The Sims Castaway Stories
|macOS (OS X)||Aspyr Media|
|OS X||Aspyr Media|
|The Sims 2 Engine|
|Windows||January 29, 2008|
|macOS (OS X)||March 17, 2008|
- The macOS (OS X) version of this game does not work on macOS Catalina (version 10.15) or later due to the removal of support for 32-bit-only apps.
|The Sims Stories|
|Subseries of The Sims|
|The Sims Life Stories||2007|
|The Sims Pet Stories||2007|
|The Sims Castaway Stories||2008|
- Runs well on low-end hardware, especially laptops.
- This game uses a slightly modified version of the The Sims 2: Seasons engine and most fixes and some mods for it also work here.
- This game has a lower texture quality than The Sims 2.
- Official Website (Yahoo!, archived)
- Official Website (OS X)
- Answer HQ for The Sims series at EA.com
- Answer HQ for The Sims series at EA.com (OS X)
- The Sims Wiki
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims™ Castaway Stories\|
|macOS (OS X)|
- The final folder may have a localized name depending on which language you installed the game
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Multi-monitor||See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Can be forced in driver control panel|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Smooth Edges slider; if the setting are greyed out see Anti-aliasing (AA).|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||On by default. See Vertical sync (Vsync).|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||Frame rates up to 120 FPS have been observed.|
- The game's maximum default resolution is 1600x1200. For higher resolutions you need to edit the following file:
Electronic Arts\The Sims Castaway Stories\TSData\Res\Config\Graphics Rules.sgr
Set maxResWidth and maxResHeight to your display's native width and height, or copy/paste the following:
option ScreenModeResolution setting $Low uintProp maxResWidth 2560 uintProp maxResHeight 1600 uintProp defaultResWidth 800 uintProp defaultResHeight 600 setting $Medium uintProp maxResWidth 2560 uintProp maxResHeight 1600 uintProp defaultResWidth 1024 uintProp defaultResHeight 768 setting $High uintProp maxResWidth 2560 uintProp maxResHeight 1600 uintProp defaultResWidth 1024 uintProp defaultResHeight 768 end
Each of the game's cameras can have their FOV set independently using the fov parameter in their Camera Settings files, which are contained in
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims™ Castaway Stories\Cameras\
- If your "Edge Smoothing" slider is greyed out in-game, then it's likely that the game cannot determine how much VRAM your GPU has and is defaulting to its failsafe of 32 MB.
|Raise amount of fallback value|
- Toggling Vsync can cause the game to hang.
Vsync can only be toggled using the Cheat Console (Ctrl+⇧ Shift+C) and using either the 'vsync off' or 'vsync on' command.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls||Voices, Sound Effects, Music, Ambient and Audio Quality sliders|
|Surround sound||Stereo, 4.0 and 5.1|
|Subtitles||No intelligible dialog. All in-game dialog uses the fictional Simlish language.|
|Mute on focus lost||Game 'forgets' it does not have the focus when leaving loading screens|
|English||Speech is fictional language called Simlish.
Speech is subtitled with generic icons.
Poorly Placed Objects/Frozen Objects
- Periodically, special object may be placed in a bad location, preventing a sim from doing anything. In other cases, a normal object may be improperly tagged as "in use" and cannot be moved, sold, or manipulated.
- This problem can only be fixed with a mod, as
moveobjects oncheat is disabled for this game.
|Use "Stuck Object Remover" mod|
Black Square Under Sim
|Download Sim Shadow Fix|
Low quality neighborhood terrain
|Enable high quality neighborhood terrain|
|macOS (OS X)||32-bit only.|
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista|
|Processor (CPU)||1.8 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB (XP) / 1 GB (Vista)|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||2.9 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon 7500 / Mobility Radeon 7500
Nvidia GeForce2 Series / GeForce Go Series
Supported Non-T&L Cards (e.g. Radeon VE Series and Intel Extreme 82845) require an additional 256 MB of System Memory
32 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|macOS (OS X)|
|Operating system (OS)||10.9.5|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||3 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 8800 series
AMD Radeon HD 3870
Intel HD Graphics 3000
256 MB of VRAM