Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut
|Windows||December 2, 2002|
|Perspectives||Cinematic camera, Third-person|
|Themes||Contemporary, Horror, North America|
|Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut||2002|
|Silent Hill 3||2003|
|Silent Hill 4: The Room||2004|
|Silent Hill: Homecoming||2008|
The game was originally released for the PlayStation 2 on September 21, 2001 worldwide. The game later received an extended Director's Cut version on PlayStation 2 as a Greatest Hits re-release, Xbox, and PC, which added a new Born from a Wish scenario, a secret UFO ending, and for the PC version, a quick-save function, real-time weapon swapping, and a movie gallery. The PC version also features improved flashlight lighting like in the Xbox port, however, it also has a number of inaccuracies, missing or downgraded effects, and lower audio and FMV quality than previous versions. It also has compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows and hardware (see here for details).
There has been growing efforts by modders to fix the issues with the PC version, starting with sh2proxy by emoose to address compatibility issues and implement widescreen support for the game. It has since been succeeded by Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, a community-driven project for the PC version that restores features from the original PlayStation 2 version, adds support for HD and widescreen resolutions, improved controller support, and other quality-of-life improvements.
- There are two versions: the North American version and the European Director's Cut version. If the title screen lacks "Director's Cut" on it, it's the North American version. Both versions include the extra scenario Born from a Wish along with an extra UFO ending.
- Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition is a collection of unofficial mods which implement widescreen resolution support, add PlayStation 2 quality audio and fog that were missing from the PC version, improve controller support and much more.
- All improvements in this section are included in the full installation of the Enhanced Edition collection.
- The PC version's FMV videos were re-encoded in Bink format and run at 30FPS instead of 60 on PlayStation 2.
- The FMV Enhancement Pack improves the quality and upscales the resolution of the FMVs.
- The PC version's audio is compressed and lacks detail in comparison to the PlayStation 2 version.
- The Audio Enhancement Pack replaces the PC version's audio files with the original, higher quality PlayStation 2 ones.
- A fix which adds new features and fixes some bugs.
- Do not use this fix if you plan to follow the Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition installation method.
Configuration file(s) location
keyconf.datstores input bindings.
language.inistores language settings.
options.inistores gameplay and volume settings.
settings.inistores video and audio settings.
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition.|
|4K Ultra HD||Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, then set
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, then set
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, then set
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition. For SMAA, set
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|60 FPS||Capped at 30 FPS. See High frame rate.|
|Change the frame rate cap|
; Controls the frame rate limit, but it may cause bugs if increased above 30 FPS. FPSLimit = 60
Change noise effect resolution
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Mouse buttons cannot be remapped with other keys.|
|Mouse input in menus||Not supported in the pause menu.|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||DirectInput only.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition to assign multiple actions to any button.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|XInput-compatible controllers||See Controller support.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|Haptic feedback||DirectInput only. Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition to restore vibration for XInput controllers.|
- Analog triggers and vibration on XInput controllers won't function without workarounds.
|Fix triggers and vibration|
|Separate volume controls||Background music and sound effects.|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.0 output.|
|Mute on focus lost|
- May require DirectSound3D restoration software to restore hardware-accelerated 3D sound functionality on Windows Vista and later. (DSOAL is included in Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition)
- Use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition to restore the language selection in the options menu.
|Arabic||Fan translation, download.|
|Simplified Chinese||Fan translation, download.|
|Polish||Fan translation, download. Includes a widescreen patch.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Fan translation, download. It requires the Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition|
|Russian||Fan translation by «HomeTown.ru / Ashigaru».|
|Spanish||Game is officially translated in Spanish but an improved fan translation is also available, download.|
|Indonesian||Fan translation, download.|
|Turkish||Fan translation, download.|
Music fades randomly and sound loops
- The game can only run stably on a single core.
|Limit the game to one CPU core|
Game hangs at startup
- On Windows 7, having single core affinity enabled through Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition may prevent the game from running.
|Disable SingleCoreAffinity on Windows 7|
Clicking or popping sound effects
Textures appear as solid white surfaces
"Insert a disc" message in the ending
|Direct3D||8.1||For DirectX 9 support, use Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition.|
|Shader Model support||1.4|
|Audio||ADX||Sound files are compressed compared to the PlayStation 2 version. PlayStation 2 quality audio can be restored into the PC version with Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition and installing the Audio Enhancement Pack.|
|Cutscenes||Bink Video||FMVs are compressed and play at 29.97 full frames per second (29.97p), compared to the PlayStation 2 version which plays them at 59.94 half frames per second (29.97i). The quality of the PC version's FMVs can be improved by using the Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition mod and installing the FMV Enhancement Pack.|
- This replaces the original voice acting with the new voices from the Silent Hill HD Collection release.
- The HD Voice Pack includes and integrates the Audio Enhancement Pack and FMV Enhancement Pack for its audio improvements.
- The HD Collection voices are very divisive and often considered to be inferior to the original voice acting.
Make James run without slowing down
|Apply unlimited stamina-hack|
Disable background fog
Add icon to executable file
sh2pc.exemay have no icon set by default.
|Set icon with Rcedit|
|Operating system (OS)||98, 2000, ME, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||AMD Athlon 700 MHz
Intel Pentium 700 MHz
|AMD Athlon 1 GHz
Intel Pentium 1 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||64 MB||128 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||1.8 GB||2.3 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 32 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 8.1 compatible
|64 MB of VRAM|
- DF Retro: Silent Hill 2 - Horror Perfected on PS2/Xbox/PC/PS3 - YouTube - last accessed on 2020-11-01
- Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition - Installation Guide
- DF Retro: Silent Hill 2 - Horror Perfected on PS2/Xbox/PC/PS3
- Silent Hill 2 Sound Comparison (PC vs PS2) - YouTube
- Silent Hill 2 FPS won't increase beyond 30 FPS · Issue #826 · ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack
- Side effects playing the game at 60 FPS · Issue #28 · elishacloud/Silent-Hill-2-Enhancements
- Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition - Configuration Examples
- Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition - Update Video #3 - YouTube
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Troubleshooting · AeroWidescreen/NFS-SH-WidescreenFixWiki Wiki
- Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition - Configuration Details
- Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition - Installation Guide
- Silent Hill 2 Director's Cut PC Ending Troubles : silenthill
- Voice Comparison
- Silent Hill 2 stamina fix · Issue #344 · ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack
- DxWnd / Discussion / General Discussion:Silent Hill 2: no sound on alt-tab
- SH2 Options/Inventory Font Resolution · Issue #375 · ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack