch - 145 MB
Configuration file(s) location
|macOS (OS X)||~/Library/Application Support/Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II/swkotor2.ini|
Save game data location
|macOS (OS X)||~/Library/Application Support/Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II/saves/|
- This game follows the XDG Base Directory Specification on Linux.
|Widescreen resolution||Native for Aspyr version. For other versions, see Widescreen resolution.|
|Multi-monitor||Use Flawless Widescreen.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Use Flawless Widescreen.|
|4K Ultra HD||Native for Aspyr version.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Borderless Gaming. Any other hacks will make the mouse cursor inaccurate.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||External Vsync will cause performance issues.|
|120+ FPS||No limit. Frame rates over 60 can cause issues, see Stuttering or Freezing after combat / Unable to move the character|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||See the glossary page for potential alternatives.|
- TweakGuides has created a comprehensive guide for fixing issues in this game. It can be found here.
- Not necessary for Aspyr version.
- Widescreen fixes will break the minimap location reporting, which can be solved using the UI fixes.
- Widescreen fixes resolutions of 1366x768 and under will not display dialogue option text correctly and are unplayable.
- Video tutorial for widescreen available here
- This uses a slightly older version of the game with some bugs (not necessary for the GOG.com version).
|Make necessary changes|
[Display Options] Width=2048 Height=1152 [Graphics Options] Height=1152 Width=2048
- Ultra-Widescreen fixes will break the minimap location reporting, which can be solved using the UI fixes (instructions included below).
- Using Flawless Widescreen can cause memory leaks, which in turn can corrupt the current save file.
|Apply the following instructions|
Full Screen Movies
- This method does not work on latest game version.
- Guide located here Archived (it is not necessary to edit your .bik files)
80 02 00 00 75 15 81 3D E8 C1 80 00 E0 01 . . . 80 02 00 00 C7 44 24 10 E0 01
The resulting hex sequences should look like this, for a 1920x1080 resolution:
80 07 00 00 75 15 81 3D E8 C1 80 00 38 04 . . . 80 07 00 00 C7 44 24 10 38 04
Recommended graphical mods (Steam)
- Mod list
- Animated Galaxy Map - The Galaxy Map texture is now sized up from 128x128 to 512x512. In addition texture is now animated.
- Canonical Jedi Exile 1.2 - Modifies the fifth Caucasian female head to match Meetra Surik's official look, as described in external material.
- Citadel Station Signage - Replace textures the various signage seen around the station.
- Fire and Ice HD, Whee! - Replaces fire and ice textures with higher quality and resolution.
- Fix Head Model Clipping - Fixes error in the TSL head model files.
- Fixed Lightsaber Colors (#1) or Fixed Lightsaber Colors (#2) - Change the lightsaber colors to more closely match those in the movies and other media.
- New Texture of Holocrons in the Telos Secret Academy - Replaces the holocrons texture with a new and animated.
- Replacement Texture for Lightning on Malachor - Replaces lightning textures on Malachor with more detailed and realistic.
- TSL Backdrop Improvements - Improve the space scenes in Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.
- Unlimited World Texture mod - 4x AI upscale of over 600 world textures and reworks of some textures with existing game assets.
- Widescreen UI - Although native 16:9 support was added in the Steam version, many UI elements are still stretched and/or misaligned from 4:3. This mod fixes the remaining stretched and/or misaligned assets. Not compatible with controller support.
- Visas HD Re-Skin - HD textures for Visas.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion||By default reversed, i.e. activate inversion to get "normal" behaviour.|
|Controller support||Steam version only, XInput supported, DirectInput has some mapping issues.|
|Full controller support||Steam version only.|
|Controller remapping||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion||Steam version only.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|Button prompts||For DualShock controllers use DualShock 3 Button Prompts mod. For Steam controllers use Steam Controller Buttons for KotOR II|
|Steam Input API support|
|Hook input (legacy mode)|
|Official controller preset(s)|
|Steam Controller button prompts||Mod available on the Steam Workshop: Steam Controller Buttons for KotOR II|
|Separate volume controls||In some sections of a game, the in-game music volume is not affected by the volume slider.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX 3 (Newest Update removes EAX from Steam version))
(Manual download https://drive.google.com/file/d/15nyAOKWS_gHU-J6oa5a_3lZkmAvBBaXA/ - copy the .dll file next to the swkotor2.exe and the in-game EAX option becomes unlocked)
|Royalty free audio|
|Polish||Fan translation, download or steam workshop page.|
|Russian||1) Fan translation, text and video or Steam Workshop page.
2) Fan translation + translation Restored Content (Recommended), .
|Spanish||Updated Steam version comes with Spanish UI elements. For subtitles, use The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification (TSLRCM).|
- Error occurs after the company logos and before the main menu, or after clicking on 'Load Game' from the main menu.
- Full error message: 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working'.
|Switch to windowed mode|
Switching to windowed mode sometimes fixes this issue..
|Activate discrete graphics card|
Make sure non-Intel graphics card is being used. Intel integrated graphics seems to work for the Steam version but not the retail version in some cases.
|Change Nvidia Control Panel settings|
If you have a newer Nvidia GPU and your game keeps crashing when you click 'Load Game' from the main menu, a detailed solution for this can be found here. The critical detail seems to be changing
|Disable "Frame Buffer Effects"|
If the game crashes after initial character creation and an AMD/ATI video card is in use, disabling Frame Buffer Effects in the game's Advanced Graphics Options may fix the issue.
|Disable "Shadows" setting|
If the game crashes unexpectedly from time to time, disabling the shadows can fix it. For example, the crash may be at the Ebon Hawk, on the Prologue level, when approaching the Quadlaser turret.
Stuttering or Freezing after combat / Unable to move the character
- This can be fixed by limiting maximum frame rate.
|Cap the maximum FPS.|
|Temporary solution|
|Use VSync|
|Disable frame buffer effects|
|Low Frame Rate|
Retail installation for Windows 7
- All steps should be done with an administrator account.
- Working on Windows 7 x64 bit.
|Retail installation instructions|
Stretched UI on widescreen resolutions
- After applying a widescreen resolution, the HUD and UI elements will be stretched.
Widescreen UI Fix
- 16:9 and 16:10 only.
- Some menu and UI elements remain stretched. See Improved Widescreen Experience for solution.
|Retail and GOG|
Improved Widescreen Experience
- Recommended to install after Widescreen UI Fix.
|Improved Widescreen Experience|
Dialogue options will not display on vertical resolutions of 1366x768 or below
|Increase resolution to 1366x785|
[Display Options] Width=1366 Height=795 [Graphics Options] Height=795 Width=1366
The game crashes on Intel HD Graphics (Linux, Wine)
|The issue is, that the game uses a very old OpenGL version, which is often not compatible with modern drivers. These steps also fix various graphical bugs.|
#!/bin/sh export MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=iris export MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2001 wine swkotor2.exe
User created game profile, see vorpx forum profile introduction for important notes.
|macOS (OS X)|
|Audio||Miles Sound System||6.5h|
- KotOR and TSL Save Game Editor (English Language Only), also known as the 'KSE'.
- Save game editor (cheat) works for both KotOR 1 and 2.
- The save game editor doesn't automatically detect the Steam version of KotOR2.
|Choosing game location inside the KSE program|
|Steam registry|
|Operating system (OS)||98, 2000, ME, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||1 GHz||1.6 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||128 MB||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||4 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 32 MB of VRAM |
OpenGL 1.4 compatible
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|128 MB of VRAM|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Operating system (OS)||10.9.5, 10.10|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core i3 Dual Core 2.2 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||10 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce GT 330M
ATI Radeon HD 3870
Intel HD 3000
256 MB of VRAM
- A 64-bit operating system is required.
|Operating system (OS)||SteamOS, Ubuntu 14.04|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core i3 Dual Core 2.2 GHz
AMD A10 Series
|System memory (RAM)||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||10 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce GT 440
ATI Radeon HD 5450
Intel HD 4400
256 MB of VRAM
- If using Windows, install Git for Windows to enable Bash scripts.
- It may be necessary to copy the music directory to the desktop.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Introducing and updated KotOR II for Mac, Linux, and Windows!
- Verified by User:SirYodaJedi on 2018-10-18
- Music from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com
- STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - GOG Database
- Verified by User:Nessy on 2021-09-27
- Tweakguides - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 Tweak Guide
- Daily Stream - Vsync and KotOR 2
- Widescreen Gaming Forum - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2
- Tested by Andytizer, 1920x1080 tested as working.
- Steam Forums - Ultimate KotOR 2 Tweak Guide (retrieved)
- Verified by User:Suicide machine on August 13, 2016
- Tested on Steam version of a game. Noticed mostly in the beginning sections of Peragus II and in settlers' chamber on Tatooine.
- Tested by Andytizer
- KotOR 2 will not work (steam version) - Steam Users' Forums (retrieved)
- Tested by Ehs0329.
- Ultimate KotOR 2 Tweak Guide - Page 2 - Steam Users' Forums (retrieved)
- Crash on Telos Surface :: STAR WARS™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™ Technical Support Discussions - last accessed on 2022-01-14
- Verified by User:Markhoris on 2019-01-30
- Version number found in Mss32.dll in the game installation folder.