Azure Striker Gunvolt
|Windows||August 28, 2015|
|Perspectives||Scrolling, Side view|
|Genres||Action, Platform, Shooter|
|Themes||Cyberpunk, Sci-fi, Supernatural|
|Azure Striker Gunvolt||2015|
|Mighty Gunvolt Burst||2019|
|Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX||2019|
|Azure Striker Gunvolt 2||2020|
Azure Striker Gunvolt is an anime action platforming game developed by Inti Creates. It is the spiritual successor to the Mega Man Zero sub-series in the Mega Man franchise and the company's first independent title.
The game was initially developed for the Nintendo 3DS as a downloadable eShop title, however, its overseas version received a number of cut story elements and removed most of the game's voice-acting. A Steam version, released on August 28, 2015, was initially released to combat this issue with the 3DS version while adding some additional modes, however, at the time of its release the PC port was mostly a direct port of the 3DS version, complete with dual simulated screens and some actions requiring input from the mouse to use the clickable bottom screen. The initial localization issue in the 3DS version was later circumvented with a patch, and the game later received an updated compilation re-release with its sequel on the Nintendo Switch as the Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack in 2017. The PC version would eventually get a similar update from the Nintendo Switch port with Build 2765014 on May 11, 2018. It does, however, retain the lower resolution art assets and the reversed Confirm/Cancel button layout from the initial PC port; see Widescreen resolution and Input settings for more information. Some of the PC version's non-Japanese localizations are still based on the cutdown versions from the 3DS.
DLC and expansion packs
|AZURE STRIKER GUNVOLT OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK||The game's original soundtrack. Contains 42 pieces of music in MP3 format.|
|AZURE PHOSPHORESCENCE||Extra vocal tracks from the game. Contains 8 pieces of music in MP3 format.|
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/388800/pfx/[Note 2]|
Save game data location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/388800/pfx/[Note 2]|
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||2D game.|
|Windowed||1024x576, 1280x720 or 1920x1080 only.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Borderless Gaming. The launcher window will be stretched, however the game window will confine itself to the selected resolution.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||In-game V-sync however may cause frame-rate issues. See Very low frame-rate.|
|60 FPS||Frame rate cap has been raised to 60 FPS as of Build 2765014.|
- Build 2765014 features support for 16:9 widescreen and the menus all fit in a single screen similarly to the Nintendo Switch port.
- Some assets are directly ported from 3DS version while others are remade in much higher resolution. Some pixel artwork assets are upscaled using bilinear filtering. See in-game general screenshot for demonstration, where buttons and text on sides are higher quality than the rest of the assets. Build 2765014 also does not include the higher quality art assets from the Switch version.
- Xbox/Nintendo button prompts are always shown with keyboard prompts for special skills only.
- Esc is used to instantly close the game in fullscreen mode, while a confirm prompt appears for windowed mode.
- Controller uses Japanese style/Nintendo layout where secondary button (DualShock O, Xbox B) is used as an confirmation while primary button (DualShock X, Xbox A) as cancel.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Added with Build 795287. Buttons are bound into controller buttons. Skill activation keys are bound to F1-F4 and cannot be remapped.|
|Mouse acceleration||Mouse not used in game.|
|Mouse input in menus||The screen is no longer clickable due to the game being resigned for a single screen.|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||DirectInput only. Remove/disable all DirectInput controllers to use XInput compatible controller.|
|Full controller support||Quitting the game requires Esc or Alt+F4.|
|Controller remapping||Both launcher (bind controller buttons into Xbox 360 controller buttons) and in-game (change buttons in game action).|
|Controller sensitivity||Digital movement.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Xbox button prompts||Prompts however do not reflect on remapped bindings configured from the launcher.|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers||Game recognizes DualShock 4 controllers as generic DirectInput controllers. Use DS4Windows or Steam Input as a workaround.|
|DualShock button prompts|
|Light bar support|
|Connection modes||Bluetooth, wired
V2 controller tested.
|Haptic feedback||Lacks vibration feedback features from the console versions.|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Audio is stero.|
|Subtitles||Can be toggled in some circumstances with a button when Japanese Voice Mode is enabled.|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Most localization options besides English (Japanese Voice Mode), Japanese, Korean, and Traditional Chinese are missing nearly all of cutscene dialogue and voice-overs similarly to the 3DS version (pre-v1.3).
|English||English and English (Japanese Voice Mode) uses different text localizations and the former is missing most of the cutscene dialogue. The latter option is recommended.|
|Japanese||Fully-voiced cutscene dialogue are only available in English (Japanese Voice Mode), Japanese, Korean, and Traditional Chinese.|
Game does not launch in Steam Offline Mode
- The game will run in the background but will not actually play or even show the configuration launcher if the game is being played when Steam is set of Offline. This issue has not been officially fixed.
Very low framerate
- This should have been dealt with update Build 756226 and Build 760608. Developer suggests turning off Vsync if the issue remains. Alternatively, force Vsync externally from your GPU's respective control panel instead.
Game process running in background after closing the game
- The game would remain running in the background despite closing the game down. This issue should be addressed with Build 2770885.
|Shader Model support||3.0|
|Operating system (OS)||XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10|
|Processor (CPU)||2 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||2 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce
512 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|Other||Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller|
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/388800/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (388800) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Steam Community :: Group announcements :: Azure Striker Gunvolt - Azure Striker Gunvolt Update (Build 2765014) - last accessed on May 12, 2018
- Fix Azure Striker Gunvolt - Steam Community Discussions - last accessed on 2019-12-01
- Game does not start even in Online mode - Steam Community Discussions - last accessed on 2019-12-01
- Verified by User:AmethystViper on 2019-12-01
- Tested Steam Offline Mode with Build 2814291 and the game's process runs in the background, but the game does not actually play, much less opens the configuration launcher, after running the game in Steam while set to offline.
- Verified by User:AmethystViper on Decemember 10, 2016
- Tested Borderless Gaming on the game, and despite the initial launcher being stretched, the game window rendered properly running in the native desktop resolution.
- Verified by User:AmethystViper on January 30, 2017
- Although its possible to swap A and B buttons for better menu controls, not all modes and menus will work with the changes made in the configuration launcher nor changes from in-game Options.
- Steam Community :: Group announcements :: Azure Striker Gunvolt - Azure Striker Gunvolt Steam Ver. September Update (Build 795287) - last accessed on December 10, 2016
- Verified by User:AmethystViper on 2020-08-22
- AZURE STRIKER GUNVOLT VER. 1.3 PATCH ADDS JAPANESE VOICE MODE TO 3DS DIGITAL VERSION - Inti Creates - last accessed on 2020-08-22
- "For those of you who are not familiar with Japanese Voice Mode, this was a mode that we created for Azure Striker Gunvolt 1 that adds in content that was regrettably removed from the initial release of the 3DS version of the game. Not only does this patch restore the voices to each and every one of the characters, but the entire game has been re-localized to better match with the addition of these voices."
- Steam Community :: Group announcements :: Azure Striker Gunvolt - Azure Striker Gunvolt Updated (Build 756226) - last accessed on December 10, 2016
- Steam Community :: Group announcements :: Azure Striker Gunvolt - Azure Striker Gunvolt Updated (Build 760608) - last accessed on December 10, 2016
- Steam Community :: Group announcements :: Azure Striker Gunvolt - Azure Striker Gunvolt Updated (Build 2770885) - last accessed on May 14, 2018