Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
|Turtle Rock Studios|
|Windows||March 23, 2004|
|macOS (OS X)||February 21, 2013|
|Linux||February 21, 2013|
|Monetization||One-time game purchase|
|Counter-Strike: Condition Zero||2004|
|Counter-Strike NEO -White Memories-||2005|
|Counter-Strike Online (series)|
|Counter-Strike: Global Offensive||2012|
- The macOS (OS X) version of this game does not work on macOS Catalina (version 10.15) or later due to the removal of support for 32-bit-only apps.
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero is a remaster of the original Counter-Strike with Bot AI, enhanced graphics, and a singleplayer challenge mode. Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes is a linear single-player game based on multiplayer Counter-Strike's gameplay, with inspiration from Half-Life.
The game was originally announced in May 2001 and was in development by Rogue Entertainment. Later that year, the development company went defunct, so Valve Software handed development over to Gearbox Software, who had prior experience with the Half-Life 1 expansion packs. Gearbox overhauled the game's graphics and models, and worked on implementing several new maps and features (including some which went on to be added to future games), but delays and changes in the plan for the single-player resulted in Gearbox pulling out of the project and the single-player development being handed over to Ritual Entertainment. Ritual converted the multiplayer maps from Gearbox's Condition Zero into 18 unconnected single-player missions, and the multiplayer portion was handled by Turtle Rock Studios, the developers of the Xbox port. The game was expected to release in early 2003 alongside the Xbox port, but critical reception was poor, so Valve assigned Turtle Rock to finish development. The resulting product was similar to Gearbox's version, but contained mostly remade maps from the original game. 12 of Ritual's single-player missions were released as a bundled side-game subtitled "Deleted Scenes", with the 6 remaining missions being re-added via updates.
The multiplayer service is still online with user-run servers on Steam, and the Steam version continues to get stability updates along with the other first-party GoldSrc engine titles.
- GitHub Issue Tracker for Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and other GoldSrc-based games
- Steam Community Discussions for Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
- Steam Community Discussions for Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes
|Retail||SecuROM 5 DRM.|
|Retail||Counter-Strike 1 Anthology.|
|Steam||Includes Deleted Scenes. Sold together with Counter-Strike.|
- All non-Steam releases can be redeemed on Steam.
DLC and expansion packs
|Deleted Scenes||This is a bonus singleplayer game included with Condition Zero when you purchase Counter-Strike.|
Configuration file(s) location
|macOS (OS X)||<path-to-game>/Half-Life/czero/|
*.cfgstore the configuration.
- This game does not follow the XDG Base Directory Specification on Linux.
Save game data location
|macOS (OS X)||<path-to-game>/Half-Life/czero/Save/|
- Deleted Scenes data is under
|Widescreen resolution|| Vert-; game looks cropped when using widescreen resolution.
World map in Deleted Scenes displays improperly in widescreen modes, but is still useable.
|Ultra-widescreen||Adjusting FOV is necessary.|
|4K Ultra HD||UI becomes too small.|
|Field of view (FOV)||Can modify with
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||On by default; can be modified using the
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||4x MSAA; can be disabled with
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Can be disabled using the console command
|60 FPS||Capped at 100 FPS.|
|High dynamic range display (HDR)||See the glossary page for potential alternatives.|
|-window -noborder|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Enabled by default. To disable select Raw mouse input under Options, Mouse.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Lost with Linux update.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Fan translation, download.|
|Serbian||Fan translation, download.|
- For more information, see the "Half-Life Dedicated Server" section of our GoldSrc article.
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|UDP||6003, 7002, 27010, 27015, 27025|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
Detail textures option is greyed out on hardware that supports multitexturing
- This can be caused by using workarounds to enable overbright lighting, including for other GoldSrc titles.
|Revert changes (Nvidia Profile Inspector)|
|Revert changes (GLIntercept)|
Black screen on startup
|Disable FBO rendering|
Windows 7/Vista Performance Fix
- In Windows 7 or Vista with modern hardware, some users may experience extremely low frame rates during gameplay.
|Set HL.exe to high priority|
Performance issues with dynamic lights on Intel graphics (OpenGL)
- Dynamic light sources being present, such as the flashlight or flickering lights, causes significant frame rate drops and lag spikes on Intel graphics.
|Use this GLIntercept config|
|Direct3D||7||Removed after OS X and Linux support was added.|
|macOS (OS X)||This 32-bit-only macOS game does not work on macOS Catalina (10.15) or later.|
|Audio||Miles Sound System|
- Games running on the GoldSrc engine can utilize GoldSrc Engine Console Commands for various tasks.
- The console is enabled by default in GoldSrc games, press ~ to open it.
|Operating system (OS)||98, ME, 2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||500 MHz||800 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||96 MB||128 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||400 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||16 MB of VRAM||32 MB of VRAM|
|Sound (audio device)||Windows compatible|
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Deleted Scenes does not have the option to enable detail textures, as the vanilla release build lacks detail textures.
- News - Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Released! - last accessed on 2023-07-02
- Shacknews - Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (archived 2003-01-27) - last accessed on 2002-12-30
- .plan File for Randy Pitchford - Blue's News - last accessed on 2002-12-06
- Steam HL1 5.1 sound - Steam discussions forums.
- Verified by User:SirYodaJedi on 2022-07-23
- valve, pls fix overbright compatibility with detail textures; Direct3D did this perfectly fine
- Steam Community - last accessed on May 2023
-