Silent Hill 3
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Windows||October 31, 2003|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase|
|Perspectives||Cinematic camera, Third-person|
|Themes||Contemporary, Horror, North America|
|Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut||2002|
|Silent Hill 3||2003|
|Silent Hill 4: The Room||2004|
|Silent Hill: Homecoming||2008|
|Silent Hill 2||TBA|
Silent Hill 3 is a singleplayer cinematic camera and third-person survival horror game in the Silent Hill series.
The PC version adds improved flashlight lighting, 60 FPS gameplay and the ability to save at any time during the game. All fourteen of Heather's promotional outfits from the PlayStation 2 version are not present in the PC release. The game also lacks the soft shadows of the PlayStation 2 version. The PC version suffers from badly compressed audio and incorrect pitch, resulting in poor sound quality. See Silent Hill 3 Audio Enhancement.
- The North American physical release had 5 CDs, while the European PC physical release features just one DVD.
- This game is not available digitally.
Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006
- Includes all fixes and features from all other patches.
- Adds manual FOV control, borderless mode, window positioning, ability to force Vsync and more.
- Restores missing audio and unused beta sounds.
Silent Hill 3 Audio Enhancement Pack
- Offers uncompressed PS2 audio quality with correct pitch for sound effects/music.
- Has an online updater.
- Compatible with Steam006's fix and HD Collection Voice Pack.
- Requires the use of Reloaded II.
Skip intro videos
|Delete data from files|
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Use fix by Steam006.|
|Multi-monitor||Use fix by Steam006.|
|4K Ultra HD||Use fix by Steam006.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Windowed||Can also be toggled with Alt+↵ Enter.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Use fix by Steam006.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Forced post-process AA only (FXAA, MLAA)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Disabled by default. See Force Vsync.|
|60 FPS||Frame rate may fluctuate between 30 and 60 FPS. See Issues fixed.|
|120+ FPS||Frame rate is capped at 60 FPS. Increases the game speed when uncapped.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)|
- Rendering resolution is actually internal frame buffer resolution. Use Widescreen Fix to customize.
- It is highly recommended to set the in-game
5for adequate contrast.
Field of view (FOV)
|Use FOV Hack|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Strong negative mouse acceleration by default.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||DirectInput only. For XInput controllers, see Controller support.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|XInput-compatible controllers||See Controller support.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|DualShock button prompts||Recognizes every button natively while playing.
|Light bar support|
|Haptic feedback||Can be set between Soft, Normal, Hard or Off.
For XInput controllers, see Controller support.
- A fix is required for the game to recognize XInput Right Stick, LT/RT, LS/RS and D-pad when assigning controls.
- Force feedback emulation can also be enabled for XInput controllers.
|Use XInput Plus|
|Use Steam Input to bind triggers with keyboard bindings|
|Separate volume controls||Separate sliders for BGM and SE.|
|Mute on focus lost||See Mute on focus lost.|
|Royalty free audio|
Mute on focus lost
|Set mute in background|
|Polish||Fan translation, download.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Fan translation, download.|
|Russian||Full fan localization, download.|
|Turkish||Fan translation, download.|
Silent Hill 3 HD Collection Voice Pack
- Ports voices from the HD Collection to the PC version.
- Requires the use of Reloaded II.
- Has an online updater.
- Compatible with Steam006's fix and the Audio Enhancement Pack.
- Includes higher resolution FMVs from the HD Collection.
- If using anti-aliasing (MSAA, at least), the Depth of Field effect becomes corrupted (halos around objects).
- Post-process AA (FXAA, MLAA) works as intended (best compatibility in conjunction with the D3D9-11 wrappers).
- The light sources affected by bloom leave long dark motion trails on screen when camera is moving.
|Turn off the fullscreen smoothing filter|
Frame rate fluctuation
- Frame rate may fluctuate between 30 and 60 FPS.
- Both solutions won't work properly with low FPS. Frame rate must be at least above 50 FPS.
|FPS fluctuation fix|
|Force single core affinity|
Low resolution Depth of Field
|Custom DOF resolution|
Low resolution Shadows
|Custom shadows resolution|
White border on Windows 10
|Fix fullscreen issues|
Silent Hill 3 Widescreen Fix by ThirteenAG
- An alternative D3D8 wrapper which adds some fixes and features (outdated):
- Widescreen support (With proper Vert- scaling to hide off-screen characters in certain cutscenes).
- Disabling cutscenes letterboxing.
- Native single core affinity.
- Removing the FPS fluctuation between 30 and 60 FPS.
- UI/HUD width correction in widescreen (through pillar-boxing).
- Removing the safe mode warning when closing the game through Alt+F4.
- Fixing image deformation when rendering the game at higher resolutions.
- Ability to change the status screen resolution.
- Ability to change the depth of field resolution.
- Ability to change the real-time shadows resolution.
- Ability to change the fog complexity.
- Enabling several references to Silent Hill 2 for new saves, a feature from sh3proxy.
Nemesis2000's Widescreen fix for Silent Hill 3
- A D3D8 wrapper which adds enhanced fog effects (similar to Nemesis2000's fog fix for Silent Hill 2) along with most of the fixes from the widescreen patch mentioned above.
- Not all fixes from the above patch seem to be included, e.g. UI/FPS fixes and references to Silent Hill 2 (needs testing to be sure!).
- Listed here for archival purposes; see Steam006's patch instead.
|Operating system (OS)||98, ME, 2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz or AMD Athlon||Intel Pentium 4 1.4 GHz or AMD Athlon|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||4.7 GB||6 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti |
ATI Radeon 8500
32 MB of VRAM
DirectX 8.1b compatible
|Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti
Nvidia GeForce FX
|Sound (audio device)||DirectX compatible|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- ↑ Silent Hill 3 Costumes - Silent Hill Memories - last accessed on May 2023
- ↑ Verified by User:AmethystViper on 2020-02-22
- Can confirm this fix is able to skip the intro splash screens and videos without crashing the game.
- ↑ Racer_S Hacks | WSGF
- ↑ [REQ] Provide Controller config for Silent hill 2+3 · Issue #191 · ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack - last accessed on 2017-01-21
- ↑ Verified by User:SavvyKat on 2018-10-13
- Tested options for the Right Stick to fix issues regarding the need to use the mouse to use search mode to its full potential.
- ↑ If you add SH3 as a non-steam game on steam you can just bind the keyboard keys onto the triggers... - last accessed on 2020-02-19
- ↑ Verified by User:Infogram on 2020-02-19
- XInput Plus had no effect for me, but adding SH3 to steam and binding the triggers to keyboard bindings allowed me to use them in-game.
- ↑ Voice Comparison - last accessed on May 2023
- ↑ New features · Issue #1 · 07151129/sh3proxy