Final Fantasy VII (2012)
This page is for the 2012 re-release. For the original 1998 version, see Final Fantasy VII. For the 2020 Microsoft Store version, see Final Fantasy VII Windows Edition. For the remake, see Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade.
|Windows||August 14, 2012|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase|
|Controls||Direct control, Menu-based|
|Art styles||Pre-rendered graphics|
- This is a re-release of the 1998 PC port of the PlayStation version updated with compatibility for modern operating systems along with additional new features.
- Frame rate is capped at 30 FPS, (15 FPS during combat and FMVs). 60FPS BATTLES mostly alleviates the combat situation.
|Retail||SecuROM 8 DRM.|
|Green Man Gaming|
- All versions require a Square Enix account.
- The 2013 retail release does not have the 3x SecuROM DRM activation limit that the 2012 release had. Customers who purchased the 2012 retail release can contact Square Enix for a replacement.
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\ff7*.cfg
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\networkSettings.dat
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/39140/pfx/[Note 1]|
Save game data location
|Steam||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\user_<user-id>\|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/39140/pfx/[Note 1]|
- 150 save slots available (10 save folders x 15 save files per folder)
|OneDrive||Requires enabling backup of the Documents folder in OneDrive on all computers.|
|Steam Cloud||Cloud saves sync through the launcher using Square Enix's cloud service.|
|Widescreen resolution||Displays in 4:3, or stretches to widescreen.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||Menu screens are capped at 60 FPS, combat and FMVs are capped at 15 FPS, and everything else is capped at 30 FPS. Use The Reunion for 60 FPS combat.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||See the glossary page for potential alternatives.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Mouse is unsupported.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support||Launcher lacks controller navigation support.|
|Controller remapping||The four directions are mapped to X and Y axes. Lacks support for POV hat (D-pad) and Triggers on standard DirectInput and XInput controllers.
Remapping to keyboard using "Steam Controller Configuration" is the simplest and does not require additional third party software. Other program such as Joy2Key, Antimacro, or XInputPlus can also work.
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|Generic/other controllers||Supports "joystick type" DirectInput devices.|
|Separate volume controls||Music, Sound Effects|
|Mute on focus lost||The entire game pauses when put in the background.|
|Royalty free audio|
|Japanese||Not included in the Steam release. Available on the Japanese Square Enix store or through Final Fantasy VII Windows Edition.|
|Polish||Fan translation, download.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Fan translation, download.|
|Russian||Fan translation by FFRTT.ru|
- A gameplay overhaul for both the Final Fantasy VII (2012) and 1998 version.
- Compatible with The Reunion and 7th Heaven.
- Currently at version 2.0.991 as of December 4, 2021.
- New content, such as new bosses and enemies.
- Restored cut content such as additional dialogues, scenes and side quests.
- Improved enemy AI.
- Rebalanced abilities, skills and equipment.
- QoL improvements, such as additional save points, merchants and skippable cutscenes.
- Additional game modes with altered content.
- The Reunion is a fan-made mod pack with a host of tweaks and fixes. It is incompatible with the other popular frontend, 7th Heaven.
- The Reunion is not compatible with Steam achievements, cloud saves, and the trainer. However, The Reunion can be disabled using "Disable_The_Reunion = y" in its Options files, so the player can switch between "Steam mode" and "Reunion mode".
The setup will make a new folder called "The_Reunion". Saves will now be stored in the "save" folder in the root directory. After installing, only very basic functionalities are enabled. Features such as model overhaul, transparent textboxes, etc, need to be changed from "n" to "y" in the Options file.
- For smooth 60 FPS battles, make it "_60fps_Battles = 2".
- The installer uses the retranslation by default. If you want the original Square localization, make it "New_Translation = 0"
- If you want the localized names like Marlene and Phoenix Down instead of Marin and Phoenix Tail, make it "y" for Series_Canon, Place_Canon and Name_Canon.
Note that "MENU OVERHAUL", which is no longer supported in newer versions of The Reunion, does not apply to this version of the game and has never worked on it. Instead, Steam users have "MENU ENHANCEMENT".
The Reunion offers these main features, and more:
- BEACAUSE: In-game text translation fixes.
- MENU ENHANCEMENT: Updates menus to look neater
- AUDIO REPLACEMENT: A complete replacement for the original sound module. All known bugs with the original sound module have been resolved.
- WEAPON: Adjusts various aspects of the game's difficulty to be smoother.
- MODEL OVERHAUL: Improves in-game character models.
- 60FPS BATTLES: Corrects the battle frame rate of the PC versions to be 60
- SOLDIER QUEST: 99 1:35 Soldiers will be hidden throughout the world as collectables.
- MEMORY PATCHES: Various memory patches, such as cheats et al..
- Reunion also adds a speedup function (2x/4x/8x) by pressing select and square, which can make grinding less tedious. If it doesn't work, try start and triangle for speedup, and start and X for cutscene skip. Also, make sure all controls are bound correctly in the in-game config.
- If you want to make most of your pixel space in windowed mode, if you are using 1920x1080 resolution, you can set it to 1352x1014. 1372x1029 also works if you do not care about missing the white bar at the bottom during battles. Note that this will cause slight pixelation on the backgrounds.
- Reunion does not include filtered HD backgrounds by default. Instructions on how to use The Reunion with Satsuki's upscaled HD backgrounds are here. Simply drag and drop into the GLOBAL folder (when it asks to replace files, choose yes).
- By default, the mod uses its new translation. If someone prefers the original translation, then set "New_Translation = n".
Reunion does not come with HD UI. For English-language only, download Vanilla Theme User Interface:
Choose between Redone and Upscaled. Most will probably want Redone. Simply drag and drop.
|Optional: Add sleeker thinner borders|
#applies dialog border to menus 919E26 = 6C
|Optional: ZomiPlay font|
HD battle models for main characters
Download the model pack in the first comment here (password: Beast).
Extract everything to the root > data folder (except "movies", unless you want the Crisis Core opening remake video).
This upscales the main cast, although Cloud, Barret and Red XIII need additional downloads below, and there is no HD Cait Sith at the moment. Some enemies have new models with this mod; Shinra SOLDIERs are have higher-quality models taken from Crisis Core. Jenova-LIFE is re-imagined to look like a gold-plated armor instead of a red biological monster. Jenova can be returned to its original design here (extract the three folders that end with "Shaded" into The_Reunion > BASE > 60i > battle.
For Cloud, download APZ Cloud Mature (click under RELEASEd near top). Extract to The_Reunion > BASE > Model_Overhaul > battle.
For Red XIII and Barret, there is cmh175 Red XIII and HQ Barret175 (only extract to the same location). Make sure to download the unshaded Red XIII because the shaded version has a shadow glitch on his belly when Red victory poses.
HD field models for Cloud and Red XIII
Although Reunion comes with optional higher quality models with more realistic proportions by turning on Character Overhaul, some may prefer these models.
- APZ Cloud Field - Download from Mediafire. Go to The_Reunion > BASE > Model_Overhaul and extract "high" and "chocobo" folders. For "char" and "world", look inside and choose between having a sword or swordless version, and extract accordingly.
- For Red XIII, go here, download LGP version (not shaded model). Extract everything inside the "Field" folder to the "char" folder.
HD battlefield and world map textures
- Although Satsuki's pack has upscaled filtered battlefield and world map textures, there is another mod called Avalanche Arisen which includes even higher detail. However, in order to install Avalanche Arisen, you must install a Reunion compatible version.
- The special-made pack also includes special character models, although not everyone will want them since they clash with the other models in the game. If you do want them, then just copy and replace all the folders.
- Download this special-made pack (it is 5GB, so it may take a while). Alternatively, this (only 300mb but lacks special models and world map).
- After downloading, only copy and replace the GLOBAL > Texture > battle folder to The Reunion folder for HD battlefields.
- Afterwards, copy and replace the GLOBAL > Texture > world folder to The Reunion folder for an HD world map.
Other useful mods
Here are some more optional Reunion-compatible mods:
- Modern Nomura portraits - Put in The_Reunion > BASE > New_Translation > texture > menu.
- Rename Music for the Reunion (by unab0mb) - A script which renames music to be compatible. Music goes in The_Reunion > BASE > Music.
- Disable battle shadows - Self-explanatory, some may prefer no shadows instead of dark circles.
- No Chibis in FMVs - Edits the chibis out of FMVs so characters have a consistent realistic appearance.
- Higher HD field scenes - While satsuki's backgrounds are a basic filtered upscale of the field backgrounds, various modders have completely re-rendered scenes. Currently about 10% are done. Download the .rar and extract it to The_Reunion > Global > Texture > field and replace everything.
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)||2 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||3 GB|
|Video card (GPU)||DirectX 9.0c compatible|
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/39140/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (39140) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Verified by User:Aemony on 2022-06-26
- DotEmu is credited in both the Steam and Microsoft Store versions.
- New features:
- Character Booster, which increases HP, MP and Gil levels to maximum.
- Cloud save game functionality (but no Steam Cloud support).
- Online profile and achievements.
- Steam Forums :: Increasing FPS
- Qhimm Forums :: 60FPS BATTLES - last accessed on May 2023
- Reddit /r/gamedeals :: Final Fantasy VII Square Enix Store DRM Discussion - last accessed on May 2023
- Reddit /r/gamedeals :: Final Fantasy VII Square Enix Store SecuROM Limit Confirmation - last accessed on May 2023
- Steam Forums :: SecuROM is removed, only Square Enix account needed - last accessed on May 2023