Test Drive Unlimited
|Windows||March 16, 2007|
|Genres||Open world, Racing|
|Vehicles||Automobile, Motorcycle, Street racing|
|Series||Test Drive Unlimited|
|Test Drive Unlimited|
|Subseries of Test Drive|
|Test Drive Unlimited||2006|
|Test Drive Unlimited 2||2011|
|Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown||2024|
Test Drive Unlimited is an open world racing game in the Test Drive series, and the first entry in the Test Drive Unlimited sub-series. The game allows players to drive a variety of sports cars and motorcycles around a recreation of the Hawaiian island of Oahu that features around 1,000 miles (1,609 km) of roads.
- This game is not available digitally.
DLC and expansion packs
|Megapack||No longer available for purchase.|
- 1.66A is the latest official patch (required for 2.00A, along with Megapack)
- 2.00A (fan-made) is the latest unofficial patch to fix some of the game issues that were not addressed by the last official patch
- Compatibility patch for the Polish version available here.
Skip intro videos
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Up to 4x MSAA.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Enabled by default. Syncs to a higher number than specified.|
|120+ FPS||Exceeding 90 FPS introduces traffic bugs. Set monitor refresh rate to 60 Hz to fix; see Weird traffic behavior.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||Rendered image uses SDR color space. In-game HDR option refers only to HDR Rendering.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support||Keyboard must be used to initially map the controls.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|Tracked motion controllers|
|Haptic feedback||DInput only.|
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX 5.0.|
|Royalty free audio|
|Korean||Language file is in the sound folder, but unselectable during installation or in-game.|
|Polish||Polish retail release only, later re-releases only use Polish subtitles with English voiceovers.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Fan translation; download.|
|Russian||Localization by Akella|
Adding custom music
- MP3 and WAV (44100 Hz 16-bit PCM) formats are supported. M3U files can also be used.
- Windows shortcuts can be used for the desired music.
|Adding custom Radio Stations|
|Add to existing radio stations|
|Online play||8||The official GameSpy service has been shut down on September 29, 2012 use Project Paradise is required to play online after the shutdown of GameSpy.|
Game failing to launch on Windows 8 and higher
|Run the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 and as administrator.|
Game freezes during free roam
|Delete the dynamic advertising database|
Crash on Windows 10
Disable display scaling on high DPI settings in
Weird traffic behavior
- Exceeding 90 FPS introduces traffic bugs: invisible cars, weird spawning, very fast line changes or stopping when the player's car is near.
|Limit the frame rate to 90 FPS with the proper tools|
|Set monitor refresh rate to 60 Hz|
Map event information is not being displayed and is replaced with grey box when using a controller
|Unbind the map controls for the controller in the controls settings|
Installer finishes instantly
- The installer in a Polish release of the game fails to launch properly on Windows Vista and newer.
|Launch the installer with a Transform file attached.|
User created game profile, see vorpx forum profile introduction.
|Tobii Eye Tracking||Works with Tobii EyeX tracker or Tobii EyeX 4C and 5 headtracker plugins for FaceTrackNoIR.|
|Shader Model support||2.0|
|Multiplayer||GameSpy||Shut down in 29 September 2012.
Project Paradise is required to play online after the shutdown of GameSpy.
- New physics, over 880 vehicles, correct color names, dedicated camera for each vehicle, new weather - HDiR compatible, new map textures and new radio stations.
- Optional Russian language.
- Additional toolkit.
- Incompatible with languages other than English, Russian and Polish (for compatibility with the Polish version, download this file).
- Meant to be used with the PS2 menu music.
- Meant to be used with the PS2 UI sounds.
|Operating system (OS)||2000||XP, Vista|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
|Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||512 MB||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||8 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT |
ATI Radeon 9800
256 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|Nvidia GeForce 7600
ATI Radeon X1600
512 MB of VRAM
- Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software - YouTube - last accessed on May 2023
- Test Drive Unlimited - Importing Your Own Music - Post 5| GameFAQs
- Test Drive Unlimited - Importing Your Own Music - Post 2 | GameFAQs
- TDU1 failing to launch. | turboduck Forum
- TDU on Windows 10 - Page 2 | turboduck Forum
- TDU AI fix? | turboduck Forum
- Map information not loading - last accessed on 2020-12-07
- Verified by User:Silent on 2021-04-04
- Audile Applications - last accessed on 17 May 2023