Emperor: Battle for Dune
|Windows||June 12, 2001|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see Availability for affected versions).
|Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty||1992|
|Emperor: Battle for Dune||2001|
|Frank Herbert's Dune||2001|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
- Patch 1.09 updates the game to the latest version.
Skip intro videos
|Delete/rename video files|
Delete or rename the file
Lag fix in Windows 8/10
|Follow the procedure|
The game lags terribly in modern operating systems, such as Windows 8 and 10. In order to fix this, you have to use "dgVoodoo 2" by Dege. Follow the instructions in this video (Dark Ruler fix). The game will now run at 60 FPS in Windows 8 and 10. (Note: the program may be detected as malware; the developer of the program (Dege) asserts that it's merely a false positive).
Playing without the CD
|Follow the procedure|
CD1 .\data\ CD2 X:\ CD3 X:\ CD4 X:\
8. Replace the letter
CD1 .\data\ CD2 .\CD2\ CD3 .\CD3\ CD4 .\CD4\
9. Save the file and run the game.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Forcing a resolution other than 4:3 results in a cropped screen. See the WSGF entry.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Use dgVoodoo 2|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Can be forced in video card's Control Panel or by using dgVoodoo 2.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||UI animations are framerate dependent and seem to be intended for 30 FPS, playing twice as fast as they should at 60 FPS and four times as fast at 120 FPS.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Music, Sound and Voice|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Operating system (OS)||95||98, 2000, ME|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium II 400 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||64 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||600 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 16 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 7 compatible
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- When running this game without Administrator elevation, 32-bit programs writing to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWAREwill be redirected to
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16