Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
|Unreal Engine 2.5|
|Windows||March 21, 2005|
|Themes||Contemporary, Asia, North America|
|Subseries of Tom Clancy|
|Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow||2004|
|Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory||2005|
|Splinter Cell: Double Agent||2006|
|Splinter Cell: Conviction||2010|
|Splinter Cell: Blacklist||2013|
- Based on the Xbox version which had superior graphics compared to the PlayStation 2 and GameCube versions.
- Retail copies often come bundled with StarForce 3.0 DRM which is incompatible with Windows Vista or higher.
- The official multiplayer service is no longer available.
- Multiplayer's versus mode is capped at 32 frames per second, while co-op is capped at 34.4 frames per second.
- A small number of players still roam the multiplayer community on a daily basis.
|Retail||StarForce 3.4.77.02 DRM[Note 1].|
|Epic Games Store|
|Green Man Gaming|
|Ubisoft Store||Included with Ubisoft+.|
- StarForce DRM for this game does not work on modern versions of Windows (see above for affected versions).
- Latest patch 1.05 is here. All patches are available from ubisoft here (if you get a "403 Forbidden" message, simply try again).
- The Steam version is already patched.
Glitched levels of the retail version
- Some retail versions of the game have some glitches (ex. the zipline at the Penthouse). A patch can be applied to fix these issues here. Official patch 1.05 is required, the Steam version is already patched.
Community Map Pack
- The unofficial map pack adds 41 new maps to the game. MR.MIC's Map Pack is also included, bringing the total map count to 56. Some of the maps included in MR.MIC's Map Pack are from Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow's versus mode.
Skip intro videos
|Delete/rename video files|
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%PROGRAMDATA%\Ubisoft\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory\[Note 2]|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/13570/pfx/[Note 3]|
Save game data location
|Windows||%PROGRAMDATA%\Ubisoft\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory\Profiles\[Note 2]|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/13570/pfx/[Note 3]|
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Multi-monitor||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Ultra-widescreen||See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV)|
|Windowed||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Requires widescreen fix, see Widescreen resolution.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Shader Model 3.0 with HDR rendering and antialiasing cannot be used together. To use both, force AA through Nvidia Profile Inspector with this AA compatibility flag:
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS||Multiplayer modes are capped at 32 FPS.|
|120+ FPS||Single-player frame rate is capped at 100 FPS.|
|Use Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Widescreen Fix|
|Widescreen - Singleplayer|
FullscreenViewportX= (line 98) FullscreenViewportY= (line 99)
|Widescreen - Versus|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Remapping||Unable to rebind Mouse Wheel Up and Mouse Wheel Down.|
|Mouse acceleration||See Mouse acceleration.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support||Some menus can not be navigated with a controller.|
|Controller sensitivity||Camera sensitivity can be adjusted via the m_yawSpeed and m_pitchSpeed options in SplinterCell3Settings.ini located in the system folder. Mouse sensitivity set in game also affects the speed of the camera, but only for when a weapon is equipped.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion||Possible with XInput controllers using SCFix.|
|XInput-compatible controllers||See SCFix, below.|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
- Mouse acceleration is enabled when aiming with guns.
- Apply the following fix before creating a profile.
- Xbox 360/One controllers do not work well by default- in particular, the triggers cannot be used.
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.0 with DirectSound3D restoration software.|
|Subtitles||Only in-game subtitles, not available in cutscenes.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX 2, EAX 3.|
|English||Only in-game subtitles, not available in cutscenes.|
|Polish||Retail only. Patch for digital release here.|
|Russian||Retail only. Patch for digital release here.|
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|TCP||6668, 9102, 40000-43000|
|UDP||7776, 8888-8891, 8878, 9011, 9102-9103, 9106-9107, 41006, 44000, 45000-45001|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
- There are issues using Alt+Tab ↹ in fullscreen mode. If used too many times, it will disconnect players connected to your server and can even crash the game.
30 FPS lock/limit
- Netcode only supports a maximum of 30 frames per second for proper sync between players in multiplayer. Bypassing this limit results in things such as co-op actions not executing properly.
- A fan made program can be used to unlock the framerate in multiplayer: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=265715221
Disconnect at random intervals during co-op campaign
- There is an issue for some users happening at random after a couple of minutes where the game disconnects both players while playing the co-op campaign. The issue can be encountered 100% during the training mission while hacking the first laptop the players come across. In subsequent missions it seems to happen randomly after some time. No real fixes have been reported that work for everyone. For some completely uninstalling NOD32 solved the problem.
Game crashes when trying to start new mission / change settings
|Disable any software that hooks into graphic's API (most notably OBS and Dxtory)|
Missing torchlight/flashlight in Versus mode
- Versus mode has problems rendering certain lighting effects on modern machines. This problem makes it very difficult to play properly. Certain shadows may not render and mercenarie's flashlights don't work, severely impairing gameplay. Follow one of the solutions below to fix these issues.
|Hack compatible pixel shaders|
|Use dgVoodoo 2|
Slow motion gameplay on multi-core CPUs in Versus mode
|Use alternate timer|
Night vision/thermal vision/EMF not displaying correctly
- If everything turns white when you activate your night vision and/or turns black when you activate your thermal vision/EMF, follow one of the instructions below.
|Enable Windows Compatibility Mode|
|Use different shader model|
|Disable High dynamic range (HDR)|
Shadows become more broken the wider the screen resolution
|Fix shadow rendering; increase shadow map size|
|Direct3D||8, 9||Single Player/Co-op uses Direct3D 9. Versus mode uses Direct3D 8.|
|Shader Model support||1.1, 2, 3|
|Operating system (OS)||2000||XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium III 1.4 GHz
|Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||4 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 64 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
Shader model 1.1 support
| 128 MB of VRAM
Shader model 3 support
- Supported ATI chipsets: Radeon 8500/9000/X series.
- Supported Nvidia chipsets: GeForce 3/4/FX/6 series.
- Mobile chipsets and the Nvidia GeForce4 MX are not supported.
- This version of StarForce DRM does not work on Windows 8.1, Windows 10, or Windows 11. For supported versions of Windows the StarForce driver may need to be updated manually using SFUPDATE.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/13570/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (13570) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Discontinued Online Multiplayer Server List - Ubisoft Support
- Windows 8.1 support - StarForce Support
- Windows 10 support - StarForce Support
- Verified by User:Antrad on March 2, 2019
- Cloud save support for games available on Ubisoft+ - last accessed on 2021-09-18
- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory 21:9 Review (2560x1080) (60fps) (Ultrawide) - YouTube
- Verified by User:Suicide machine on 2020-09-06
- Network:Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory VS - Tunngle Wiki
- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Review - 3DVelocity.com
- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory w/ EAX & 3D spatial sound 🎧 (OpenAL Soft HRTF audio)
- Uninstall NOD32 source
- Shadows become more broken the wider the screen resolution · Issue #725 · ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack