Age of Empires Online
|Gas Powered Games|
|Windows||August 16, 2011|
|Controls||Multiple select, Point and select|
|Themes||Africa, Classical, Egypt, Europe, Middle East, Historical|
|Series||Age of Empires|
- For Games for Windows - LIVE on Windows 8 or later, install the latest Games for Windows - LIVE software.
- This game requires a constant internet connection for all game modes.
Age of Empires Online was a free-to-play online multiplayer online real time strategy game originally developed by Robot Entertainment until February 24, 2011, when Gas Powered Games took over, and published by Microsoft Studios. Part of the Age of Empires series, the game has players develop an ancient civilization from rise to fall. Players also develop their own capital city for each of the game's six civilizations, all which continue to exist even when offline.
Further game development ceased on January 3, 2013. On August 22, 2013, Microsoft announced that the Games for Windows - LIVE Marketplace would be shut down, only allowing for current or former players to download the game. Servers were shut down on July 1, 2014. However, in 2017, Age of Empires Online was revived by an independent development team using Microsoft's publicly-released developer kit for the game in the form of Project Celeste. Re-released using a non-commercial license from Microsoft, it includes all features and functions, including single-player and multiplayer modes, from the original release, plus balance improvements, bug fixes, and new content, which includes plans to add the Roman civilization that was previously being developed prior to the game's end of continued development.
- Official website for the series
- Official Discord server for the series
- Official forums
- Steam Community Discussions
- Project Celeste Discord
- All official versions required Games for Windows - LIVE DRM[Note 1] and a constant internet connection for all game modes.
- No longer listed on Steam but can be installed by pasting this URL into a web browser:
steam://install/105430. Additionally, Project Celeste, which is required to play the game today, provides a standalone version for download.
DLC and expansion packs
|Premium Egyptian Civilization Pack|
|Premium Greek Civilization Pack|
|Defense of Crete Booster Pack|
|Pro Persian Civilization|
|Skirmish Booster Pack|
|Premium Celtic Civilization Pack|
|Empires Online Domination Pack|
|Pro Civilization Command Pack|
|Steam Starter Pack|
|Celebration Grab Bag|
|Empire Booster Bundle|
Configuration file(s) location
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/105430/pfx/[Note 2]|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||Toggle in settings or with Alt+↵ Enter.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Set resolution in-game then toggle in settings or with Alt+↵ Enter.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Choice of Off, Low or High.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS|
|Color blind mode||UI options, Friend or Foe Colors; player is blue, allies yellow, enemies red.|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls||SFX, Ambient and Music.|
|Subtitles||Dialogue is text-based.|
|Mute on focus lost||Always mutes (no option to override).|
|English||Some incidental dialogue, but is otherwise text-based.|
- Official release required a Microsoft account (local profiles were not supported).
- Project Celeste account required for online play today.
|Online play||Official servers have been shut down; Project Celeste required to play the game today.|
|Peer-to-peer||All player-vs-player matches are peer-to-peer.|
Crash to desktop when loading
- For some players the game may crash to the desktop after loading.
|Task-switch while loading game|
"Missing a valid product key" or "Enter the product key for your game" prompt
|Install Marketplace client|
|Accept new license agreement|
Game doesn't start after clicking Play (no error message)
|Install Games for Windows Marketplace Client|
Install the Games for Windows Marketplace Client.
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP3, Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)||Dual Core, 2 GHz or higher|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB (XP, Vista Home Basic); 1.5 GB (Vista Premium/Ultimate, 7 32-bit); 2.5 GB (7 64-bit)|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||5 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 128 MB of VRAM
Shader model 2 support
|Other||Broadband internet connection|
- Games for Windows - LIVE DRM features: SSA activation, requires a Microsoft account - local profiles are not supported.
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/105430/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (105430) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.