Peter Jackson's King Kong Gamer's Edition
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Windows||November 17, 2005|
|King Kong 2: Yomigaeru Densetsu||1986|
|Peter Jackson's King Kong||2005|
|Peter Jackson's King Kong Gamer's Edition||2005|
- Gamer's Edition is an enhanced PC port featuring visual improvements from the Xbox 360 version like high resolution textures, bump mapping, higher quality 3D models and 32-bit color rendering.
- Game has many issues from poor mouse controls to rendering bugs and crashes.
- Was only available digitally (as High-Res Edition) and on some OEM discs.
- Standard version is a PlayStation 2 port with low quality 16-bit textures and 16-bit color rendering. It uses StarForce DRM and is not playable on Windows 8 and later.
Skip intro videos
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Ultra-widescreen||See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)||Vert-. Use ThirteenAG's fix and in
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Can be forced in the GPU control panel.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See Anti-aliasing (AA).|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Enabled by default. When using ThirteenAG's fix vsync will be disabled, playing the game in window will remove screen tearing.|
|60 FPS||See Crashes at 60 FPS.|
|120+ FPS||Limit FPS to 60 to prevent game breaking bugs; use ThirteenAG's fix or RivaTuner Statistics Server.|
- Supports 16:9 resolutions (select 16:9 aspect ratio in video option menu to prevent stretching), but the FOV is Vert- and letterboxed.
|Use ThirteenAG's fix for Hor+ FOV and to remove letterboxing|
- Forcing MSAA or SSAA in the GPU control panel will cause graphical issues, use post-processing AA methods like MLAA.
- Alternatively ReShade or injectSMAA can also be used to force FXAA or SMAA.
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Remapping is only available outside the game.|
|Mouse sensitivity||Use ThirteenAG's fix to further increase it.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|XInput-compatible controllers||Triggers aren't recognized and the right stick sensitivity is all over the place.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Button prompts||Keyboard and mouse button prompts only.|
|Haptic feedback||The vibration setting has effect.|
- Mouse seems to have a dead-zone and camera is constantly being centered vertically during player movement.
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX 3.|
- Several levels are rendered all blurry, like a strong post-processing blur effect is applied over the whole screen. The levels affected are: Necropolis, Brontosaurus, In The Mud, In The Streets Of New York and the final level.
- The game is constantly stuttering making it feel like it is running at 30 FPS, even with constant 60 FPS and stable frametimes.
- This issue mainly effects the following levels: Swamps and In the Mud (however in the latter mission, the lower framerate is only present at the start of the mission).
- After the first encounter with King Kong and after V-Rex encounters in V-Rex and Call Kong levels the camera keeps shaking constantly.
- The camera shaking can be stopped by reloading the game after the next checkpoint, but the problem is that those are not marked in any way in the game.
Player camera spin
- Whenever the game loads a new part of the level it will stutter a bit and if the player was turning in that moment the camera will turn fast and the player can even completely spin around.
Getting stuck on stairs
- In level The Wall player can't climb up the stairs that lead out of the water near the end of the level.
- In level Hayes players can't climb up the stairs that lead to fire before the big door.
- Push forward and keep moving left-right along the stairs until the player climbs up eventually (the edges seem to be the easiest spots to climb).
Game not launching and Rundll32 high CPU usage
- Games located in Games Explorer try to connect to Microsoft servers that were shut down and it causes Rundll32 process to run in a loop.
"No BigFile Specified as First .exe Argument" error message on startup
- The game can not be started directly using the KingKong8.exe.
King Kong not properly installed
Crashes after loading screens or using Alt+Tab
|Run game in a window|
Game breaking bugs at high frame rate
- High frame rates will cause some enemies to freeze, some enemy attacks will not be triggered, NPC scripting will break in certain areas, it will break the screen when the player takes damage and King Kong will not be able to lift pillars off blocked doors preventing further progress.
Crashes at 60 FPS
- In Chased by V-Rex level the game may crash after climbing the initial wall and following the river.
- In Kong To The Rescue level the game may crash during the fight in the final area.
|Limit framerate to 40 FPS|
Objects have broken geometry or no textures
|Hide untextured objects|
|Operating system (OS)||XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||5.4 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 6800
ATI Radeon X1800
256 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
Shader model 3.0 support
- Laptop versions of these cards may work, but are not supported.
- Verified by User:Antrad on June 16, 2019
- king kong fix update · ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack@d7eb194
- Verified by User:Pedrof on 2019-07-28
- Although there is indeed a vibration setting in the menu, even with said option activated neither my Xbox 360 controller nor my DirectInput controller rumbled.