Beneath a Steel Sky
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Retail re-release||Sold Out Software|
|Windows (ScummVM)||December 18, 2008|
|macOS (OS X) (ScummVM)||October 18, 2012|
|Windows (DOSBox)||April 7, 2013|
|Linux (ScummVM)||March 20, 2015|
|Controls||Point and select|
|Beneath a Steel Sky||1994|
|Beyond a Steel Sky||2020|
- Can easily be run on modern systems with ScummVM.
- Developer Discord server
- Game Nostalgia - Detailed game information, developer interviews and game-related media
- GOG.com Community Discussions
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
|Retail||Available on floppy disk (manual-based copy protection) or CD (no DRM). The CD-ROM version has full voice acting and a substantial introduction sequence.|
|GOG.com||Pre-packaged with ScummVM.|
|Steam||Pre-packaged with ScummVM.|
- All of the prepackaged versions use the CD release.
- The data files are available for free from the ScummVM website.
|Freeware||Originally sold commercially, but now completely free to own.|
|Sponsored||A Foster's Lager label is shown during the CD-ROM introduction. It is the eponym of the protagonist's surname "Foster".|
Running the game through ScummVM
- Just use the prepackaged versions if you want the CD release.
|Playing the game with ScummVM|
- Original game soundtrack in MIDI format, rearranged and re-recorded using modern studio equipment
- Requires ScummVM 1.4.2 or later (the ScummVM versions included with the GOG & Steam releases will work).
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||<path-to-game>\beneath.ini[Note 1]<path-to-game> (mounted in DOSBox)[Note 2]|
|macOS (OS X)|
- It's unknown whether this game follows the XDG Base Directory Specification on Linux. Please fill in this information.
Save game data location
<path-to-game> (mounted in DOSBox)[Note 2]
|macOS (OS X)||$HOME/Documents/ScummVM Savegames/Beneath a Steel Sky|
- DOS savegames are labelled
SKY.???, where ??? represents a number between 000 and 999. Savegame descriptions are stored in
- ScummVM 2.1+ supports cloud saves on third-party cloud storage services. See the ScummVM documentation for details.
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||For DOSBox toggle with Alt+↵ Enter (see the glossary page for other workarounds).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||For DOSBox use an unofficial build (see the glossary page for other workarounds).|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||For DOSBox use the DOSBox Mapper (see the glossary page for other workarounds).|
|Mouse sensitivity||For DOSBox set in the DOSBox configuration file.|
|Mouse input in menus||Menu can be open with F5|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||For DOSBox use the DOSBox Mapper (see the glossary page for other workarounds).|
|Separate volume controls||Speech and FX have only an on/off toggle. Music can be adjusted with a slider.
Use ScummVM for Speech and SFX sliders.
|Surround sound||Uses MIDI driver.|
|Subtitles||Menu can be accessed through F5. Not subtitles in the intro cutscene.|
|Mute on focus lost||For DOSBox change the
|Royalty free audio|
|General MIDI audio||Use ScummVM.|
- This game supports the Roland MT-32 for music, and takes advantage of the additional sound effects provided by the CM-32L/LAPC-I.[Note 3]
- While this game has very few native settings, it can run on ScummVM which adds some additional settings.
|English||Speech in CD version only.|
|Traditional Chinese||Retail only.|
|Polish||Fan translation, download.|
|Portuguese||Available in the GoG release. Mistaken as Brazilian Portuguese.|
|Russian||Fan translation by «Бюро переводов Old-Games.Ru», ScummVM-build and localization files|
|DOS video modes||VGA||320x200|
|Operating system (OS)||3.30|
|System memory (RAM)||2 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||10 MB (floppy)
93 MB (CD)
|Video card (GPU)||VGA 256-color|
|Sound (audio device)||Supports Roland, Sound Blaster, and Ad Lib cards|
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10|
|Processor (CPU)||1.0 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||87 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||DirectX 9.0c compatible|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Operating system (OS)||10.6.8|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||78 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||64 MB of VRAM|
|Operating system (OS)||Ubuntu 14.04, Linux Mint 17|
|Processor (CPU)||1.0 GHz||1.4 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|
|Video card (GPU)||128 MB of VRAM|
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- File/folder structure within the installation folder reflects the path(s) listed for DOS game data. For the GOG.com release, file changes in DOSBox are redirected to
<path-to-game>/cloud_saves/even if GOG Galaxy is not used (this folder contains all redirected files, so some files in the
cloud_savesfolder might be temporary files or other files that do not contain saves or settings).
- ScummVM adds proper General MIDI support.
- Free games: Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress - GOG.com - last accessed on May 2023
- GOG launches Mac support, 50 games available now - last accessed on May 2023
- "The "what did just update?" thread" post #709 - last accessed on 9 June 2023
- "The "what did just update?" thread" post #6577 - last accessed on 9 June 2023
- Verified by User:Baronsmoki on 2021-06-29
- Wikipedia - Beneath a Steel Sky - last accessed on 2021-06-29
- "...they name him Robert Foster, partly due to him being fostered by them, but also because of the discovery of an empty can of Foster's Lager found near the crash site."