Heroes of Might and Magic IV
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|New World Computing|
|Mac OS (Classic)||Contraband Entertainment|
|Retail re-releases, digital||Ubisoft|
|Windows||March 28, 2002|
|Mac OS (Classic)||November 15, 2002|
|Perspectives||Bird's-eye view, Isometric|
|Series||Heroes of Might and Magic|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
DLC and expansion packs
|The Gathering Storm|
|Winds of War|
- The latest patch for all versions is 3.0. The retail version of Winds of War and Complete Edition is already 3.0.
- Mirrors for the base game are here.
- Mirrors for The Gathering Storm are here.
- Mirrors for Czech- and Russian-specific Winds of War localization fixes are here.
- Changes the graphics renderer, fixes the lag and crash when entering a battle, allows higher resolutions along with 32-bit color support and windowed mode. Originally they were separate, but as of version 1.50 of the GL Wrapper, they are combined in a single download.
This mod improves the game by fixing bugs, improving the game balance and adding new campaigns. Once installed, it will create a file that allows for playing the original game, without reinstalling it.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\New World Computing\Heroes of Might and Magic IV
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Wow6432Node\New World Computing\Heroes of Might and Magic IV\1.0[Note 2]
|Mac OS (Classic)|
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||See #HoMM4 Resolution Mod with GL Wrapper by Verok|
|Ultra-widescreen||See #HoMM4 Resolution Mod with GL Wrapper by Verok|
|4K Ultra HD||See #HoMM4 Resolution Mod with GL Wrapper by Verok|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Doesn't work at 1280x1024.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls||Music and effects.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Czech||Local retail version only.|
|Russian||Local retail version only. Patch for digital version|
|Local play||4||Hot seat
|Online play||GameSpy services have been shut down; see GameSpy for workarounds.|
|Audio||Miles Sound System|
|Operating system (OS)||95||98, ME, 2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium II 400 MHz||450 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||64 MB||256 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|
|Video card (GPU)|| 16 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 8 compatible
|DirectX 9 compatible|
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- When running this game without Administrator elevation, 32-bit programs writing to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWAREwill be redirected to
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Product Info: Heroes of Might & Magic IV
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Pricing | GameSpy Technology