|Windows||March 26, 1997|
- The "servers" source code (Anet) was made open source in 2002.
- Game lacks an FPS limiter and cause stuttering, physics and enemy AI problems at frame rates higher than 30 FPS.See High frame rate.
- Game uses obsolete protocols/methods for multiplayer. Internet play requires a direct connection to the internet whilst LAN requires an IPX emulator. See Network for workarounds.
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- interstate76.com Fan site with tips, tricks and mods.
- Local Ditch Gaming Source for tips.
|GOG.com|| The Interstate '76 Arsenal edition.
Includes both the Nitro Pack expansion and Gold update.
- A later version known as the "Gold Edition" was released which improved the graphics on the original game. It also came fully updated (version 1.2).
- Interstate '76 was once bundled with Microsoft's Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro controller line up under the name "Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro Edition" (version 1.06). These copies often were bundled with graphics and computer manufacturer's hardware.
DLC and expansion packs
|Nitro Pack|| DLC is a standalone program and does not require the original game.
Also known as Nitro Riders in some territories.
You can find updates to the original retail, including the Gold edition patch, here.
Note the GOG.com version is fully updated, thus these are unnecessary if purchased from there.
Nitro also has a Patch I & II, though these were only ever beta. Instead use the Unofficial Nitro Patch IV.
Configuration file(s) location
input.mapfor keyboard bindings
gamekey.deffor additional bindings (not changeable through game dialogue)
internet.lstfor server list
modem.inifor modem configuration
user.melfor multiplayer configuration
reconfig.spcfor car loadout
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||4:3 resolutions only. Higher 4:3 resolutions can be forced for the Glide or Direct3D mode by using a wrapper such as dgVoodoo 2 (this does not change the aspect ratio, so widescreen resolutions will be stretched from 4:3).|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||For software, a windowed mode can be activated by using the
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||See High frame rate.|
- Frame rates higher than 30 FPS (24 FPS in some cases actually) cause stuttering, physics and enemy AI problems.
- Force a frame cap in your graphics card control panel.
- Nitro Pack users can get around this by using the NITRO.EXE-30FPS PATCH.
- A similar patch for the base i76 game (GOG.com only) by user immi can be found here.
- Versions of his patch that limit frame rate further can be found here.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Haptic feedback||See also Enabling force feedback on the Gold Edition.|
Enabling force feedback on the Gold Edition
|Separate volume controls||CD Music, SFX, and Voice.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||A3D 1.0|
|Red Book CD audio||On Windows, CD music might not play correctly; see the troubleshooting guide for solutions.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Retail: Interestadual 76.|
Uses old IPX protocol which is no longer supported on modern Windows. See IPX protocol deprecated for more. Could also try a Null-Modem emulator though this would be presumably slower.
Requires a direct internet connection (cannot be behind a router). Can be bypassed by using a tunneling program such as Tunngle. Nitro Pack users can get around this by using the Unofficial Nitro Pack Patch. GOG users should grab the version from here instead (no cd-check). A similar, though less robust, patch for the base i76 game can also be found in the later link.
Corrupt graphics on Windows Vista and Windows 7
|Use palette fix|
- Open up the file database.mw2 (.tvf in Nitro) in a hex editor and find the last two "RIFF" extensions. Change them to something else, such as "PIFF". Alternatively, download this (or this for Nitro) pre-patched version.
- Disable hardware acceleration for audio devices or disable sound in game.
Won't install on 64-bit systems
- A German website has a custom installer here. It also includes and installs the patches, up to the Gold Edition.
- The setup.exe wont run on 64-bit computers due to the fact that 16-bit compatibility and DOS support was removed from theses versions. Luckily the files on disk are not compresses and can merely be copied over.
|Installing the game (retail only)|
REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\I76.exe] "(Default)"="C:\Program Files\Activision\Interstate76\I76.exe" "Path"="C:\Program Files\Activision\Interstate76" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Activision] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Activision\Interstate '76] "EXE"="i76.exe [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Activision\Interstate '76\1.06]
- This is a bug in some glide wrappers. Reduce the texture memory to 2MB to get around this.
- If you are running a real VooDoo card, add the following to a batch file followed by the game's executable:
SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2 nitro.exe
Game crashes after mission 12
|Official response from Activision rep:|
"This problem can be fixed by retrieving the I76shell.dll from the 1.06 or 1.08 patch for the original I76 W95. Do not install the 1.06 patch to the Gold Edition! It will crash. Instead, extract the 1.06 patch to a new folder. Copy the I76shell.dll file to the Gold Edition directory. Only 1 file will be replaced.
I tested Gold i76 using the i76shell.dll file from the 1.083 patch. It worked! I was able to get into the 13th level without a page fault crash. Be sure to back up the original .dll file though before doing this. The Gold edition will crash on Instant Melees with 1.08 .dll file installed. I would only use the 1.08 file temporarily for the purpose of gaining access to the 13th level."
@echo off if exist I76shell.bak goto error ren I76shell.dll I76shell.bak ren I76shell_1083.dll I76shell.dll goto fix :error echo Mission 13 Fix already enabled! If you are experiencing crashes in echo melee or other single player missions, run RevertM13.bat instead. pause goto end :fix echo Mission 13 Fix enabled. Run RevertM13.bat to disable. pause goto end :end
@echo off if exist I76shell_1083.dll goto error ren I76shell.dll I76shell_1083.dll ren I76shell.bak I76shell.dll goto fix :error echo Mission 13 Fix NOT enabled! If you are experiencing crashes in echo mission 13, run EnableM13.bat instead. pause goto end :fix echo Mission 13 Fix reverted. Run EnableM13.bat to re-patch. pause goto end :end
Unhandled exception error
|Run as administrator|
|Run in compatibility mode|
|Disable display scaling on high DPI settings|
|Restrict game to one core|
See Force CPU affinity.
|Direct3D||Launch the game with the
|DirectDraw||Only used for main menu. D3D or Glide are used for actual gameplay.|
|OpenGL||PowerVR only (MiniGL). Launch the game with the
|Glide||1.0||Requires wrapper, such as nGlide, to work on modern systems. Launch the game with the "-glide" parameter.|
|Windows||Setup.exe is 16-bit.|
|Audio||WinMM||For music only. GOG.com version uses a wrapper.|
|Cutscenes||Smacker Video||Cutscenes remain on disk in the retail version.|
|Operating system (OS)||95||98|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 90 MHz||Intel Pentium 133 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||16 MB||32 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||75 MB||130 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| SVGA |
1 MB of VRAM
|VooDoo 3DFX or equivalent
2 MB of VRAM
- I'76 Arsenal - Activision.com (retrieved)
- Aureal A3D Central - 3D Sound Software list
- Interstate '76 Arsenal crashes (privileged instructions used in attempt to measure the CPU speed) - WineHQ Bugzilla