This page is for the 1998 first-person shooter. For the unrelated 1991 game published by Ubi Soft, see Unreal (1991).
|Return to Na Pali||Legend Entertainment|
|Mac OS (Classic)||Westlake Interactive|
|macOS (OS X)||Westlake Interactive|
|Linux||Ryan C. Gordon|
|Unreal Anthology||Midway Games|
|Unreal Engine 1|
|Windows||May 22, 1998|
|Mac OS (Classic)||September 1, 1998|
|macOS (OS X)||2005|
|Unreal Tournament 2003||2002|
|Unreal II: The Awakening||2003|
|Unreal Tournament 2004||2004|
|Unreal Tournament 3||2007|
|Unreal Tournament 4||EA|
- The Mac OS X version of this game does not work on Mac OS X Lion (version 10.7) or later due to the removal of support for PowerPC apps.
- Official game site (Archived)
- OldUnreal.com - A site for all classic Unreal games
- Liandri Archives - A dedicated Unreal wiki site that collects information about all the games in the series.
- Unreal SP - A forum dedicated to the Single Player element of Unreal, featuring discussions of maps, cut content, and general trivia.
- Unreal Wiki - A wiki on how to use Unreal Editor, UnrealScript and other technical aspects of Unreal Engine.
- Unreal Admin Wiki - A wiki on how to manage Unreal multiplayer servers.
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
|Retail||Some early versions of the retail game used disc checks.|
|GOG.com||Unreal Gold. Prepackaged with nGlide v1.02.|
- Unreal Gold includes the Return to Na Pali expansion.
- The Linux installer is available for Unreal Gold, Unreal, Return To Na Pali, they are based on Loki Software's linux port Unreal Tournament, although it treats Unreal as a mod. Requires the CD for installation. See Running native Linux version.
- The complete soundtrack is found in
<path-to-game>\Musicin UMX format. These can be converted into standard lossless audio files using a tracker player such as XMPlay or a tracker editor such as OpenMPT.
- A faithful higher quality desktop icon for Windows (and some Linux distros) can be found on the files section.
DLC and expansion packs
|Unreal Mission Pack 1: Return to Na Pali||Included with Unreal Gold.|
|Unreal Fusion Map Pack||Available for free.|
- A list of all official patches can be found at www.oldunreal.com.
- The latest official patch 226Final is available at www.oldunreal.com and at soggi.org.
- The latest official patch 226b for "Return to Na Pali" is available at soggi.org.
A huge patch, it adds support for modern Windows, extra renders, multiple bug fixes, and many other additions. It also includes a patch to allow Unreal to run natively on Linux, however it requires Wine or a Windows partition to get the files.
- Removes DRM from Steam version and disables GOG Galaxy integration.
- If on Mac, try Unreal Gold OS X instead.
- A list of new configuration settings can be found on the OldUnreal forums.
Resolves several issues related to single-player and multiplayer modes
Configuration file(s) location
|Mac OS (Classic)|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/13250/pfx/[Note 2]|
- This game does not follow the XDG Base Directory Specification on Linux.
- Linux version uses a separate INI file called
Save game data location
|Mac OS (Classic)|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/13250/pfx/[Note 2]|
|Widescreen resolution||See the WSGF Unreal entry for details.|
|Multi-monitor||The OldUnreal 227 Patch is required. See the WSGF Unreal entry for details.|
|Ultra-widescreen||The OldUnreal 227 Patch is required. See the WSGF Unreal entry for details.|
|4K Ultra HD|| Force with nGlide or dgVoodoo if using Glide. The OldUnreal 227 Patch is required for other APIs and widescreen.
Option available for double-sized font in main menu.
Use OldUnreal 227 Patch to increase the size of the translator to up to four times the original.
|Field of view (FOV)||Default FOV is 90. The OldUnreal 227 Patch is required for simple selection.
|Windowed||Click the resize icon in the top right corner of the in-game taskbar. Automatically switches to software renderer if using D3D 6/7 or Glide.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||forced via GPU control panel/tools, or use the Direct3D8, Direct3D9, OpenGL, or Direct3D10 renderers and set
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Glide: Use nGlide and force via GPU control panel.
Direct3D8, Direct3D9, and OpenGL: enable MSAA in configuration file or force SGSSAA with Nvidia Profile Inspector.
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Glide: Use nGlide and force in nGlide configurator.
Direct3D8, Direct3D9, and OpenGL: Always on; force off GPU control panel.
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||Glide capped 63fps.For Windows XP and later use nGlide, Unreal DirectX11 Renderer, or the OldUnreal 227 patch's OpenGL or D3D9 renderer to avoid 30 FPS cap.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2048525175 (only changing 0AD7A33B to 00000000 needed).
|High dynamic range display (HDR)|
D3D11/High Res/Widescreen Fix for 227i and earlier
Installing the Unreal DirectX11 Renderer allows you to play the game in high-resolution, widescreen, and Direct3D 11. It is also worth noting that the DX11 renderer will work with the 227 Oldunreal Patches. As of December 30, 2020, the latest Unreal DirectX11 Renderer has ended support for this game. The last supported version is version 1.6.1.
High Resolution Textures
- Use the Unreal HD Textures for high resolution environment textures. Use the High Resolution Skins for higher quality character textures. Preview without reshade Preview with reshade
- Do not use these server-side. Not compatible with Glide, D3D 6/7, or software renderers.
- Authentic to the original textures' artstyle, although some of the HD textures have increased saturation/are more colorful compared to the originals.
- You can choose the quality of the textures to suit your computer's capabilities.
- nGlide's DirectX 9 wrapper does not use mipmapping, resulting in texture aliasing on distant textures. Force SGSSAA or use nGlide's Vulkan wrapper or the 227 patch's OpenGL or D3D9 renderer instead. These also let you force mipmapping, by setting
AlwaysMipmapto true in
- The 227 patch's OpenGL and D3D9 renderers allow you to disable bilinear filtering by setting
NoFilteringto true in
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Additional inputs can be rebound in
|Mouse sensitivity||Separate GUI and camera sensitivity speeds.
Mouse sensitivity is affected by the field of view. Therefore it is recommended to use mouse-sensitivity.com to calculate the sensitivity based on the desired field of view and make sure the DirectInput option (or RawHIDInput if the OldUnreal 227 Patch is installed) in Preferences -> Input is checked as this option ignores the Windows Pointer Speed.
|Mouse input in menus||Cannot scroll lists with a scroll wheel.|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.0 output. Requires DirectSound 3D restoration software for anywhere between 5.1-8.0|
|Mute on focus lost||Only when minimized; does not mute upon Alt+Tab ↹|
|EAX support||A3D 1.x, A3D 2.0, DirectSound3D, EAX 1
A3D support could require to reduce sound channels to 8.
See Restore 3D sound for OpenAL Soft HRTF.
|Russian||Added with Oldunreal's 227 Patch|
|Polish||Only with Oldunreal 227i|
|LAN play||16||Versus, Co-op
|Online play||16||Versus, Co-op
Use the OldUnreal 227 Patch to play without GameSpy.
- All official maps are designed for at most 16 players. However, dedicated servers can be set externally to have the max player limit at 32
- Return to Na Pali campaign will not function under co-op without third-party patches.
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
- This is the default port used. It can be changed externally by the user
User created game profile, requires patch 227i, see vorpx forum profile introduction.
Game crashes with a General Protection Fault upon start-up
|Add Unreal.exe to your DEP exceptions list|
Game does not launch on Windows 10
|Mandatory ASLR prevents game from running|
Brightness slider not working
Low frame rate on Windows 10
|Select 32-bit color depth in game video settings.|
GUI scaling issues
|Use Peixoto's patch (OpenGL and Direct3D 7, 8 or 9)|
|Use nGlide (Glide only) or dgVoodoo 2 (Direct3D or Glide)|
Restore 3D sound
|Use OpenAL Soft|
Change difficulty mid-game
|Use the console to change the difficulty and complete your current level|
Return to Na Pali not playing Audio Logs
|Walk, exit in stealth mode or make a jump.|
If you hold any movement key and exit a level the trigger doesn't work. On older computers with slower load times, you'd have time to react to the loading screen and stop pressing input keys, but it can load fast enough on modern computers to where you may not release in time for the engine to still see that you've pressed the key. What you want to do is exit the level slow and that is achieved in 3 ways:
Or try out mutator UGoldFix which implements various bug fixes (the given issue is addressed too).
Return to Na Pali: Inside UMS Prometheus: the next wave of Space Marines don't beam down
|Kill the marines with a weapon that doesn't gib them like the Combat Assault Rifle, use Unreal v226b, or use UGoldFix|
There is a bug in 277i which can cause the Marines waves not to trigger in the map Inside UMS Prometheus softlocking the game.
When the game type isn't DeathMatch and the level's name isn't "CrashSite2" (which is True for saved games), it assigns value False to the bIsPlayer property. If bIsPlayer == False and a SpaceMarine is gibbed by something powerful (e.g. by amplified ASMD shot or ASMD combo) then Destroy() is called and GotoState('Dying') will not change the state to 'Dying', because the object will be destroyed.
Unreal v226b doesn't have such a problem.
|Direct3D||6, 7, 8, 9||Not included with original release. 6 was added in via Patch v216. 7 was added via Patch v226 and replaced Direct3D 6 support. To add in Direct3D 8 and 9 support, the OldUnreal 227 Patch is required.|
|OpenGL||1.2, 2.0||Since patch v216. OldUnreal 227 Patch adds OpenGL 2.0 support.|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Audio||Galaxy Audio, FMOD, OpenAL||The OldUnreal 227 Patch is required for FMOD and OpenAL. FMOD is used for music, while OpenAL for sound effects.|
|Interface||SDL||SDL is for Linux only. It uses the V1 series.|
|Multiplayer||GameSpy||Not used with OldUnreal 227 Patch.|
Various modifications, custom content such as characters, maps, plugins, and total-conversion mods can be downloaded and installed for Unreal. Like every game in the Unreal franchise, there's a ton of mods floating around the web on fansites like Oldunreal.
- A gameplay enhancement mod from the creator of GMDX. Aims to improve the singleplayer aspect of the game.
- Requires the official OldUnreal Patch 227i.
- Improved visual effects.
- Improved enemy AI.
- Rebalancing and bug fixes, with additional QOL improvements.
- Active development.
- Multiplayer not supported.
Maps are custom levels that are created using mod tools or editors.
- Unreal User Maps is a website hosted by Oldunreal. They host not only maps but the tools you'll need to make them.
A complete list of console commands are listed here.
Running native Linux version
The fastest way possible to run the game on Linux natively is to use one of the Lutris scripts along with Arch Fix one, which fixes the audio issue. For open-source GPU drivers, it sets the Mesa compatibility to 1999. The script uses OldUnreal's Linux build which can be acquired only by installing the patch through Wine, but in Lutris case it is not necessary as it's included in their repository.
However, as the description notes, you must change the
FMODDevices to 27 in
[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem] section in UnrealLinux.ini (Located in System folder) when you change the settings in-game. If the music does not work, get the 32-bit esound package (Sometimes it can be called esd) from the package manager or download one, run esd in Terminal once, then change
FMODOutput to ESD in the same section.
The FAQ for playing Unreal 227 on Linux is on the OldUnreal Wiki.
|Operating system (OS)||95||98|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium 166 MHz||Intel Pentium II 266 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||16 MB||128 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||100 MB||630 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 2 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 5 compatible
|3dfx Voodoo 2
12 MB of VRAM
DirectX 7 compatible
|Operating system (OS)||7.6||9.2.2|
|Processor (CPU)||PowerPC 603e|
|System memory (RAM)||32 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|
|Other||2x CD-ROM drive|
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/13250/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (13250) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- 30 fps limit in fullscreen??? :: Unreal Gold General Discussions
- ReportDirectX11 Renderer for WOT,Rune, HP1&2, CBU and DS9TF version 1.6.2
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Games List - All Titles supporting 3D Audio
- Aureal A3D Central - Frequently Asked Questions - General
- Unreal Gold with 3D Sound (OpenAL Soft HRTF) - YouTube
- Change difficulty in already playing game