|Perspectives||Bird's-eye view, Isometric|
|Controls||Point and select|
|RollerCoaster Tycoon 2||2002|
|RollerCoaster Tycoon 3||2004|
|OpenRCT2 (Engine fanport)||2015|
|RollerCoaster Tycoon World||2016|
|RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic||2017|
|RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures||2019|
|RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Complete Edition||2020|
- RollerCoaster Tycoon Wiki - A wiki dedicated to everything RollerCoaster Tycoon related
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
|Retail|| 1999, 2000/2002 Gold, and 2003 Deluxe releases.
All use SafeDisc DRM[Note 1].
|GOG.com||Compatible with modern versions of Windows. Includes expansions and soundtrack.|
- SafeDisc retail DRM no longer functions properly on Windows Vista and later (see above for affected versions).
DLC and expansion packs
|Corkscrew Follies||Also known as Added Attractions in Europe|
RollerCoaster Tycoon has a number of patches available from Atari's FTP server. Additionally, Corkscrew Follies and Loopy Landscapes each have one patch. These will update RollerCoaster Tycoon to v1.08.187, Corkscrew Follies/Added Attractions to v1.10.026, and Loopy Landscapes v1.20.013.
The 2003 Deluxe release, as well as all downloadable versions are already patched to the latest version.
There are two official roller coaster collection downloads from Chris Sawyer, both available via his website. While the "Cat" collection can be used in any version of the game, the "Phobia" collection can only be used in conjunction with games that have either the Corkscrew Follies/Added Attractions or Loopy Landscapes expansion packs.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Windows||<path-to-game>\Saved Games[Note 3]|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/285310/pfx/[Note 2]|
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS|
- This hack only supports the following resolutions: 1280x720 (16:9), 1280x768 (15:9), 1280x1024 (5:4).
- This hack works with the original retail release, not the GOG.com/Steam/etc. versions.
|Hack widescreen resolution|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
|English||UK and US localizations differ in certain names and terms. The Deluxe Edition has US English.|
|Dutch||Unavailable in digital releases|
|Japanese||Expansions were not localized. Unavailable in digital releases|
|Korean||Unavailable in digital releases|
|Polish||Unavailable in digital releases|
|Swedish||Unavailable in digital releases|
- The downloadable versions are already patched to be compatible with modern systems. The fixes below are for the original release.
Setting the game to run in compatibility mode can help fix many issues with launching and playing the game. To do this, right-click the .exe, open Properties and set the game to run in Windows 98 / Windows ME, Windows XP SP2, or Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode from the Compatibility tab.
Some problems can be caused in Windows 7 and Windows Vista by having desktop composition enabled. To turn this off, check the 'Disable desktop composition' option from the Compatibility menu (right-click .exe > Properties > Compatibility).
Dialog boxes not opening/unable to save
Running RollerCoaster Tycoon with visual themes enabled can prevent the open/save dialog box from opening. To fix this, check the 'Disable visual themes' option from the Compatibility menu (right-click .exe > Properties > Compatibility).
Another save game issue can be caused by not running the game as an Administrator. To fix this, check the 'Run this program as an administrator' option from the Compatibility menu (right-click .exe > Properties > Compatibility).
|Operating system (OS)||95, 98|
|Processor (CPU)||90 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||16 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||55 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||1 MB of VRAM|
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 or Windows 11 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255 update is installed.
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/285310/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (285310) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16