Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
|Studio II Software|
|International until 2020||Deep Silver|
|International as of 2020||THQ Nordic|
|North America||Cdv Software Entertainment|
|Windows||October 2, 2008|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase, Expansion pack|
|Controls||Point and select|
|Sacred 2: Fallen Angel||2008|
The game was released in October 2008 on PC, as well as May 2009 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360; despite this, the PC version never received controller support. However, it was greatly expanded with bug fixes and new content as part of official patches. The PC-exclusive expansion pack, Ice & Blood, was released on August 28, 2009, three days before developer Studio II Software filed for bankruptcy. As the American publisher at the time, CDV Software's US branch, was also in financial problems, the expansion was available only in Europe until the Japanese release on February 25, 2011 and the global Steam release of the Gold Edition on December 22, 2012. Despite these events, the expansion received two patches, the first one specifically optimizing the game for Windows 7 support, among else.
Full global publishing rights were claimed by Deep Silver (label of Koch Media at the time) by the 2010s, which had previously had retail publishing rights in Europe. The rights were transferred to THQ Nordic on May 5, 2020.
On modern systems, the game suffers from frequent crashes, partly due to the flawed implementation of the PhysX middleware, and broken quest triggers. Unofficial community patches have become an essential part of present-day installations, as they fix the vast majority of known issues with the game, leading to a considerably more stable experience, but were only made with Ice & Blood / Gold Edition in mind, as the latter is the most widely available release and the only remaining digital version of the game.
With the Ice & Blood expansion implementing the carrier imp mechanic previously specific to online multiplayer to owners of the base game's Collector's Edition, the only remaining content not available digitally are the enhanced Elite Textures from the same edition (disc 3), although fan-optimized re-releases thereof exist.
The official multiplayer service by TinCat was shut down, but a community-run alternative is available and does not require manual configuration to connect.
- Sacred Tribute - a fansite with archives and resources from the Sacred franchise
- SacredWiki - a community-maintained wiki that also hosts the community patch
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions (Sacred 2 Gold)
- Steam Community Discussions (legacy base game release)
|Retail|| SecuROM 7 and SecuROM PA DRM.
Russian copies use StarForce 5 DRM and its online activation.
|GOG.com||Gold Edition. Updated to version 2.65.1, but not 2.65.2.|
|Green Man Gaming||Gold Edition.|
|Humble Store||Gold Edition.|
|Steam (unavailable)||Fallen Angel only. Community pages still public.|
- A free demo version is available from GamePressure.
- The Gold Edition is a complete edition containing the base game and the Ice and Blood expansion. The English-language version is based off the UK release.
|Expansion pack||The expansion pack includes a new class, areas, quests, and items.|
|One-time game purchase||The game requires an upfront purchase to access.|
DLC and expansion packs
|Ice & Blood||Included in Gold Edition. North American localization was not released, only European and Japanese versions exist.|
- The latest version for Fallen Angel is 2.43, which requires patch 2.40 first. Both are available here.
- The latest versions for Ice & Blood and the Gold Edition are 2.65.1 and the 2.65.2 hotfix. Both are available here.
- Both unofficial patches require the Ice of Blood expansion patched to v2.65.1 or v2.65.2 (both include the latter patch).
- The choice of patch depends on personal preference; applying both on the same installation is not possible.
- Both include crucial bug and crash fixes (including fixes for the broken PhysX implementation), improved game stability, and optional versions which switch the formerly time-exclusive Christmas quest and content.
- Description thread
- Download links: Google Drive, Nexus Mods
- Maintains the original game design without any additions, and only changes balance if necessary to fix bugs.
- Sacred Wiki entry
- Download links: DarkMatters, Patches-Scrolls
- Includes a lot of new items, quests and balance changes. To disable the new items from dropping, a separate vanilla drop mod exists.
- To access the community-run Open Net server (see Online play), the button needs to be re-enabled with this fix.
Skip intro videos
|Delete/rename video file folder|
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%APPDATA%\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/225640/pfx/[Note 1]|
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/225640/pfx/[Note 1]|
|Ultra-widescreen||Possible through editing the OptionsDefault.txt|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||FOV only needs to be edited if playing in Ultra Widescreen.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Off, x2, x4|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||See the glossary page for potential alternatives.|
- The Collectors Edition came with a third disc with Elite textures adding an extra option to the graphics menu for them.
- Deep Silver were happy for people to download these textures but could not supply them. Post from Deep Silver community manager.
- A version optimized by the fans is available here.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Master, Music, Sound Effects and Speech all have separate levels.|
|Surround sound||Speaker modes: 2.0, 4.0, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 8.1.|
|Subtitles||Mission text displayed in dialog boxes, but unique voiced responses are not shown in text.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX 5.0|
|Royalty free audio||Almost all in-game audio is original. The exception is the track "Sacred Worlds" by Blind Guardian, which appears in a cutscene used as its official music video at the end of an Easter egg quest, and in instrumental form as one of the main menu themes.|
|English||Separate UK and US versions for Fallen Angel; UK only for Ice & Blood and Gold Edition.|
|Polish||Retail only. Download available here|
|Online play||The official TinCat service has been shut down; see Online play.|
- A community-made lobby replacement for the Open Net mode is available and does not require extra downloads (other than the latest version of the game). More information is available here, and the source code is available on GitHub.
- All players must have the same version of the game and any mods that the host uses. By default, the community patch is missing the button to access the Open Net; download this fix to restore it.
Steam version crashes on launch
- The Steam version Sacred 2: Gold will crash if launched when the beta client of Steam is installed.
Windows 7 compatibility
- Under Windows 7, Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (2.02 through 2.43) will crash constantly.
- Under Windows 7, Sacred 2: Ice & Blood (release version 2.64.0) will crash constantly.
- There is no official Windows 7 fix for Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. Here is a post on the Steam forum outlining potential steps to getting Sacred 2 to work on Windows 7. However, the only reliable solution is to buy the add-on or the Gold Edition.
- (Pertaining to v2.43 DRM-free German) Game will work only if Windows Aero is turned off.
|Only for Ice & Blood: Install official patch|
Missing in-game UI
- This bug occurs most often if the player switches to and from the map view too quickly.
- Restarting the game does not revert it.
|Switch to the map view again, changing the speed of the switch until the UI reappears|
|Physics||PhysX||Optional setting; buggy feature unless either community patch is used|
|Audio||Miles Sound System|
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP3, Vista SP1|
|Processor (CPU)||2.6 GHz single-core
2.4 GHz for processors with integrated GPU
|2.4 GHz dual-core|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||20 GB||25 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 6200 |
ATI Radeon X1300
128 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
ATI Radeon HD 3800
512 MB of VRAM
|Sound (audio device)||DirectX compatible|
- The elite textures, if installed, take up an additional 9 GB of hard drive space.
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/225640/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (225640) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- New 120Hz Games Report - last accessed on May 2023
- [ Readme.txt] - last accessed on 2009-10-18
- "Line 276: * Incompatibility with Windows 7 fixed"