Area 51 (2005)
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Midway Studios Austin|
|Windows||June 8, 2005|
|Area 51 (2005)||2005|
|BlackSite: Area 51||2007|
- This game is available as a free download.
- The installer on the retail version of the game does not function correctly on modern operating systems (Windows 7 and later). See Installing the CD/DVD version for a solution or install the free version.
- This game was released as a free download sponsored by the US Air Force.
- It can be downloaded here. Install the latest patch to remove the online DRM.
Skip intro videos
- Install the latest patch(1.2) to remove copy protection and fix various issues.
- Latest patch for German and European is version 1.1, it can be found in the above link or here and here.
Configuration file(s) location
UserVConfig.inicontains player video settings.
UserInputConfig.inicontains player input settings.
LangConfig.inicontains the game language settings.
VConfig.inicontain default settings; these files do not need to be edited directly.
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||The game is Vert- by default. Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix.|
|Multi-monitor||Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix.|
|4K Ultra HD||Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix. HUD elements and menu text are not scaled and are very small.|
|Field of view (FOV)||Default FOV is 60°. Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Can be forced in the GPU control panel.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Control panel hack causes glitches, see Anti-aliasing (AA).|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Enabled by default.|
|120+ FPS||At higher fps, jumping does not work correctly. See High frame rate breaks jump physics.|
Set windowed in UserVConfig.ini
- Game doesn't support AA natively and forcing it through GPU control panel causes white outlines around letters and some objects.
Use any injector that has FXAA (like ReShade)
Turn on morphological filtering in the graphics card control panel(AMD)
Use Virtual/Dynamic Super Resolution
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Disabled by default.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls||Effects, music and speech.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Online play||GameSpy servers have been shut down. To play online download Project Dreamland.|
FOV changes after some cutscenes
- After certain in-game cut-scenes FOV changes to a very low value. It changes back automatically when a new level is started or if the player loads the game from the next checkpoint.
Problem installing the CD/DVD version
- The installation process fails with the message "The wizard was interrupted before Area 51(R) could be completely installed".
Start the installation manually using the command console
"An internet connection is required to enjoy free, ad-supported game play" error
- The advertising servers for the free US Air Force version are no longer running.
Choppy cutscene playback
- FMV cutscenes play incorrectly in fullscreen mode on modern systems.
Broken textures and lighting
- On some systems lighting will be broken and all textures will be black. This is a DirectX 11 issue and can be solved with a DirectX 9 wrapper.
Use WineD3D for Windows
Use DgVoodoo 2 for Windows
High frame rate breaks jump physics
- FPS >50 causes inability to jump while moving up sloped surfaces. FPS >100 breaks jumping mechanic entirely..
- Jumping is not required for combat, and in most cases where jumping from one platform to another is required, there is an invisible scripted "jump assist" that allows the player to jump across gaps, even though normal jumping is prevented by high frame rate.
Video capture software such as FRAPS can be used to lower frame rate to 60 fps if jumping is required but there is not pre-scripted "jump assist", such as the section in the 2nd level where you are required to jump over moving beams of electricity
Alternatively, because the game has permanent v-sync, if your monitor has a manual refresh rate toggle button, switching the refresh rate to 60 hz will also cause the frame rate to be locked at 60
|Audio||Miles Sound System|
|Multiplayer||GameSpy||Servers have been shut down. To play online download Project Dreamland.|
|Operating system (OS)||2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel 1.4 GHz
AMD 1.2 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||3 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon 9500
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
- Game Bundle Download Sponsored by Air Force
- Verified by User:Garrett on 2014-07-25
- Verified by User:Antrad on September 1, 2017
- Area 51 FOV issues
- Problems Installing Midway Games Area 51
- Broken textures and lighting - last accessed on 2020-04-27
- Broken textures and lighting - last accessed on 2020-08-8