Troubleshooting guide/Startup and launching problems
- Try verifying the integrity of the game files (GOG Galaxy, Origin, Steam, Ubisoft Connect).
- If the game is installed in a Storage Space, try installing it on a traditional partition instead.
- For N and KN versions of Windows, install the Media Feature Pack (XP/Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10).
- 1 Error message on launch
- 1.1 Windows
- 1.1.1 DLL is missing from your computer
- 1.1.2 This app can't run on your PC
- 1.1.3 Access Denied - Please login with administrator privileges and try again
- 1.1.4 StarForce Protection driver blocked due to incompatibility
- 1.1.5 Tages Protection driver is blocked due to compatibility issues
- 1.1.6 A required security module cannot be activated. This program cannot be executed (8016)
- 1.1.7 DirectPlay games do not work or prompt for DirectPlay feature/DLL
- 1.1.8 256 color error message
- 1.2 macOS/OS X
- 1.1 Windows
- 2 Game closes when launched (no error message)
- 3 Game switches to windowed mode or minimises when launched
- 4 References
Error message on launch
DLL is missing from your computer
- Install the latest DirectX End-User Runtime.
- Some .dll files have different names on Windows Vista and later.
|Copy DLL to folder|
- The following gaming-related DLLs are not included with Windows Vista and later. Download them manually to fix the error. Can be dropped in system32 directory (for 32 bit Windows) or SysWOW64 directory (for 64 bit Windows) to regain system-wide support.
- Direct3D Retained Mode DLL (d3drm.dll)
- Microsoft DirectX for Visual Basic (dx7vb.dll)
- Microsoft DirectX for Visual Basic (dx8vb.dll)
- Microsoft DirectInput Mapper (dimap.dll and diactfrm.dll)
- DSP Group TrueSpeech codec (tsd32.dll)
- Microsoft WinG (wing.dll, wing32.dll, wingde.dll, wingdib.drv and wngpal.wnd) - (actually missing since Win98SE)
wmvcore.dllerrors on N and KN versions of Windows, install the Media Feature Pack (XP/Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10).
- Some games may prompt for other DLLs; refer to the individual game pages for installation instructions.
This app can't run on your PC
- See Installation and download problems for solutions.
Access Denied - Please login with administrator privileges and try again
- Retail games using SafeDisc copy protection do not work due to
SECDRV.SYSsupport being disabled on Windows 10 and also by the MS15-097 update for Windows Vista and later. Any versions sold digitally are not affected.
- Some games have SafeDisc removed in a later patch (refer to the individual game pages for details). Protected games can be played on Windows 8.1 and earlier with the workaround covered on MS15-097 (this method does not work on Windows 10).
StarForce Protection driver blocked due to incompatibility
- Older versions of StarForce are not compatible with newer versions of Windows. Supported versions can be updated with SFUPDATE. See StarForce support for further details.
Tages Protection driver is blocked due to compatibility issues
A required security module cannot be activated. This program cannot be executed (8016)
- This SecuROM DRM issue occurs on Windows 10 systems with an Intel Skylake CPU. Some games have been patched to fix this issue. This problem can also be solved by updating the BIOS (if available).
DirectPlay games do not work or prompt for DirectPlay feature/DLL
- DirectPlay is disabled by default on Windows 8 and later due to this feature being deprecated.
256 color error message
|Set compatibility mode|
PowerPC applications are no longer supported
- The PowerPC translator (Rosetta) is not available on OS X 10.7 (Lion) and later. Some developers have released patches to make their games work on modern systems.
Classic app does not start
- Classic apps are not supported on Intel-based systems and/or OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or later. Some developers have released patches to make their games work on modern systems.
- If this error occurs on a PowerPC-based system running OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or earlier, ensure Mac OS 9 is installed.
Game closes when launched (no error message)
Install Nvidia PhysX
- Games using Nvidia PhysX will close without any error message if PhysX is missing or not up to date.
|Download missing DLLs|
Install Media Feature Pack (N/KN versions of Windows)
Check error logs
Many games will generate a log file in the installation folder or configuration file location containing details of the error that occurred.
Override localization (Linux)
- Some Linux games expect localized file names in ways that fail on certain languages (e.g. Turkish). This may prevent the game launching or cause other issues. Launching the game from the terminal with the
LC_ALL=Cprefix may work.
Dependencies install at every launch (Steam)
|Delete install VDF and redist folder|
Game switches to windowed mode or minimises when launched
This is usually caused by another program stealing focus, e.g. antivirus (some antivirus programs have a "game mode" that can be used to prevent this). Identify the program, then adjust its settings or disable it. Samsung Magician is known to cause this behaviour.
Games may also switch to windowed mode if an unavailable resolution has been chosen in the game or specified in a configuration file.
- Ubisoft Forums :: SOLUTION: AC games won't launch when installed on Windows Storage Spaces
- SECDRV.SYS Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community
- Windows 10 support - StarForce Support
- When I open Crysis3 , it will show "This program cannot be executed(8016)". - Answer HQ
- IMPORTANT new Bios addressing the 8016 error in Windows 10 is because of Securom DRM does Bios flash Circumvent Microsoft Policy?
- OS X: Application icon has a prohibitory sign, or "PowerPC applications are no longer supported" appears - Apple Support
- Mac OS X: Classic doesn't start, Mac OS 9 not installed or recognized - Apple Support
- Verified by User:Garrett on June 12, 2017
- Localization problems cause launch failures on many Linux games : linux_gaming
- TR Forums • View topic - Samsung Magician Full Screen Bug
- No fullscreen while - Forums - Battlelog / Battlefield 4