Controller:Nvidia SHIELD Controller
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
This page is a stub: it lacks content and/or basic article components. You can help to by adding an image or additional information.
|USB-Micro, wireless networking without adapter|
|Nvidia SHIELD Portable|
|SHIELD Controller (2017)|
- Must be connected via USB.
- Does not directly support XInput out of the box; installing GeForce Experience is required for the SHIELD Controller to work on XInput titles.
- Battery lasts over 40+ hours before needing a recharge.
- Controller has handsfree microphone, 3.5mm stereo headset jack, volume control buttons and touchpad.
- Non-Geforce GPU users can use unofficial ShieldControllerWinDriver.
- GeForce Experience driver has limitation. The wireless capability, headset jack, and microphone are not supported on Windows PCs. Additionally, the volume buttons and Android Home button are not supported.
- Wireless connection is working only with Nvidia SHIELD devices.
- 1 × clickable 1 point capacitive touchpad: ᴛᴏᴜᴄʜᴘᴀᴅ
- 1 × microphone
- 2 × clickable analog sticks: LS, RS
- 2 × analog triggers: LT, RT
- 2 × digital shoulder buttons: LB, RB
- 6 × digital action buttons: 𝐀, 𝐁, 𝐗, 𝗬, -, +
- 4 × capacitive buttons: ɴᴠɪᴅɪᴀ, ʙᴀᴄᴋ, ʜᴏᴍᴇ, sᴛᴀʀᴛ
- 4 × digital directional buttons (d-pad): ↑, ↓, ←, →
- Nvidia released new version of controller in 2017. It's smaller and lighter, has slide/touch volume control, physical NVIDIA home/back/start buttons and IR blaster. New controller doesn't have touchpad. Official driver supports rumble effects.
Use with PC platforms
- Nvidia GeForce owners can download GeForce Experience. Once installed, GeForce Experience will automatically detect the controller and install the required drivers and firmware updates.
- Custom application reWASD lets remap whole controller and works on Windows 7 or newer. Software gives advanced customization options eg. reassigning buttons to keyboard or mouse actions, macros, activate custom modes etc.
- Can work standalone without GeForce Experience by using custom driver in 64-bits and 32-bits version which supports DirectInput and can be recognized by XInput.
- Enables rumble support.
- NVIDIA button, Home button, Volume Up, Volume Down, Touchpad buttons can be remapped.
- Touchpad can have different actions for tap and press events.
- Allows emulate virtual DS4 controller to play PS4 Remote Play or PS Now.
- Allows emulate virtual Xbox 360 controller to play XInput compatible games.
- Not free of charge. 14-days trial.
- Touchpad doesn't work as mouse touchpad yet, but it's going to be fixed in the future.
- Custom configs for Nvidia Shield Controller can be found in official Community Configs Library maintained by reWASD users. It's placed in Stadia/Xbox Series X/DualSense filter.
- It's working out-of-the-box on Linux, no custom driver needed.
- Custom driver which works using wireless Wi-Fi Direct technology.
- Can be recognized as Xbox 360 controller but after manual assignment. Controller cannot be found in Supported Controller Database, so Steam recognizes it as standard DirectInput device.
- Not capable of making full use of Steam Input. Touchpad is not supported in configuration menu and always work as mouse touchpad.
Steam Link compatibility
- Works natively over USB; the wireless mode only works with WiFi Direct and even then only with the Shield Portable, Tablet and TV. Buttons mapped correctly. Mouse trackpad is detected but doesn't really work, though the mouse 1 & 2 buttons do. 
- Works without any drivers on any operating system that supports Steam.
- Can be used just to send input from a controller to a PC. Go into Streaming options, hit 𝗬 and disable video and audio streaming.
- Won't work great unless you connect it to LAN or a low latency Wi-Fi.
Support in games
- PC games that support the XInput standard are supported. Games with generic DirectInput support are supported by custom driver.
Games with touchpad support
- Touchpad is placed on the front of the controller, the capacitive type touchpad is a clickable 1-point touchpad. The functionality of the touchpad can differ from between games but usually emulates mouse. Recognized gestures: swipe and scroll.
- reWASD has limitation and only allows to remap click and tap actions. Remapping touchpad actions disable mouse emulation.
- There is no software which allows to emulate DualShock 4's touchpad basic gestures.
- Number of games which natively support touchpad controls is limited and touchpad support is still not a PC standard.
Games with microphone support
- Games with implemented voice chat are able to use controller's microphone, but microphone support for Nvidia SHIELD Controller is not implemented yet.
- VoiceBot and VoiceAttack allows to control games and applications by voice commands.
- List of Microphone-controllerd computer games.
- Total number of games: 2,274.
- Please note, that this is only list for games that offer XInput button prompts.
- Some may require use of Xbox 360 controller emulation. Refer to game-specific articles for details.
|Controller button||Button label and axis|
|Left stick||Button 4, X-axis, Y-axis|
|Right stick||Button 3, X-rotation, Z-rotation|
|NVIDIA button||Button 13|
|D-pad up||POV up|
|D-pad down||POV down|
|D-pad left||POV left|
|D-pad right||POV right|
|Trackpad||Left Mouse Button, Mouse touchpad|
|Volume Up||Volume Up|
|Volume Down||Volume Down|