Troubleshooting guide/Input problems
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
This page is a stub: it lacks content and/or basic article components. You can help to by adding an image or additional information.
Controller not detected
- For Windows, many games only support XInput controllers (see XInput wrappers for workarounds).
- For Windows, some non-controller devices show up as controllers, e.g. certain Razer products. Open the Device Manager, expand Human Interface Devices, and disable the "HID-compliant game controller" entry for that device.
Constant movement or spinning
- For games using DOSBox, edit the DOSBox configuration file and change
timed=false(if it is already set to this, try
- If you wish to disable certain games from using devices, without unplugging them or otherwise removing them, utilise the devreorder utility to blacklist them from each game.
Button prompts are wrong
- Button prompts may require additional steps even if the game supports prompts for that controller type. Some games only show generic numbers or keyboard keys when using a controller. Refer to the individual game pages for game-specific solutions.
Windows 8.1 and later
- Mouse input is incorrectly scaled: set the application compatibility to Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.
- Mouse pointer stutters or freezes: Use the fixit tool or make a compatibility package with NoDTToDITMouseBatch.
- Problems using keyboard and touchpad simultaneously: see Button clicks for internal touchpads and pointing sticks are not responsive while or shortly after the keyboard is used.
Can't change bindings or bindings lost on game restart
- Many older Windows games (released around 2006 or earlier) require the Microsoft DirectInput Mapper which is not included with Vista due to
IDirectInput8::ConfigureDevicesbeing deprecated. Download it manually to fix the error.
- Those with Xbox360 controller issues read here! *FIXED* :: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition General Discussions
- Mouse input in some games is incorrectly scaled on high-DPI devices
- Mouse pointer stutters or freezes when you play certain games in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
- IDirectInput8::ConfigureDevices Method - Windows Dev Center - Desktop