|North America||Gathering of Developers|
|Windows||October 31, 1999|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see Availability for affected versions).
|Blair Witch Volume 1: Rustin Parr||2000|
|Blair Witch Volume 2: The Legend of Coffin Rock||2000|
|Blair Witch Volume 3: The Elly Kedward Tale||2000|
- Nocturne Editor is available for download here.
- Blair Witch Volume 1: Rustin Parr is a sequel to Nocturne, set before the events in the final episode Epilogue.
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
- This game is not available digitally.
- Several demos are available here.
- Latest patch is Nocturne Patch 2 (Build 1.00.52).
Peixoto's patch forced resolution allows high resolution without shrinking the HUD\menus. Super sampling anti aliasing is also possible
- On modern systems this game may crash on startup, dgVoodoo 2 fixes this issue and can also be used to force higher resolutions, anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.
- Bilinear blit stretch makes the pre-rendered backgrounds less pixelated on higher resolutions.
|Increasing HUD and subtitle size|
Skip intro videos
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||In software mode resolutions up to 640x480 are available, in hardware mode up to 1280x1024. Menus remain 640x480. See dgVoodoo 2 for higher resolutions. In widescreen resolutions the game is stretched.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Use dgVoodoo 2. In DirectX tab under Behavior disable Application controlled windows/fullscreen state and Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state, then in game press Alt+↵ Enter.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Force using dgVoodoo 2.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Use dgVoodoo 2 to force MSAA.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Enabled by default in hardware mode, but only during gameplay. Force using dgVoodoo 2 to enable it in the menus too.|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||Framerate is uncapped in software mode, but causes clothes physics to speed up.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus||Only some secondary menus accept mouse input.|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Sound effects, dialogue and music.|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.0 with Creative ALchemy|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Some transitions between menu screens are very slow and sometimes it can take several seconds for the menus to respond to input.
Game crashes on launch
|Use dgVoodoo 2|
System RAM and swap disk space warning
- When launching the game two warning messages are displayed about 0.0MB of system RAM and 0.0MB of free swap disk space. These can be ignored or the game can be run in Windows 98 compatibility mode to avoid these messages from appearing.
|Turning on Windows 98 compatibility mode|
Game crashes after loading a level
- After loading a level the game crashes with a DirectX 6 3D driver error: D3DERR_ELIFINO: An unknown D3D error occured.
|Install the latest patch|
Intro video not being rendered
- When starting the game the intro video plays, but only sound can be heard, the video itself is not rendered. This happens because of the Indeo codec which is not included in the newest versions of Windows.
|Install the missing Indeo codec|
On Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, the Indeo video codec is integrated in the system but not registered. Open a command prompt ("Start" -> "Run..." -> type "cmd" or "command", click "OK") and execute the following commands :
Note : Using dgVoodoo 2 (DDraw.dll) (to fix crashes and get higher resolutions) will not render the intro video, that's because Nocturne uses GDI for the intro video instead of DirectX.
Note 2 : Use this DDraw.dll file, it will render the intro video and you can select higher resolutions in the video options.
|Direct3D||5, 6, 7|
|Operating system (OS)||95, 98||NT 4.0, 2000|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium MMX 233 MHz
AMD K6 233 MHz
|Intel Pentium II 400 MHz or Higher
Intel Celeron, Pentium III
AMD Athlon 500 Mhz or Higher
|System memory (RAM)||64 MB (96 MB for 3D hardware acceleration)||128 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||500 MB||1 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| |
8 MB of VRAM
DirectX 5 compatible
ATI Rage 128
AGP Video Port required
DirectX 6 compatible
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Verified by User:Antrad on November 6, 2017
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Information taken from the game manual.