|Windows||July 17, 2001|
|Controls||Multiple select, Point and select|
|Subseries of BattleTech|
- Re-released as a free download as part of the Shared Source Release.
- Includes a game editor.
- BattleTech Wiki - A massive wiki for everything BattleTech related
- Mechcommander 2 on TheGameEngine.org - solving some technical issues.
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
The Microsoft MechCommander 2 Shared Source Release includes the full game in its
FinalBuild folder. The game is
Mc2Rel.exe and the editor is
- This version of the game will be missing cinematics such as intro and ending videos and video mission briefings.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||4:3 and 5:4 resolutions only.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Toggle with Alt+↵ Enter.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||No frame rate cap.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls||Music, Sound Effects, Radio Chatter, Computer Message.|
|Mute on focus lost|
Missing mouse cursor
Disable Hardware Mouse Update under Graphics. The cursor will then become visible again.
Mouse cursor trails in Encyclopedia
Launch the Encyclopedia from within the game instead of directly; the mouse cursor will then display normally.
Very poor performance, blocky textures, grey colors / distortion, poor particle effects
Delete any copies of the files
badcard.csv in your MC2 folder.
|Operating system (OS)||98, ME, 2000|
|Processor (CPU)||266 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||64 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||400 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| SVGA 2D video card
8 MB of VRAM
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 or Windows 11 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16