King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
|Windows||November 30, 1998|
- Poor compatibility with modern systems
- Sierra Help Pages - King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
- King's Quest Omnipedia - A huge wiki for the King's Quest series
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
|Retail||Improved Mask of Eternity installer is highly recommended.|
|GOG.com||Updated for compatibility with modern systems and pre-configured with nGlide. Comes bundled with King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride.|
- The GOG.com release still has compatibility issues and bugs, even with the added patches
Improved Mask of Eternity installer
- For the retail version only. It will not work with the GOG.com release
A custom installer for the game, it provides modern Windows compatibility, netbook support, improved load times, and various bug fixes.
It can be found on the Sierra Help Pages Forums.
KQMoE Shim (kqmoefix)
The King's Quest: Mask of Eternity - Shim is a run-time patch that has been developed to workaround the infamous TalkComplete bug (random cutscene freeze), a lot of compatibility issues, and some annoyances.
All known demos, retail versions (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Brazilian), and the GOG.com release have been tested on Windows 95..10 and Wine 1.8.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Maximum native resolution available is 800x600. Use nGlide for higher resolutions (pillarboxed/stretched 4:3).|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Use nGlide.|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
Game crashes on startup
|Adding modern Windows compatibility|
1. Download and install Zeckenseck's Glide Wrapper.
2. Using Notepad, create a text file titled
KING'S QUEST MASK of ETERNITY Install Play Sierra Utilities Cancel The King's Quest: Mask of Eternity CD was not found. Please check your CD drive and restart the game. Allocating Textures. Please wait... Please wait Microsoft Direct Draw You must be running in 256 color mode or higher. You can change the color depth from the control panel display icon.
3. Take the file created in Step 2 and add it to the installation folder.
4. While in the installation folder, open the
5. Launch the game
6. Before starting a new game, go the options menu and change the graphics settings to the following:
Graphics Mode->3Dfx Graphics Resolution->800x600 Dynamic Lighting->Off Connor Shadows->Off Monster Shadows->Off Character Shadows->Off Object Shadows->Off
7. Start a new game!
NOTE: If the above graphics settings work fine when launching a new game, try turning on graphics settings to improve the quality.
|Operating system (OS)||95||98|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 166 MHz||Intel Pentium II 266 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||32 MB||64 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||400 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||DirectX 5 compatible|