From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Midway Home Entertainment|
|Next Level Games|
|Windows||June 8, 2004|
|The Suffering: Ties That Bind||2005|
|Retail||SafeDisc v3 DRM[Note 1] or StarForce 3 DRM[Note 2] disc check, depending on region.|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
- StarForce DRM for this game does not work on modern versions of Windows (see above for affected versions).
- Not available for sale on GOG in Germany.
- This game was released as a free download sponsored by the US Air Force.
- It can be downloaded here. Install the AiO Unofficial Patch or The Suffering Widescreen Fix to remove the online DRM.
- Patch 1.1 updates the game to the latest version. GOG.com version is already patched.
- All-in-one patch for The Suffering series which fixes numerous bugs and adds widescreen support.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Use AiO Unofficial Patch or The Suffering Widescreen Fix.|
|Multi-monitor||Use AiO Unofficial Patch or The Suffering Widescreen Fix.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Use AiO Unofficial Patch or The Suffering Widescreen Fix.|
|4K Ultra HD||Use AiO Unofficial Patch or The Suffering Widescreen Fix.|
|Field of view (FOV)||Use AiO Unofficial Patch or The Suffering Widescreen Fix. Settings above 1.2 cause minor visual glitches.|
|Windowed||Set in launcher.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Texture filtering setting only affects close-up texture quality. Cannot be forced.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Set in launcher. Up to 6x MSAA.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|120+ FPS||Frame rates above 60 FPS causes glitches and AI problems.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse sensitivity||Mouse sensitivity can be really high by default, making small adjustments to the aim hard. It is suggested to lower the in game mouse sensitivity and, if needed, to increase the system one.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||You can easily bind your controller to keyboard inputs, see the glossary page for more info.
Character movement is limited to 8 axis and a single speed on the console versions of the game as well so binding a controller to keyboard inputs won't lose any accuracy.
|Separate volume controls||Effects, dialog, music|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.0 output with DirectSound3D restoration software. GOG version comes with IndirectSound wrapper. Creative Alchemy does not support this title, you are able to add it, 3D hardware can be enabled through the RIOT engine setup config, but no EAX effects are available despite what dsoundlog tells you. The Audio sounds identical whether "The Suffering" is enabled through Creative Alchemy or not, this is why Alchemy had an official list of supported titles.|
|Mute on focus lost|
- An option for Environmental FX is included, but no actual reverb is used in the entire game.
|Russian||Official localization by ND Games from retail version.|
|Spanish||Retail only. Download.|
Saves not working
- Caused due to the game having trouble detecting hard drives larger than 2TB.
Use the AiO_Unofficial_Patch
Missing sound effects (Retail)
|Use Creative ALchemy (if you have a Creative Sound Card)|
Use the AiO_Unofficial_Patch
DirectX 8.1 is not installed error
- On Windows 10 you might get this error when launching the game for the first time. Not sure if this error is also applied on Windows 8, if it is here's the steps to fix it .
- Windows 10 1809 or later immediately prompts you to install the directplay components when you start the game
|Enable Direct Play in Legacy Components in the Control Panel|
Run the game at screen refresh rate
- When using The AiO Unofficial Patch, the game will set monitor's refresh rate to 60 Hz when in fullscreen mode.
|Set refresh rate manually|
Glitchy enemies and NPCs AI
- With a frame rate higher than 60, there are many problems with the AI of both monster and human characters. The game is possibly un-finishable due to the risk of certain NPCs not triggering key cutscenes.
|Cap frame rate|
Enable vsync in options game and set monitor to 60hz
Access the launcher
- After the first time launching the game, the launcher won't show up again and you will be unable to configure the settings.
|Use launch parameter|
|Hold Shift while launching|
Microstutter on modern machines
Limit FPS to 64.
User created game profile, (DX9 with official patch) see vorpx forum profile introduction.
|Operating system (OS)||98 SE||ME, 2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz||Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||128 MB||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||2 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 32 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 8.0 compatible
| 64 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- This version of StarForce DRM does not work on Windows Vista or later. For supported versions of Windows the StarForce driver may need to be updated manually using SFUPDATE.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Windows Vista support - StarForce Support
- Windows 7 support - StarForce Support
- Windows 8.1 support - StarForce Support
- Windows 10 support - StarForce Support
- Game Bundle Download Sponsored by Air Force
- Will GOG patch The Suffering from random crashes?
- The Suffering with 3D spatial sound (OpenAL Soft HRTF audio) Freeware Horror game
- Verified by User:Mars icecream on 2017-7-25
- Installing IndirectSound fixed audio issues in the audio options, but I haven't done other comparisons.
- The Suffering Series AiO Unofficial Patch - GOG.com - last accessed on 2020-04-13
- The Suffering Series AiO Patch file - Mod DB
- Verified by User:Mars icecream on 2017-7-28