Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Windows||Semi Logic Entertainment|
|Windows||August 31, 1997|
|Series||Legacy of Kain|
|Legacy of Kain|
|Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain||1997|
|Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver||1999|
|Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2||2001|
|Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2||2002|
|Legacy of Kain: Defiance||2003|
- Some crashes and other issues on modern operating systems, though modded exes fix this.
- Unofficial patches eliminate loading times.
- 40 FPS lock (slightly slower animations than PSX), 15 and 18 FPS FMVs. Fixed in OpenGL wrapper.
- FMVs have inferior video quality compared to the PSX and have mono audio, though there are patches that replace the videos.
- Some sounds are inferior in quality to the PSX i.e. voices of the spirit forges and blood fountains lacking reverb and vocal distortion, though a patch can be used to fix this.
|Retail||Physical copy protection: bad sectors.|
- New copies and digital distribution unavailable due to legal issues with past developers and publishers.
- Windowed mode support, FMVs plays without interlacing, optional unfiltered scaler, WinXP/7/10 compatibility fix, removed CD check, 60 fps support like in PS1 version, optional PS1 fmv support, HQ cutscenes with stereo sound, subtitles and more.
- Includes the HQ Sound Patch.
- Fixes a host of crashes, fixes credits, fixes speed bugs, removes the CD check, and offers its own installation method that allows for modern path characters such as parentheses. Replaces and supersedes Raistlin633's modded exe.
- Allows nearest neighbor or xBRz scaling
- Fixes the color bug on Windows Vista and 7
- Fixes artifacts on the mouse cursor
- Adds full compatibility with XInput controllers with working triggers and dpad
HQ Sound Patch
- Replaces some of the lower quality audio files in the Windows port with those from the original PlayStation release.
|HQ Sound Patch|
Bink Video Support Pack
- A compilation with every Bink video support patch from NosGothica.org, which has shut down.
- Includes Bink files of the FMVs from the PSX version, which have better video quality and stereo sound.
|Install Bink Video Support Pack|
HQ Video Patch
- Replaces every video in the Windows port with Bink conversions of the FMVs from the original PlayStation release.
- The PSX videos have better image quality compared to the NosGothica patch.
|HQ Video Patch|
Skip intro videos
Configuration file(s) location
- Config files are not in plain text format.
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||640x480, 640x480i, and 320x240 pillarboxed only (latter 2 accessible by pressing F12 in-game).|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Use DxWnd or Verok's GL wrapper & patch.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|60 FPS||40 FPS lock, 15 and 18 FPS FMVs. Use Verok's GL wrapper & patch to increase the FPS.|
|120+ FPS||Gameplay is tied to the framerate and going above 60 FPS makes the game play too fast.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Use Peixoto's patch or Verok's GL wrapper & patch to add proper support for XInput controllers.|
|Full controller support||Cannot quit game or skip FMVs (hard-coded escape key). Qualifies otherwise.|
|Controller remapping||Uses numbers, not face buttons|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Sound and music.|
|Surround sound||Possible via OpenAL with Verok's GL wrapper & patch|
|Subtitles||Possible with Verok's GL wrapper & patch|
|Mute on focus lost||Losing focus causes screen to go black. Transitioning FMV<->Game fixes.|
|EAX support||Possible via OpenAL with Verok's GL wrapper & patch|
|English||Subs possible with Verok's GL wrapper & patch|
|Hungarian||Subs possible with Verok's GL wrapper & patch|
|Italian||Subs possible with Verok's GL wrapper & patch|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Subs possible with Verok's GL wrapper & patch|
|Russian||Fan translation by Allard. Subs possible with Verok's GL wrapper & patch|
System Locale/Language Check Failed
- This error occurs on game startup with modern Windows when your language for non-Unicode programs is set to something the game doesn't "support" (note that in practice the vast majority of games run fine on different locales from their own).
|Change the language for non-Unicode programs|
Game Crashes When Loading a Save or After Playing the Introduction Cutscene
|Disable Data Execution Prevention for KAIN.exe|
Game Freezes After Initial Dialog in Windows 9X
- After the introduction of the game the screen freezes. This bug is active when your computer's performance is too high for your game requirements. To prevent this from happening it is necessary to decrease the FSB (Front Side Bus) frequency to reach a value that does not cause problems with the game, usually 100Mhz or 66Mhz. It is the frequency of the FSB clock that will determine how will the performance of the motherboard and processor of a machine. For those who do not have hardware with this configuration capability a less efficient alternative is to use software specialized in occupying processor resources to slow the execution of applications, known as "cpu killer".
|Operating system (OS)||95|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 100 MHz||Intel Pentium 166 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||16 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||12 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||SVGA |
1 MB of VRAM
|Sound (audio device)||Sound Blaster compatible|
- Verified by User:MetalPlateMage on 25 July 2015
- Tested using ShadowPlay.